PC not turning on.

Caleb

Today, early on the pc was working fine and in the afternoon the pc for some reason
doe'snt work (My front usb panel is'nt showing any blue light like it should even though
my pc is turned off). I hope my new motherboard is'nt the problem and i hope it's my old
NeoHe 550 watt power supply.

Anyway i'm gonna get a new good power supply and hopefully my pc works.

My specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Rev 1.0
16 GB g-skill ram
Palit 560GTX 2 gig
1 tb seagate
Sony bluray rw drive
Neo-he 550 watt
Soundblaster audigy 2 value
Zalman 9900 cnps max

so unplug from the wall and hold down the power button to drain any reserve power. Then plug back in and turn on. Do you hear any fans start up at all?

I bought a xfx pro 1250w power supply and put it in and I heard a loud pop when I turned on the
power socket switch and I've seen no front usb light and I was'nt able to turn it on.

I've held down the pc power button a bit.

I'll see if I can try it out tomorrow because its nearly bedtime for me.

My PC quit the other week. It turned out to be the temperature safety feature on the MoBo. 125psi of compressed air and holding the reset button, on the MoBo, down for 20 seconds fixed it.

But.....

.......and I heard a loud pop .....

oh noes....

oh noes....

Oh noes, indeed. It might not be the power supply, it could be the mobo or the video card. I had a capacitor blow on my video card once, made a popping noise when it went. It looked like a little shotgun shell when opened up the computer.

I bought a xfx pro 1250w power supply and put it in and I heard a loud pop when I turned on the
power socket switch and I've seen no front usb light and I was'nt able to turn it on.

I've held down the pc power button a bit.

I'll see if I can try it out tomorrow because its nearly bedtime for me.

Since you heard a loud pop, I'd unhook everything, and take your motherboard out of the computer and inspect it for blown capacitors since you heard a loud pop (capacitors can explode).

I also don't find it too surprising that you heard something blow because this new power supply is more than twice as powerful as the one it replaces. At any rate, take the psu back and get your money back - obviously the old psu worked fine.

Found the picture of my old video card.

Click to embiggin. Anyhow, you can see the end of the two capacitors popped. Not quite a shotgun shell, but clearly visible.

bummer dude, it does look like your pc could have used a good cleaning.

Yeah, it was an old, franken-computer (made up of parts of dead computers). The mobo went out sometime after that and I had to break down and buy a brand new system.

I'll be taking my pc in a computer shop to be fixed. I guess only the motherboard is the problem
and it might be even my new power supply works properly even though I heard a loud pop, who knows.
One user on newegg with the same motherboard as mine has had his motherboard die after about a month.

Last edited:
My PC is in the computer shop now, got a phone call from them saying the XFX 1250w Black edition is the
one that popped. They ordered in the replacement XFX 1250w Black edition and the replacement won't
come in till next tuesday. They will test the replacement on my PC then. I hope none of my components
is damaged by the defective power supply.

I'm not a fan of this type of suspense.

Last edited:
My PC is in the computer shop now, got a phone call from them saying the XFX 1250w Black edition is the
one that popped. They ordered in the replacement XFX 1250w Black edition and the replacement won't
come in till next tuesday. They will test the replacement on my PC then. I hope none of my components
is damaged by the defective power supply.

I'm not a fan of this type of suspense.
I definitely understand what you mean...and I can definitely sympathize. I've had to wait for replacement parts without a spare computer and before I owned a smartphone. Not fun at all. :(

Got my PC back. :), it works without any hickups thank goodness. Looks like i had a faulty XFX 1250w Black edition that
was the problem.

Now I might think about whether to get a 670 GTX or 680 GTX.

690 GTX's are above $1000, costs too much.

Last edited:
I also notice an increase in performance with Borderlands 2 on highest detail without antialiasing with V-sync enabled in the Nvidia control panel as
a result of using a proper working XFX 1250w Black edition power supply and i'm using a Palit 560 GTX videocard. :)

I've decided to upgrade to a Gigabyte 660 GTX ti 2 gigs factory overclocked and it works faster on a lot of my games. It works well
on crysis 3 on high detail settings without mouselag, Farcry 3 I had to turn down the detail a bit to get rid of mouse lag.

Good pick on the card. :) I have an EVGA 660 Ti and I'm loving it so far.

Back