Portal

Game looks so cool, do you like it?

Portal is really really awesome in many ways. The things I like about it:
  • the portal system opens up a whole world of sandboxing opportunities
  • the puzzles are challenging but not mind bendingly so
  • while most puzzles have one solution, how you actually physically achieve that solution differs from player to player; in fact, I can't wait to see Portal videos online of people solving some of the rooms in "speed runs" or busting out movement tricks like those near the end of the trailer
  • the moment you fall through a floor, in order to fall out of a wall, and then fall through the floor again in order to build momentum to fly over an obstacle is the moment you realize just how different this game is from everything else out there. Every time I've shown that to people, it never fails to generate "oooohs" or a "wait, what did you just do?"
  • the whole thing is wrapped initially in a humourous, fun shell, with a playful and just straight up weird virtual host guiding you through your tasks, but as you delve further into the game...well, I don't want to say much more, but the cracks begin to show. There's a real eeriness and menace in the game that I haven't felt elsewhere except maybe in Resident Evil
  • It's short; I beat it in about 4.5 hours, but I can't stop going back in and playing.

Anyways...yes, I like it. :)

Back