On Jesus & Gamers

Kaiousei

Hi guys! I haven't forgotten about you - I've just been busy! <3 You'll probably see me around more when I get my main to 85.

I could probably post this on the greater forums but I'm a little shy over there. But I'm reading this book called "Halos and Avatars: Playing Video Games with God" edited by Craig Detweiler for my thesis. I think you guys would enjoy it if you're looking for some academic reading.

Anyway, I read this part and I just thought you guys might appreciate it. This is from Matthew Kitchen's chapter called "Madden Rules: Sports and the Future of Competitive Video Games." His concluding paragraph goes like this:

Before we distance ourselves from such gatherings [such as massive LAN parties], we must remember Jesus had a bad reputation as "a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners" (Luke 7:34). When the Pharisees questioned his association with tax collectors in Luke 15, Jesus responded with the powerful story of the Prodigal Son. He demonstrated the father's proclivity for welcoming the outsider, making room for those who have wasted their time, talent, and money on frivilous things. When the prodigal came running back to the father, it was an occasion for celebration, an extravagant feast, yet the most faithful older brother disdained such excess. Jesus offended his contemporaries not necessarily via feasting, but from a questionable guest list. He made room for those deemed unclean or other. Gamers are often (unfairly) seen as those on the fringe of society. People who don't understand their passion assign them unfair labels of being nerdy, or fat, or living in their mothers' basements. While gamers are made to feel like they exist in the margins, Jesus seeks solidarity with those whom others see as lost, including New Testament characters like Zacchaeus, a prostitute, and the Samaritan woman at the well. Christ gave us a passion for a reason and if he were here now, he might grab a controller and throw down in a healthy game of Halo 3. He wouldn't even need cheat codes. God gave us sports, video games, and a competitive spirit because he loves us and wants us to challenge ourselves and be happy doing so every day. He gave his Son for much the same reason. When Jesus ultimately lost, we won. How's that for God's perfect ending to the game of life?

Last edited:
I think this hits the nail squarely on the head. The point here is that Jesus would go to the lost, wherever they were, whatever they were doing.

I know he has told me if this is his quote or where he got it from, but before John can put it up for himself I feel like putting this line in
It's not a question of whether or not Jesus would play video games... He would reach the lost no matter where He could find them. The real question is, how would He play video games??
This is exactly the mentality we need to have when we are playing. It's not about who can do the most DPS or who is the bigger noob, it's about being an example for Christ in all that we do.

I know he has told me if this is his quote or where he got it from, but before John can put it up for himself I feel like putting this line in

This is exactly the mentality we need to have when we are playing. It's not about who can do the most DPS or who is the bigger noob, it's about being an example for Christ in all that we do.

I sort of did this last night without even thinking about it I guess. :) A guy was asking in trade where to find wreckage to try and fish up the journal to learn the find fish skill so I posted in trade where to go. He sent me a whisper asking for specifics so I just sent him an invite and told him I'd rather show him then have him get lost and possibly frustrated. I took him to the first location where just the night before there were soooo many piles of wreckage to fish - not a single one to be found (beach on south end of Blasted Lands). I then led him to another coastline that I had seen another massive amount of wreckage the night before and, again, nothing (south coast including lost beach in Tanaris). Finally I took him to Coilfang Reserve and actually guided him around to the nodes of wreckage and he fished the journal up after about another 10 minutes. He was floored and told me that most people in the game wouldn't have done even part of how I helped him. I just told him to not worry about it and to enjoy the rest of his evening - he gave me a tip of 20g and said he wished he had more to give me.

I am only sharing this story to boast in Christ. If it was me (and I have been a selfish gamer in the past) you bet I wouldn't have done all that. Christ compels me to be his light and I sincerely hope that my path crosses with this other gamer some more so I can continue to plant seeds. Let's continue to encourage each other to love other gamers with Christ's love.

Great article excerpt and we do miss you in game!

[7F]EhUd;410555 said:
I sort of did this last night without even thinking about it I guess. :) A guy was asking in trade where to find wreckage to try and fish up the journal to learn the find fish skill so I posted in trade where to go. He sent me a whisper asking for specifics so I just sent him an invite and told him I'd rather show him then have him get lost and possibly frustrated. I took him to the first location where just the night before there were soooo many piles of wreckage to fish - not a single one to be found (beach on south end of Blasted Lands). I then led him to another coastline that I had seen another massive amount of wreckage the night before and, again, nothing (south coast including lost beach in Tanaris). Finally I took him to Coilfang Reserve and actually guided him around to the nodes of wreckage and he fished the journal up after about another 10 minutes. He was floored and told me that most people in the game wouldn't have done even part of how I helped him. I just told him to not worry about it and to enjoy the rest of his evening - he gave me a tip of 20g and said he wished he had more to give me.

I am only sharing this story to boast in Christ. If it was me (and I have been a selfish gamer in the past) you bet I wouldn't have done all that. Christ compels me to be his light and I sincerely hope that my path crosses with this other gamer some more so I can continue to plant seeds. Let's continue to encourage each other to love other gamers with Christ's love.

Great article excerpt and we do miss you in game!

Thank you for representing the guild in this way! It makes us stand out as christians and a positive example to a very ugly trade channel.

Back