Old Republic Preview

I can't imagine paying for multiple MMOs at the same time. If Final Fantasy XIV is as good as I hope, I likely will stop playing WoW. I just can't see it being worth it to dump 30+ bucks a month on video games.

Not sure when FF XIV arrives, but TOR's release date is supposed to be Spring 2011. Hopefully you will have plenty of time to try it out.

Oh, and if you aren't interested in it enough already, make sure you've checked out the cinematic trailers.

http://swtor.com/media/trailers/deceived-cinematic-trailer

http://swtor.com/media/trailers/hope-cinematic-trailer

I cant freakin wait for this game to come out!

http://www.youtube.com/v/HBGvAJ6-SsY&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Which video is that supposed to be sending us to, Asheriah? The link isn't working for me.

Last edited:
I might give it a shot if they have a free trial or something, but between WoW and CS:S, I get enough wife aggro as it is ;P

Because KoToR is one of the best rpgs ever for the pc imo, I am interested, but not at launch, I will see what the reaction is first.

Example - Star Trek Online - I <3 ST but STO was buggy, and had a lot of people frustrated at launch, if they improve it I may try it out

Ok i dont know how many times i am having to say this, it all who is making the game.
Pnuma you dont have to wait til after the launch to know that TOR is going to be rockin,, why, because Bioware is making it. They never make a bad game! who made STar TRek?
Ya i dont know either, some fly by night company, thats why that game sucks.

Bioware people Bioware. Thats all you need to know thats its going to be a great mmo.

Oh Grim, i checked that link, and it worked fine,, so not sure why you couldnt watch it.

Its one of the new preview trailers.

Ok i dont know how many times i am having to say this, it all who is making the game.
Pnuma you dont have to wait til after the launch to know that TOR is going to be rockin,, why, because Bioware is making it. They never make a bad game! who made STar TRek?

Bioware people Bioware. Thats all you need to know thats its going to be a great mmo.

My 1 month subscription to endless string of disposable mmos makes me highly cynical even if it is Bioware.

Plus I just melted your ice cream with my lightsaber :p

Ummm... Cryptic Studios made ST:O - That's not a fly by night.

I never buy games, music, magazines, books, toilet paper, ANYTHING based solely on the name. I don't care who is making it. I typically rent games first or check it out with a friend before buying it, especially if it's going to cost a monthly fee. Took my friends ages to convince me to get on WoW. They even had to take up a donation around the dorm and buy the actual discs for me to convince me.

P.S.: Squeenix>Valve>Bioware (OH! Fight starter!!!!)

Totally agree with Mordos. Cryptic makes solid if unspectacular MMOs ... City of Heroes/Villains and Champions Online are case in point before getting to STO. They always seem to be a step or two off-pace on polish and depth, but overall are better than average. But mostly they seem to inherit/develop messy projects. The STO story is complicated, with Perpetual doing the development into '08 then bailing then Cryptic picking it up and supposedly mostly restarting and somehow getting it out in early 2010. The Champions Online story is complicated with it starting out as Marvel Online and then not and so on. Even CoH/CoV is messy with the project being handed off to Paragon in 2009. Can you imagine that, Blizzard hading off WoW to Infinity Ward in mid 2009 so they could focus on SC2? <shudder>. Cryptic's main problem is their home office location in Los Gatos, we know what to think of peeps from there...

Bioware definitely makes awesome games, but doesn't have a track record in MMOs. Doesn't necessarily mean a thing because in 2004 you could say exactly the same thing about Blizzard. But while Bioware doesn't deliver the same bug-free polish that Blizzard does ... they also don't take 5 years to release a new game and the emotionaly depth of their games is pretty close to unparalled imo. The twist with Bioware is that it's not pure Bioware as of mid last year, it's Bioware Mythic under the EA umbrella. If ToR can take the heritage of DAoC and Mythic's lessons learned from Warhammer, combine them with their own unique competencies, and resist EA pressure to release a buggy product before it's ready, there's totally reason to be optimistic. But it also could lead to a mishmash .. and Mark Jacobs left so who knows what that means. It feels like Bioware (Edmonton, Canada) and Mythic (Fairfax, VA) are being managed as separate business units within the Bioware Mythic umbrella and thus that the Bioware heritage side is running the show for ToR ... but if the buy building the economic system for ToR is the same dude (or dudette) who did it for Warhammer, then that doesn't bode well.

