PC Games you can recommend....

TMG I did take a fresh look at 'Papers Please', but decided it just wasn't for me - just to clear any confusion up :) You have all so kindly recommended various games to me since I joined, and I can't remember who suggested what now. I might well take you up on the offer of help with FTL - but will give it another go first. I just plain forget what the tutorial says....

Patriot ( you are not the same Patriot as is on Worthy are you?), I think I got the 'shucks' from Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. As we get so many programs from America over here ( Big Bang Theory, NCIS are two that come to mind, but there are many more), American accents -meaning 'oh yes, this person comes from America' -are common enough in ads not to be noticed, but regional accents from the USA, unless they are trying to portray a product in such a way as to associate it with the activities, values or qualities of a particular type of person ( he-man lumberjack, cowboy, down-south lady), then I would say, no, not obviously - is that what you mean? We have dialects in UK as well of course, and I have noticed that the announcers on rado and TV, where once they all spoke the same somewhat strange and artificial form of the Queens English (we are going back some 60 years here), slowly there has been a relaxing of standards, and people with 'local' accents now give out the news for their area, and not always with the best articulation. That makes them more 'one of us' I guess, if a Geordie man speaks in his own dialect rather than the 'BBC-speak' of former years, but sometimes I notice the Southerners ( where I live) add an 'h' to the front of words that don't require an aspirate ( whereas London Cockneys always drop it from words that do), and there is a growing tendency to say 'fings' instead of 'things', 'nuffin' instead of 'nothing' and 'innit' instead of 'isn't it', which is fine for us plebs ( innit!), but ought not to be encouraged in them as are supposed to speak proper-like on the TV or radio.

I have SkyRim - looked forward to it no end, but did not find it as appealing as Oblivion when I finally managed to buy it. I am hard to please ( I guess) as I do not much care for following the dictat of the main plot - I like to be able to go where I want and do what I want, when I want, and in Oblivion I could do that (and Fallout3 and STALKER), but not sure that works so well in Skyrim - though I have got meself a cosy little hideaway there, and the graphics are great, so I might get back to it, one day..

Patriot ( you are not the same Patriot as is on Worthy are you?)
I assume that is a server or forum? Not me, I suppose. Fairly common handle that I don't really use anymore except where it is already registered and would be a pain to change.

I think I got the 'shucks' from Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. As we get so many programs from America over here ( Big Bang Theory, NCIS are two that come to mind, but there are many more), American accents -meaning 'oh yes, this person comes from America' -are common enough in ads not to be noticed, but regional accents from the USA, unless they are trying to portray a product in such a way as to associate it with the activities, values or qualities of a particular type of person ( he-man lumberjack, cowboy, down-south lady), then I would say, no, not obviously - is that what you mean? We have dialects in UK as well of course, and I have noticed that the announcers on rado and TV, where once they all spoke the same somewhat strange and artificial form of the Queens English (we are going back some 60 years here), slowly there has been a relaxing of standards, and people with 'local' accents now give out the news for their area, and not always with the best articulation. That makes them more 'one of us' I guess, if a Geordie man speaks in his own dialect rather than the 'BBC-speak' of former years, but sometimes I notice the Southerners ( where I live) add an 'h' to the front of words that don't require an aspirate ( whereas London Cockneys always drop it from words that do), and there is a growing tendency to say 'fings' instead of 'things', 'nuffin' instead of 'nothing' and 'innit' instead of 'isn't it', which is fine for us plebs ( innit!), but ought not to be encouraged in them as are supposed to speak proper-like on the TV or radio.
Thanks for the explanation. I could probably pick out a Cockney accent (you know, since I've seen My Fair Lady more than once :D) but I'm not too sure I've noticed other variations. Not that it's entirely unexpected seeing how there is such a disparity over here and there is nothing particularly unique about the US (as humans go).

