ok im thinking of building a new

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
i went to local computer website and found stuff in my price range but i dont know all i need.

i found/have the following. (stuff that isnt in english i dont know what it is and needs identification) :
MB, Ga-7 zxe kt133a 266 fsb
cpu, amd k7 anthlon500
Dimm, DDr333 256m Pc 2700
Vid, AGP GEforce4 mx440 64m DU.

i have a case and hard drives and software. do i need anything else and will this run dsloa or other games for a CCGR full game server?

the KT133 uses SDRAM if I'm not mistaken. 333 is DDR and won't work. Make sure the motherboard can support a 500mhz cpu. This information can all be found on the manufatcurers website. You will need a CD-ROM 9temporarily to load the OS) Network card for server, unless it's build into the motherboard.

i have the software and n extra cd rom so no wrrys there. ok i'll check to find the sdram. good point on the MB i think it will hold the athlon 500 but i'll double check. will win98 work??

ok i asked the people and heres their response
Adam,
From my recollections, the only Athlon 500s to exist are the Slot A Athlons. The GA-7ZXE is for Socket A Athlons. The GA-7ZXE should take any Socket A Athlon up to around the Athlon XP 2400+, but I know of no way to make it take a Slot A processor.

-Frank

and in 2nd e-mail
Adam,
Sorry I didn't address the question of the MB you need in the first email. The problem is that they quit making MBs that would take Slot A processors several years ago. The only place you are likely to find one now is on some place like e-Bay. If you go looking, keep in mind that a Socket A Duron 1.6GHz sells for $49 and will massively outperform the Athlon 500MHz. The Duron is a downgraded Athlon that fits the same motherboards. The performance hit for it being a Duron is only about 10%.

-Frank

umm could someone translate this into english??

the slower AMDs used to look like super nintendo cartridges and basically it's not worth the hassle of finding old motherboards/processors when you can get new technology for cheaper

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Jan. 07 2004,8:51)]the slower AMDs used to look like super nintendo cartridges and basically it's not worth the hassle of finding old motherboards/processors when you can get new technology for cheaper
Aye, thats very true.

If u need help on choosing things, i could give some tips and help u out. I built my own by meh self.
smile.gif
'tis real fun.

uuh plz go to turbonet cuz its a local computer store cuz my parents donttrust giving their CC's out on the web.

Atown, those prices are high. is this computer going to be used for a CCGR server? if so, let me know I'll build you one at cost.

nah its ok i wanna do it. plus it would be a good learning experience since i odnt know too much on building computers. and the prices being high i know but hey it gives me a chance to find some yard work or somethin though thats gonna be the hard part (darn working age laws). another thing is it might have to wait till the rotary auction in july (BIG JUNK SWAB, fills entire middle school).

U may want to forget about the motherboards there in cactus (turbonet). Those are some horrible ones at such high price -_-. Asus all the way. Abit has a great chipsets too. Gigabyte isn't that well.

Where d'u find the CPUS? -_- i went to chips and memories.. tis all memories and no chips such as CPUs or things like that.. they gotta re-do their website lol.

update: wow i refresh the site and the whole thign changes. it does this all the time.

yeah its a local store with purchase online. they change often. well then check out staples and give me the pricing and stuff. im srry im having u guys look this stuff up
sad.gif
. i just honestly dont know what half this stuff is though if i could look at it i could put it into a computer case and make it work

k i'll giv staples a try..

Staples, i could only find an ok memory. Blah, zipzoomfly is my best choice and best suggestion.. any other stores? Is there a Fry's electronics around? i could help u guys out.

YES I FORGOT ABOUT FRYS!!!!!!! we have one in renton or somewhere around there. i can make a special trip there on the next trip to pullman. man i totally forgot bout frys. though im still to stupid to know what to look for, mind checkin that stuff for me?

d'oh forgot i'll update it soon hang on!
update1: i think since its for a server computer, it won't need a super good videocard. i'll try to find a cheap one around. Something like Radeon 7500 or even a Rage 3d is used in servers. we'll see.

Back