October 25th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Simple Grace

Help carry one another's burdens, and in this way you will obey the law of Christ.

-Galatians 6:2 (TEV)

I had known for months that my 20-year-old son was moving to Germany for a year. But even though I put up a brave front, I was depressed and in deep turmoil in the final week before his departure. I tried to pray, but my fears kept taking over; coping with his leaving was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

Several hours after my son left, a friend whose children are all married called and asked, "Are you miserable?" I was so surprised by her question that I laughed out loud. She took me to lunch and kept me laughing throughout the meal. Her love and understanding pulled me through that first and most difficult day.

We can express God's love through the simple grace of a phone call to a friend in need. Through Christian friends, God calls to us and summons us away from our worries. We can then return God's love by reaching out with kindness and humor to others who are encountering difficult life passages.

Roz Phillips (California, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Gracious God, thank you for bringing into our lives friends who brighten our dark moments. Guide us to transform our own struggles into compassion for others. Amen.

Back