Okay To Play New Zelda?

DBakathaiLList

Hello CG Alliance,

I am new to this forum as well as new to standing firm in my walk in faith with Christ.

In the past, one of my favorite hobbies was to play video games. One of my favorite game series in particular is the The Legend of Zelda series. I love it for its puzzles, mental challenge, exploration, collectibles, and characters. Now that I'm starting my walk in faith, I'm more conscious about what I play and let in my home.

I know from past experience with Zelda games that it does have things in the games that deal with magic usage and wizardry as well as fake "goddesses". Although I don't believe in that stuff and know what is reality and what is fictional, is it okay to play something like that?

If anybody can shed light on this situation, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Umm, I'm actually supposed to have written some sort of sticky on this... but I haven't yet (Gomenesai Tek7.)

Let me give you the Cole's notes version of the sticky.

1.) If there is someone else in your life that is in a position of authority or who is important to you that doesn't want you playing these games (parents, spouse,) don't play them -- those people are more important than your personal entertainment, and your Christian walk won't benefit from you making the wrong decision here.

2) 1 Cor 10 -- If your conscience bothers you, don't play the game. Now, when Paul says conscience here, he doesn't mean the Holy Spirit, he means your own perceptions of right and wrong. In other words, if you are creeped out by the magic in the game because you've been trained to be creeped out by it, do not play it. It is not a good idea to train yourself to do things that you think are wrong.

On the flip side, if you're not creeped out by the magic in the game at all, then you can play it -- assuming my next points don't apply to you.

3) If the Holy Spirit tells you not to do it, by all means do not play the game.

4) If playing the game is getting in the way of your Christian walk, don't play the game.

What important is to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. If you are doing that and surrounding yourself with things that help turn your affections to Christ, then all the other things will fall into place.

There is no law in the Bible about video games. Love God and do what you want, if you are in a relation with the Spirit, He will most definitely let you know what is OK for you to do.

I concur with what Neirai has stated. I, for one, play and quite enjoy playing the Legend of Zelda series. As none of the qualifiers he mentioned apply to my situation I do so with a clear conscience. I am also willing to let go of the game if the Spirit leads me to at some point for some reason or another. Unhealthy entitlement feelings are often a big sign that you need to let something go to the grace of God (whether it's a video game or something else).

Back