'poor' biblical interpretation leading to deciet

L

Locarius

Maybe not a good topic for my first few posts, but I would like to hear what you think. I wrote a big long post, but I decided to delete it. Instead I will just throw out the question to the forum

As Christians are we falling into the trap of "Sure, you can believe that if that is how you wish to interpret the scripture"?

Yes and no.

It is a fine line we walk between having a mentor guide us through the scriptures and interpreting it for ourselves. We should do both on our knees in prayer seeking the Holy Ghost's guidance.

We really won't find out if these minor details are right or wrong until we reach Heaven, so why worry over it now. Learn all you can from those around you, from your reading, from commentaries, from discussion with your pastor, sunday school teachers, sunday school peers, those online, those offline. Then pray and seek guidance from God as to the 'interpretation' of the scripture you are talking about.

That said, I do think there are plenty of scripture in the Bible that is not open to interpretation, with the meaning being quite clearly written out for everyone to see. Those we don't get to interprete, rather we follow.

It is quite easy to lead someone astray, should you yourself be as blind as they. Jesus called that 'blind leading the blind.' One blind dude leads another blind dude straight into destruction.
ALSO, Jesus said it would be a far worse fate for the religious leaders to mislead the unlearned of the Scriptures. Bad stuff.
This is an excellent topic to start, my friend. Don't be shy.
Observe one passage dealing with a possible end-times kinda thing: Two men are out in the field. One disappears, the other is left. I have a friend who believes we are currently living after the tribulations, because of Nero and all that, wars, rumors of wars, quakes, storms, blah blah. Disasters that led up to the end of time, and the rapture of the believers. Personally, I believe that while Nero was bad, he ain't the Antichrist.
Now my friend interprets this verse as saying the evil men would be taken away and cast into hell, and the righteous Christians would be left with God on a new earth. I myself believe it is the other way around: the evil men shall be left on Earth to go after God, should they so choose, and the rigtheous shall depart.
But, it's a moot point to argue, as stated. It doesn't alter our final destination, or change how God sees us. It's just an obscure passage that we can debate and argue about to the end of time. But, as Kidan said, not important.
Major points that are misinterpreted can lead to a fall, however...

Yes, this is an excellent topic to start out with. In light of some previous topics, where opinions differed slightly over scripture references, this seems a good point to address.

Well, I had alternative motives when I started this thread, and the point I wanted to address is that I believe that people will be very deceived by the Antichrist if they believe that they will be raptured before the tribulation.

I understand that it is a popular interpretation of the end times, but we must be careful because Jesus said "Do not be deceived" many times while he was on earth. It was one of his most prominent teachings.

Maybe this should be a splinter topic....

The thing is no matter if it's a pre, mid, or post tribulation rapture, a Christain should know better than to be deceived by anyone claiming to be a Christ-figure.
We are ordered to be ready on a moment's notice for He will come like a theif in the nite. So we should be prepared and prayed up so that we can resist any trails or tribulations that come our way.

Besides, the doctrine of pre, mid or post tribulation raptures is one of those things you shouldn't worry over as arguing over it just causes strife, rather we should be prepared for which one happens irregardless.

However, it also says we won't miss the Day of the LORD.
Be certain: there are two days, The Day of Christ, and The Day of the Lord. The Day of the Lord is His wrath day. That is the "Day the Earth Stands Still." It is the day when fire will dissolve the elements and roll them up like a scroll. Very vivid. Imagine what a scroll looks like rolling up, and imagine the clouds doing the same from the intensity of the heat.
The Day of Christ is the Day of Rapture. That is the day that will come and we shall disappear.
Now, whether or not the Antichrist is yet to come, or has come, matters not. What matters is being Christian. Be ready, for God comes as a thief in the night, and no man knows the hour except the Father. If the Antichrist comes and we're killed for our faith, better yet, for suffering for His name is a blessing, says He in Matthew 5. If the Antichrist comes and we're taken before then, how awesome is that? We're with God while the rest of the world is sucking bad.
And you know what will be real sad? When all the atheists who have heard it from every possible Christian associate, if still alive, find out everything "those fanatic zealot Christians' have been saying and still say is horrendously true...That will suck far more, I believe: seeing you had the chance and missed it, with intent to miss it.

Either that or you'll be bumping shoulders with some very embarrassed people when you realise that all the "holier than thou" stuff was for nothing.

I believe that one of your own said that should the bible not be infalliably correct, then you guys have a world of pain to answer for.

Eon

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I believe that one of your own said that should the bible not be infalliably correct, then you guys have a world of pain to answer for.

Yes you are correct there will always be consiquences for sin but God forgives us.

Oh so true, Eon. Paul the Apostle said so...yeah, the Paul that is so idolized across this miserable globe. That Paul. If the Word was false, we are the poorest of men.
I figured you would reply to that Eon. But then, if Christians are wrong, we'll never know: for the Antichrist may never rise, and God may never return...so Christians will continue to look forward in hope, and when they die they see a miserable nothingness to greet them in eternity.
That would suck just as bad.
And please, not ALL Christians pull the "holier than thou". We're not supposed to, we're not told to, in fact, it's a sin, by God's standards. We're not better than you, morally. We're purified by God, and that absolves us from sin. In that sense, we are holy: we are the Church of God, set apart from the rest of the world for His calling...but we're still in this world, and therefore, no better off than you or another.
Is what I believe.

Back