One Year Bible Study

Sorry for not posting the readings over the weekend but a couple of my friends came up this weekend so I was showing them around campus and eating and......eating.... >.>

March 26th Readings:

Deuteronomy 5:1-6:25
Luke 7:11-35
Psalm 68:19-35
Proverbs 11:29-31

March 31st Readings:

Deuteronomy 16:1-17:20
Luke 9:7-27
Psalm 72:1-20
Proverbs 12:8-9

April 1st Readings:

Deuteronomy 18:1-20:20
Luke 9:28-50
Psalm 73:1-28
Proverbs 12:10

April 2nd Readings:

Deuteronomy 21:1-22:30
Luke 9:51-10:12
Psalm 74:1-23
Proverbs 12:11

I loved the interaction between the Old and New Testament passages today. In Deuteronomy, Moses is telling Israel how important it is for them to follow God's laws. Their willingness to follow His laws, or their lack thereof, would determine whether or not they would be blessed in the Promised Land. Then, immediately following it, in Luke we read about Jesus excoriating the scribes and Pharisees for their mindless adherence to law, while ignoring the inward changes and character growth the law was really intended to bring about. The Bible is a really nice commentary on itself. =)

On top of that, we celebrated a traditional Seder dinner last night at church (Jewish Passover dinner). The symbolism that God built into that ceremony is really incredible. Throughout the meal, Jesus is proclaimed. Interesting to me is the fact that some of the steps in the ceremony are very clearly explained from Jewish history and tradition, and some of the steps, the Jews don't know why they do what they do. When viewed backwards in time, though, they are CLEAR symbols of Jesus, who's life would explain those symbols a thousand years after they were built into one of the most significant celebrations in Judaism.

Today's reading on the tail of last night's celebration just reinforced the point that much more that there is a reason for everything that God tells us to do, and His intent is to change us inwardly, not just outwardly.

If you've never participated in a Seder and get an opportunity to, don't pass it up!

April 8th Readings:

(HAPPY EASTER!! OUR LORD IS RISEN!!)

Deuteronomy 32:28-52
Luke 12:35-59
Psalm 78:56-64
Proverbs 12:24

Back