Old dos games

Plankeye - no, I do not remember old shareware. I was a bad "pirate" and ran an illegal BBS with my buddies in Junior High School! We sold games for like $2/disk, and we had to ask whether it was DD or HD! I didn't have a hard drive either. I begged and begged my mom to buy me one, but a 20 or 40 MB (yes, that's right, megabyte) cost around $300. I just ran DOS right off the floppy!

SSquared - Where do you live? I ask because I collect old Sierra games and that one is hard to find...maybe we can make some "arrangement"...

biggrin.gif

Hmmm! Sounds cool.
I only have an old MSDOS system that could take a hard drive and a floppy drive, and of course, my precious today computer, complete with CD and Floppy drives, and a burning drive, and a hard drive.
So I have two systems, and I only use the old one to play older games that aren't out on CD, like Ultima Underworld

Plankeye - Although Pong and Atari were already available, the first computery games I played were on a Wang monochrome with tape drive. There were actually no computer games, but my brother realized you could make the letters move on the screen giving the sense they were moving. He and his friends wrote a few games, like a subhunt (popular handheld game at the time) type of game. Loading off a tape was horrible. It was super slow as you can imagine.

I was more in the Commodore 64 and Mac world during the early DOS days. Although I programmed on an 8086 in college, I would say I never really had PC experience until Windows 3.1 had come out.

Elite: I live in the Northwest. That Codename game is from Sierra? I was at Goodwill about 3 weeks ago, so I don't know if it's still there. But I will now keep my eye out for old Sierra games. The only one I'm looking for is the Space Quest series. I'm not sure when I'd get time to play it, but it looks like it might be sorta funny. I'm sure I can probably get it on Ebay, but I'm not in any rush.

Not sure if anybody mentioned this game before, but I was obsessed with Indinana Jones and the Last Crusade a few years back. I even wrote a walkthrough for it
biggrin.gif
. You can probably dl it somewhere for free, it's been released as far as I know.

Also, there's a game studio that lets you make old sierra/lucas arts type adventures. Very powerful. Visit www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk if interested.

Believe it or not, some of us 17 year olds did get started very early. I remember playing rpg called "Castle". You could move around as a little smiley face (not this :), the straight up and down ASCII one), and you had to type things in to the game to tell the little man what to do, besides move of course. This was somewhere in the year of 1990-91 maybe? Good stuff.

Cool MaxX!!! I've heard of it. 'Sposed to be good. I'm on a longterm quest to buy LucasArts stuff (I have 15 or so by now). I would like to get the old DOS Indiana Jones series as I've heard they were very good.

Yes, the Space Quest series. Really funny - my personal favorite was Space Quest III. They had the main character (his name is Roger Wilco - just like the voice comm software) visit this planet where this huge software company resided. The company was called "Scumsoft". Supposedly a ripoff from Microsoft.

You can actually download the Space Quest series - search on Abandonware sites. You will find a lot of old games you might be able to download. I do believe both Sierra and LucasArts have some copyright protection on them even they are old "abandoned" games that they don't make or sell anymore.

SSquared - Yes, Codename: Iceman is from Sierra. The guy who created the Police Quest series created this game as well. If you happen to go back to Goodwill and see it there, I wouldn't mind cutting a little deal with you!

Elite, I went back today and they didn't have the game anymore. Sorry. A lot of what they had were old Mac games.

Back