Note about LoE, GW2 Beta, and everything else

Stc95

Tribe of Judah Guild Wars Chapter Leader
I have been reading and hearing everyone's complaints about the guild, beta, voice chat, etc. throughout the weekend and wanted to address some of the issues that have come up with. Before I begin please let me note some important information about me personally.

Currently, I have no computer. I was able to play the beta this weekend soley because of the grace of a buddy of mine at school. I am currently typing this thread on one of the computers in the library (which obviously don't play GW2). My new laptop is in the mail and hopefully it will arrive by the end of the week.
I am studing for Finals. I have Finals next week along with a couple papers due this week. Since I have no computer, it makes studing and paper writing all the more tedious. I also don't "do" stress, which factors into, Finals + Papers - Computer = Stress!

Now, regarding the beta. It is clear to me that many individuals have never played a beta before, much less an MMO beta. While I do not consider myself a beta expert, please understand several things:

This is a beta!
Things are supposed to go wrong.
This is a beta!
Everything we do in the beta will be deleted.
This is a beta!
Not everything is finished with the game development
This is a beta!

Now onto LoE. There has been some confusion with official guild information. I will post what has been decided here and also in a stickied thread for future information - I appologized this has not yet been done, I have been meaning to do it. As of right now:

We are tentatively located on the Eternal Grove server. Blazeridge Mountains is a secondary back-up option/spill over. Note that guild chat spans across ALL servers.
Our official voice-chat program looks like it will be Mumble according to poll. I also voice my backing for Mumble as our official VOIP client.
I am the guild leader of Legacy of Elijah. I was not able to play the first day of Beta and someone else created the in-game guild for us. It is a beta, all will be wiped for launch.

There is no denying that there will be new Guild Wars 2 players and players that come from Guild Wars 1. This is to be expected in ANY guild. By no means is Legacy of Elijah a secluded click of core GW1 players. I personally am looking forward to seeing new players interact and discover Tyria for the first time. However, new players cannot expect us to ignore our previous relationships that were formed in GW1 or our emotional connection to the land of Tyria. When I first traveled to Lion's Arch in the beta, I was filled with pride at what LA has developed into. Because I remember fighting demons, and Mursaat, and waves on waves of enemies to protect it. This is why I want to play GW2 with players that have never experienced GW because I can watch and see what a "new generation" appreciates of "my" handiwork in GW1. So by no means do I want to see a division split between GW1 and GW2 players. Also, I do not want a guild with just my GW1 friends. I love meeting new people and developing relationships and walking through life with others. With a new game like GW2, we have a shot of creating something special with LoE. I do not want to see that opportunity God has given us to be shot down because of infighting. Know that everyone is on a clean slate, there will be no preference to new players, or to old players.

Hopefully I have covered most of the complaits I discovered over the weekend. By launch, this guild will be polished and ready to role as we finally know how guild mechanics work in-game as well as what to expect for release. If I have missed anything or was not clear, I will be happy to address them here or in a private message. We're going to make this work guys, I've waited over a quarter of my life for GW2 and this guild. Please have grace and understanding that we are still in Beta testing for both GW2 and Legacy of Elijah. Thank you.

-Stc95
-Anthony P.

Agreed with all but one part. LA isn't the same anymore. It kind of made me sad. From what I heard, this LA was created by outlaws, thieves, bandits, and such. Correct me if I am wrong, though. Either way, insignificant. I just felt like throwing it out there.

Agreed with all but one part. LA isn't the same anymore. It kind of made me sad. From what I heard, this LA was created by outlaws, thieves, bandits, and such. Correct me if I am wrong, though. Either way, insignificant. I just felt like throwing it out there.

Eh.. tomato tomato... that expression doesn't work on forums does it?

Anyway, the point of the matter is: that city is there because I (we) helped it be there :p

Thank you STC for your clear assessment and statement of the situation.

I think things went just great with the beta! And I think things are clicking along just great with the guild thanks to the efforts that Stc and others have been putting in.

I don't think it should fall to you, Stc, or anybody else to spend a big portion of the limited time we have in the BWE trying to fine tune guild settings that are going to evaporate at midnight... Not when you could be running around being Norn and Charr or whatnot.

I know the split servers were a pain... but that will be a really easy problem to fix once the game is live and stable. Populations will settle down in the first couple of weeks, and we can slide into an easy-fit spot. It's nothing we should spend brainpower worrying about before then. (Maybe until then we need to think in terms of first, second, third, and fourth choices!)

It was a great weekend... but not the only weekend. We've got plenty of time to overcome speed bumps and make this a great place to play Guild Wars.

I do agree that this was beta, the only reason I got separated was not due to anything guild related. I see the question about Mumble vs TS3 but I do agree this is not an immediate concern, although would be nice to have it figured out soon for the guild to Gel, I do think this was not even a big deal this weekend, the severs caped way too soon.

I want to be on the same server as my guild and friends so I can do WvWvW and other stuff with them all the time.

I know the split servers were a pain... but that will be a really easy problem to fix once the game is live and stable. Populations will settle down in the first couple of weeks, and we can slide into an easy-fit spot. It's nothing we should spend brainpower worrying about before then. (Maybe until then we need to think in terms of first, second, third, and fourth choices!)

I agree with this, however, as far as I can tell, it's unclear how the the guild system works while transferring servers. Perhaps that's something that will have more revealed in the next couple months.

I do think our first priority when going live should be having everyone play together, not our place in WvW or how fast thing get built. All of that will catch up as more people play; it does in every MMO. People should always be more important than game mechanics.

People should always be more important than game mechanics.

I concur, and would add that is even more important because we are a Christian guild, and brothers and sisters in Christ. Y'all are gonna get tired of that phrase, but it is a central theme to keep in mind. Almost as important as the gospel message. Y'all may now quote the Apostle's Creed, or if you prefer sing Rich Mullins song, Creed.

Thanks for all your work during this stressful time Stc and everyone else. We were too busy running around looking at everything to have any guild complaints ;-)

Kel

Well if you guys complained I would have to personally get over there and set you four straight :p

You have been invited many times boy and I have yet to see you or feed you. Sigh....sniff

Kel

How much fuss do I have to make to get a visit, I wonder? I don't like being the squeaky wheel but it might be worth it now. ;-)

Kel

Maybe i'll leave early for oxford and stop by for a weekend.

Back