Persona 4 Arena will be region locked on PS3

Tek7@Work

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
The PlayStation 3 version of Persona 4 Arena carries with it an unusual distinction: The Arc System Works-developed fighter will be region locked, meaning that North and South American copies of the game won't function on Japanese PS3s, and vice-versa.
Source: Persona 4 Arena will be region locked on PS3

Region locking just sent this game from the "will very likely buy on a good sale" to "no deal." And it's a shame, too. P4A is the main reason I decided to skip BlazBlue entirely.

:(

I know Atlus has their reasons, but seeing how strongly anti-region locking I am, I don't want to reward bad behavior with good money I could spend on other games.

Weird. Really weird. I thought (perhaps wrongly) that PS3 games were typically playable universally. Odd that they'd go out of their way to do this, though I can't say that their supposed reason is utterly without merit from a publisher standpoint.

On the bright side, BlazBlue is still great. :p

On the bright side, BlazBlue is still great. :p
Watching KOFXIII and UMvC3 while waiting for SSFIVAE Finals during EVO yesterday only reinforced that SSFIV is the only fighting game where I'd consider investing the time and effort to improve.

I still like Tekken 6, SSF2HDR, and TvC, though.

And watching the KOFXIII finals was surprisingly cool, too. But watching and playing are two very different things.

It feels like all others popular fighting games suffer from the same, "Dude gets hit, other dude starts 862-hit combo, first dude goes backpacking across Nepal and returns from his long journey just as the combo is finishing" shenanigans that seem to plague modern fighters, at least at high-level play.

If I had friends coming over to my home to play fighting games regularly, I might be tempted to pick up a few other fighters, but online is all but useless for casuals like me.

EDIT: BlazBlue sure is purdy, though.

I find it funny that Capcom was all about making games more accessible to newcomers... and yet the games they've given us are too often combo fests (that require memorization of lengthy chains and the execution of 'em) that have little to do with the mind games of 3S and ST. Seems exactly backwards from how I'd make a game accessible to newcomers.

KOF is much more old school than most, with the mind games and high demands technicality. Some of them combos get stupidly long, too, but nowhere near as bad as MvC3.

Side note: For what it's worth, I played a first-to-ten BlazBlue set with a friend online (from clear across the country), and it was, hands down, the most thrilling fighting game experience I ever had. It's such a good game (and now that Extend is out... with no talk of future DLC characters or a next iteration last I heard... I don't feel like I'm gonna hafta keep putting more money into the game). I'll never understand why so many people trash on it, either.

Last edited:
So this is very late to be responding, but I picked this game up a couple weeks ago. It is incredibly fun and worth it despite the region-lock, quite frankly. Of course, I loved Persona 4: The Animation (haven't played the game), so I'm a bit biased.

I picked it up recently, too. It's pretty good stuff. I'd like to play more, but I just haven't had much opportunity lately.

Most of the reason I've been playing is people on my hall have been coming in to play video games from time to time, so I just pop in Persona 4 Arena and whoop their butts. Pretty entertaining if I do say so myself.

So far my favorite characters are definitely:
1. Yukiko
2. Elizabeth
3. Naoto

Elizabeth is S tier.

Well, in Persona 3, anyway. I don't know how she ranks in the fighting game.

Back