I have SkyRim - looked forward to it no end, but did not find it as appealing as Oblivion when I finally managed to buy it. I am hard to please ( I guess) as I do not much care for following the dictat of the main plot - I like to be able to go where I want and do what I want, when I want, and in Oblivion I could do that (and Fallout3 and STALKER), but not sure that works so well in Skyrim - though I have got meself a cosy little hideaway there, and the graphics are great, so I might get back to it, one day..
It absolutely works in Skyrim, seeing how that is how I play most of the time. Just ignore the main quest. Dragons never get activated and you move on with your life. Or if you happen to enjoy killing flying lizards (I find them pesky annoyances a majority of the time - impressive yes, but annoying) you can get through the first couple missions on the main quest and ignore the rest.

I have Oblivion but really only played one play through. After Skyrim I feel terribly limited by the character designer and the general potato-like (not my description but I feel it fits very well) feel of every character I make. I wanted to try out Fallout recently, but I figured it would probably be best to wait for the next installment in the series.

I assume that is a server or forum? Not me, I suppose. Fairly common handle that I don't really use anymore except where it is already registered and would be a pain to change.

it is the handle of another person - also into gaming and computers.

It absolutely works in Skyrim

ah, right, I have played it up to where the dragon comes ( in the game proper) and you and a bunch of others have to slay it - got bored, would rather be picking flowers. That is the trouble with gaming - it is all pitched at testeronic (is that a real word?) young men who want to show off their prowess killing things! I want to build up, not tear down - go into a situation where people are poor and unhappy and without decent places to live or land to grow things on - and I want to make things right, and green, and happy ( cue soppy music)... they don't make enough games with detail like that..... anyway, I note what you say, that I can wander around and still find a meaningful game to play. Will give it a go when I go back in.

I have Oblivion but really only played one play through. After Skyrim I feel terribly limited by the character designer and the general potato-like (not my description but I feel it fits very well) feel of every character I make.

there are mods that improve the awful faces...

I wanted to try out Fallout recently, but I figured it would probably be best to wait for the next installment in the series.

there is going to be a new single-player Fallout? I didn't know that. After being scared to play it at first, I now breeze around with two little robot companions to support me and carry my loot, and nothing much scares me now. Really, after STALKER SoC or CoP the game feels quite tame. I even did the whole main plot in Fallout, but now I just wander around poking my nose in where I want...

I have Oblivion but really only played one play through. After Skyrim I feel terribly limited by the character designer and the general potato-like (not my description but I feel it fits very well) feel of every character I make.

there are mods that improve the awful faces...
I know, I have them installed. But there is no facial hair. I need my beard of POWAAHHH!!!!

The controls are clunky too. Skyrim retains a bit of the clunky-ness, but it is definitely more refined than Oblivion. Especially in terms of Archery, which is what I tend to gravitate towards.

I wanted to try out Fallout recently, but I figured it would probably be best to wait for the next installment in the series.

there is going to be a new single-player Fallout? I didn't know that. After being scared to play it at first, I now breeze around with two little robot companions to support me and carry my loot, and nothing much scares me now. Really, after STALKER SoC or CoP the game feels quite tame. I even did the whole main plot in Fallout, but now I just wander around poking my nose in where I want...
I believe Fallout is owned by Bethesda Softworks, the same studio that owns TES. I see speculation here and there about a next installment so I'm hopeful. Just as I'm hopeful that they continue with the single-player model of TES.

It absolutely works in Skyrim, seeing how that is how I play most of the time. Just ignore the main quest. Dragons never get activated and you move on with your life. Or if you happen to enjoy killing flying lizards (I find them pesky annoyances a majority of the time - impressive yes, but annoying) you can get through the first couple missions on the main quest and ignore the rest.

I have Oblivion but really only played one play through. After Skyrim I feel terribly limited by the character designer and the general potato-like (not my description but I feel it fits very well) feel of every character I make. I wanted to try out Fallout recently, but I figured it would probably be best to wait for the next installment in the series.

I installed a mod for Skyrim that triples the sizes of the dragons. They're incredibly buggy (their hitboxes aren't tripled and their bodies cover whole towns) but it makes the combat a little more exciting.
And I was the same way with Oblivion. I started with Morrowind, then played Skyrim, and then went back to Oblivion. I'm not a fan of its setting - IMO it's too generic fantasy. Skyrim had some of that, but with a Viking flavor and a more authentic Medieval feel (torture chambers and whatnot), and Morrowind - THAT was an interesting setting.

Back