What I want to know is what Blizzard's secret next-gen MMO is all about. Jeff Kaplan/Tigole left wow in February 2009, a year and a half ago, and there has not been a peep regarding that new project. WoW supposedly took 4-5 years to develop and was announced 3 years prior to launch (Sep '01 vs. Nov '04) so assuming the same rough timeline, it's about time for an announcement! Maybe at Blizzcon? There is a very tall gate and a security post around the Blizz HQ and all, but they've been doing a ton of press tours lately and they have tons of employees there and Obsidian is right down the street, so the fact that zero leaks have seeped through to 1up or Giant Bomb or Kotaku or something is amazing to me. I sure hope it's not Starcraft:Ghost part 2 in terms of vaporware...

I don't care who is making it.

I'll admit to the opposite, the developer, imo, says a lot about what to expect from the quality of the game. I've been burned too many times from games that "looked" cool but ultimately had some rough edge I coudln't get past relatively early in the game. Bioware, Blizzard, Nintendo/Miyamoto and Valve are four that haven't let me down.

Having said that, my tunnelvision bums me out. Some of my favorite games of all time have been Blast Corps (Rare, pre-GoldenEye)), Beyond Good and Evil (Ubisoft Montpelier), and Syberia (Microids) ... developers I'd never heard of before and/or haven't heard from since. But so many one-offs are epic fails, it makes it harder to want to take a chance again.

Sheesh - I enjoy Wow and one day may move on to something else. Part of my problem is I don't wanna lose those with whom I game online. One of the main things for me is that it helps me to get out even though I cannot get out and run around as I would like to do. I guess you could say I allow pain to run too much of my life, but I am trying to learn to live with it. Yes, I have not been getting as much online time as I use to, but I still get on - a lot! I treasure the friendships that have been kindled through this virtual world and wish I could expand upon them. Hopefully, I can get together with Auggy & Trinity sometime since we are almost neighbors at 90 miles away! That is what this game means to me.

Besides, I do not want to pay more than $15 a month for online games. Money is tight, and when that is going on, RL takes president for where my buckaroos go. Wife agro is not the problem as long as I watch the cash flow. She understands how this game does help me cope with some pretty rough pain.

Bottom line, one is enough for me. There is so much more for me to do here where I live! The fish and game, the garden, and projects I enjoy getting into! I hate the gym - I'd rather exercise by working! Yes, one is enough. I do not think I will make a profession of gaming online! LOL!

wait is that grim? as in my big fuzzy friend?

These days I'm rarely big and fuzzy, but it is indeed me.

pianoforte said:
I never buy games, music, magazines, books, toilet paper, ANYTHING based solely on the name. I don't care who is making it. I typically rent games first or check it out with a friend before buying it, especially if it's going to cost a monthly fee. Took my friends ages to convince me to get on WoW. They even had to take up a donation around the dorm and buy the actual discs for me to convince me.

I am generally similar in that area, but I am making an exception in this case. I so hated the idea of paying $15 a month on a game that I refused to try WoW for years. The only thing that eventually changed my mind was that a friend of mine (known as xpunginator, kosatl, maher, and others) allowed me to make a character on his account. I played that character on his account for a few days and was finally convinced to buy the game myself.

As I said, though, I am making an exception in the case of TOR. If I recall correctly, I posted a more indepth explanation of my reasons in the previous TOR topic on these forums, but I can restate my reasons if necessary. Suffice to say that I have seen enough evidence that I will like TOR to be willing to buy it at release.

Back