Personal web host recommendations?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I've been hosting my personal web site with MediaLayer for a few years now. MediaLayer has provided great service, but the plan I'm currently using is $10 a month and only offers 500MB storage.

I don't want to spend any more than $10 a month on a personal web site (especially since all efforts to recover some of that cost through Amazon Affiliate and Google Adsense accounts has gone nowhere), so paying to increase my storage space is not something I want to do.

With a Gallery2 install and a baby (and many pictures of said baby) on the way, I'm looking for a new web hosting service with more storage, comparable service, and low costs ($10 a month or less).

Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: I'm currently using the AppLayer DX hosting plan. That should give you a rough idea of the web hosting features I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Go Daddy SUCKS!

I use 1and1, but only for my domain name, my friend uses it and loves it...says it is the best, and he hosts 2 companies from it...

EDIT: 1and1 Linux | Microsoft

EDIT 2: it seems to me that you get all the same features with 1and1, with more space and unlimited transfers for $4/month...

Last edited:
I have been using bluehost for 5+ years now. Never had a issue that didn't receive immediate response from staff via live chat or phone and resolved or at least a ETA given right away. I have nothing but love for them. Pretty impressed that a zerg host has been so reliable over the years.

They give you unlimited everything plus free domain name, and the cpanel is totally stocked. (I mean stocked!)

I have a referral code and I will give you all the $75 if you want to use it making your first year almost free! (just plan on not seeing that $75 referral bonus for a month or two)

Go daddy is horrible and so is 1and1. I have so many clients on them that have nothing but issues after issues. (That they pay me 125/hr to fix) :)

Last edited:
ive heard good thigns about dreamhost but for most of my latest stuff i use ccgr.net

So Bluehost, Dreamhost, and CCGR.NET come highly recommended.

Any others?

I've been hosting my personal web site with MediaLayer for a few years now. MediaLayer has provided great service, but the plan I'm currently using is $10 a month and only offers 500MB storage.

I don't want to spend any more than $10 a month on a personal web site (especially since all efforts to recover some of that cost through Amazon Affiliate and Google Adsense accounts has gone nowhere), so paying to increase my storage space is not something I want to do.

With a Gallery2 install and a baby (and many pictures of said baby) on the way, I'm looking for a new web hosting service with more storage, comparable service, and low costs ($10 a month or less).

Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: I'm currently using the AppLayer DX hosting plan. That should give you a rough idea of the web hosting features I'm looking for.

http://www.dreamhost.com/

I've had various different hosts and the problem I keep running into with shared hosting is CPU cycles. If I have a heavy load or am running a big script they will shut down the account.

If you want to go inexpensive and scalable, check out Amazon EC2. It's free (edit: for the first year and then $15/mo)

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

You can get your own root Linux host and for a personal website it usually meets all your needs. If you are not into root access and installing it yourself check out one of the hosts posted above. Most of these will give you easy installations scripts.

Last edited:
how funny it does look like a carbon copy. Except ipage was $3.50 now $4.50 and geeks was $6.95 now $4.95. Looks like geeks is going the right direction with prices...

What did you end up going with Tek?

Looking to move from hosting my own, to having a host...(once I get my tax refund LOL)...

What did you end up going with Tek?
I went with CCGR.NET.

I ran into some trouble getting Gallery2 (a notoriously fussy but great photo album organizer) to play nicely in its new home, but the site is working fine now. WordPress, as expected, was easier to work with than Gallery2.

Starter Package

Web Space: 1GB
Bandwidth: 50GB/month
Subdomains: 2
ftp access
shell access
5 POP e-mail addresses
PHP 5
MySQL 5
e-mail & phone technical support
Weekly backups
$2.49 a month ($29.88 a year!)

Good Price..hows it working out Tek?

Starter Package

Web Space: 1GB
Bandwidth: 50GB/month
Subdomains: 2
ftp access
shell access
5 POP e-mail addresses
PHP 5
MySQL 5
e-mail & phone technical support
Weekly backups
$2.49 a month ($29.88 a year!)

Good Price..hows it working out Tek?
I chose the $4.99/month package. The web hosting is working out well so far. I had a few problems with MX entries in the DNS record, but it looks like those are now resolved. (I use Google Apps for my family domain, which makes things a little more complicated than normal.)

Back