Pantheism

Aradia2

"When theists worship gods, they unknowingly worship the cosmos. If they believe that God is also present in nature and the universe, they will perceive a part of the glory of Being, yet still they will attribute this glory to something beyond Being. Still they will fail to connect with nature and the universe in the deep intense way that pantheism makes possible.

But theists who believe that God is separate from the universe separate themselves from Reality. They turn their deepest attention away from the real divinity before their eyes, towards an imaginary divinity inside their head. It veils Reality like a thick mist. It turns believers into sleepwalkers."

-http://members.aol.com/heraklit1/basicpri.htm

Thank you DV, I really appreciate that post. This forum is really supposed to be for Christian discussion, hence the name Christian Gamers Alliance.

So Atheists can question Christian beliefs and Christians cannot question Atheistic beliefs? It appears the burden of proof is on the Christian when in fact it is ALWAYS on the skeptic.

I remember asking Eon about his beliefs so I could better understand him. What's so wrong with that? Why shouldn't those issues be discused in a religious forum?

I beleive we are narrowing the focus of this forum and don't agree with the direction things seem to be headed.

Just my .02 cents.

i say with all these people two cents we buy coffee
sad.gif

and Gen didnt you ask atheist on that new thread whats in it for you. just showing ya things
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It appears the burden of proof is on the Christian when in fact it is ALWAYS on the skeptic.

Why is this so?

If I claim to believe in an Invisible Pink Unicorn, would the burden fall on YOU to prove it isn't true?

If one claims to believe in Big Foot or the Loch Ness monster, the burden of proof isn't on skepdicts, it's on the believer.

Why is Christianity different?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Some claims are easier and simpler to support than others — but regardless, a claim without any support is not one which merits rational belief. Thus, anyone making a claim which they consider rational and which they expect others to accept must provide some support.

An even more basic principle to remember here is that some burden of proof always lies with the person who is making a claim, not the person who is hearing the claim and who may not initially believe it. In practice, then, this means that the initial burden of proof lies with the theist, not with the atheist. Both the atheist and the theist probably agree on a great many things, but it is the theist who asserts the further belief in the existence of a god.

This extra claim is what must be supported, and the requirement of rational, logical support for a claim is very important. The methodology of skepticism, critical thinking, and logical arguments is what allows us to separate sense from nonsense; when a person abandons that methodology, they abandon any pretense of trying to make sense or engage in a sensible discussion.

The principle that the claimant has the initial burden of proof is often violated, however, and it isn’t unusual to find someone saying, “Well, if you don’t believe me then prove me wrong,” as if the lack of such proof automatically confers credibility on the original assertion. Yet that simply isn’t true — indeed, it’s a fallacy commonly known as “Shifting the Burden of Proof.” If a person claims something, they are obligated to support it and no one is obligated to prove them wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So Atheists can question Christian beliefs and Christians cannot question Atheistic beliefs? It appears the burden of proof is on the Christian when in fact it is ALWAYS on the skeptic.

Ummm, actually no where in the original post is a Christian asked for his thoughts on this post.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and Gen didnt you ask atheist on that new thread whats in it for you. just showing ya things

I asked everyone. Not any specific group

and if we are buying coffee, I want a large decaf with cream and sugar please
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I beleive we are narrowing the focus of this forum and don't agree with the direction things seem to be headed.

Concern has been noted. If you want to discuss this with me further, please PM me.

Back