Pink eye stopping ministry

Glitch

A long story short...

My Church has been helping out with a newly started church about 60-70 miles away. A way in which my church helps out with the new church is by helping the new church with their VBS program.
I was one of the volunteers to help out with the VBS program. I worked the VBS for two days and then i realized that i had developed pink eye. I had to visit a doctor and get some anti-biotics, but the doctor recomended staying out of contact with people for a few days. So... i had to humbly request to my father that he would take a day off of work to come pick me up and drive me home.
My dad is pretty cool and he did... but this entire story is just to ask a few questions.

For starters i would request prayer for the VBS program (since i was the main leader for the second and third graders).
For seconders i would like request for a speedy recovery from this pink eye.
And finally, I have a question. For some small background info - I felt God leading me to go on this trip. well... i thought he did. Now that i got pink eye during the trip i begin to question myself as to if God really called me. Now i am beginning to doubt whether i asked God or not... so... (I'm not sure if this is a question... but) suggestions? thoughts? idk?

could be a few things.

1) God working on you, to see if you'll make it through a minor setback and continue on this ministry. Will you stay with it once your better? Will you come back next year for the VBS? He may be preparing you for some major blow that you'll take later.
2) Satan messing with you trying to interfere with God, wanting to know the same things as I listed in #1.
3) Plain old dumb bad luck.

Regardless of which of these it is - if you really felt God pushing you towards this ministry, stick with it. A few sick days here-and-there (and even pink eye) shouldn't be enough to push you away. Even when we're doing what's right, we'll face trials and tribulations.

My mission trip to Philadelphia had lots of setbacks...some minor, some fairly significant. But don't let them get you down. God will find a way to use these events for good. Learn from it and keep going on in Jesus' name!

Will pray for the VBS program.

Will pray for speedy recovery. I will say most pink eye is actually caused by a virus, in which case it will have to run its course. I don't know how long you've had it, but if it is viral, it'll probably get worse for 7-10 days before it starts to feel better. I don't know if you even have a virus though, so you can take this with a grain of salt if you want. :)

I know God can do anything He wants, but sometimes there are bugs that you randomly pick up. I don't think it necessarily means anything. Back to the virus theory--it is wicked contagious, and it's especially rampant around kiddos, so it's probably just random bad luck, like durruck suggested. It's a huge bummer, I know, but maybe you were demonstrating obedience by going in the first place, even though you didn't get to stay the whole time.

It isn't the virus kind. It is bacterial.

The virus kind lets off a clear thick discharge from the eye.
the bacterial kind lets off a thick yellow/green discharge... and... yeah, i have that one.

It is kinda funny. I was with my youth pastor (who took me to the hospital). I had so much discharge from my eye that they thought I had clymidia or gonoria in my eye. They asked me probably half a dozen times if i was sexually active... then, they asked my youth pastor to leave the room and asked me another half a dozen times.
My answers varied from "No", to "Not much difference since the last time you asked me", to "Do you want me to check again?", to(disclaimer - not for the easily offended )
"can you get it from looking?"
After he asked me 6-10 times i started getting sarcastic... probably shouldn't have done that. ^^

Hehe hmm, how weird. But yeah, a lot of discharge like that does often scream chlamydial conjunctivitis. The good news is, with bacterial stuff, there are good meds to fix it. Are you a contact lens wearer? (Sorry, you can disregard or PM me if you want, I know I'm getting off topic...but I get excited about eyeballs...go figure. ^^)

Edit: if the last sentence sounds weird, look at my profile...specifically at the occupation...it might make more sense. :)

Last edited:
no contacts or glasses... i have almost perfect vision.
and... yeah...

I have been using some antibiotics for the past day and a half, and they seem to be having some small affect. The pain in my eyes is gone. I don't have "as bad" blurry vision as i did when i first went to the doctors. They still itch sometimes... and the discharge has slowed down...
I still hate it when i wake up in the morning, though... I looked in the mirror and it looked like a had my eyes stitched shut because of the "goop" that was holding closed.

Just an update for the optometrist.

EDIT: And... Light does not bother my eyes... apparently that is significant for some reason (so my doctor says)...

Last edited:
Back