Picking a RDPS for the SoR trial

Keero

Tribe of Judah Membership Administrator
Here's my dilemma: I prefer RDPS classes in most MMOs (rolled a Bounty Hunter in SWTOR, Engineer in WAR), but I can't decide what RDPS I want in WoW. I already have a level 85 Shaman from when I played last spring, but I prefer Restoration over the Elemental tree. Elemental was good for PVE, but I always loved healing in dungeons/PVP. :p I tried out all the classes until 15 or so last time I played but that's not enough time to single out a proper choice. I would be focusing on end-game content like dungeons or using the LFR tool if I do subscribe for a month after the SoR trial. I'd heal with my Shaman (<3) and RDPS when I get frustrated with scrubs.

For my alternate toon, was considering either:
-Hunter with guns (kinda close to my WAR toon)
-Warlock (the health drain talents and utility of health/soulstones looked neat)
-Mage (I know almost nothing about these, though)

What are the main differences between these three classes and their trees or would what you guys suggest from your experience playing these?

If you want ranged DPS for dungeons, roll Hunter. Yes, I'm a little bias, but I've been saving myself against baddies for years with my hunter. You can always feign death when the noob tank or heals fail. Then you're alive and you can also MD to your noob tank who isn't doing anything. My personal favorite use is killing Shagz or McFierce...

Which happened often if I didn't have invis ready. Didn't take too many times for me to learn.

It depends on how you want to DPS.

Do you want to use a pet? Do you want to use direct damage bolts? Do you want to use dots? Do you want to see big numbers or do you want to see lots of little ones?

I have no experience with hunters. :(

A raiding arcane mage can be summed up as 11121112111211121112111211123... seriously. If you want variety while you DPS, this is not your class. However, if you want to see big numbers this will work for you.

I'd personally go with a Warlock. Affliction warlocks are great in PVP and with decent gear (which isn't that hard to get) are really tough to kill. I haven't raided with one in a while, but the raiding spell rotation has to be more challenging than the mage's faceroll technique. If you want variety and a little challenge when it comes to DPS, the warlock is your class.

Last edited:
After reading forums and wikis for two hours, I just bit the bullet and made a Worgen Warlock. :|

...Gotta say, the Destruction tree is sick. I'm getting both Health and Mana returns on all my casts and skill procs mean more damage with smaller cast times. Loving it a lot. ^__^ Now all I have to do is find out what the other 70% of my skills do, get my glyphs, and gear up.

Also, the perks from the Scroll of Resurrection are fantastic. Gold, mounts, gear set, and a pre-filled talent tree. So glad I don't have to grind through 80 levels of content. :D

I only got 75. :(

You get much more due to them buying you a mount and all but the last flight skill. This includes cold-weather flying.

I'm biased to fire mage (Odale is correct about the boringness of arcane mages). Awesome AOE and great single target dps. I also love my hunter. These are the only two classes ranged classes I have leveled to 85, my third and last 85 being a warrior. I can't seem to get the hang of warlocks.

Blizz makes me do this constantly.

images

Running dungeons for a bit. Hunters still get ahead of the tank. Le sigh.

Good choice with the lock... I'm partial to those :D

I think you should PVP too. It's so fun to anger the horde by not dying instantly lol.

All this warlock talk is making me want to play mine...

Back