Nostalgic Reminiscences of Games Long Past

Niniel

What are some games you remember fondly, but are unable to play due to not having the game and/or the system anymore?

For me, it's Zoo Tycoon Complete Collection for PC and SimCity 2000 for GBA.

Lots and lots of hours during my early teen years building lots and lots of zoos with various continent/biome themes.... And then releasing all the animals and giggling madly while they chased down and ate all the guests. I had a strange bloodlust then. :p :p

Similar for SimCity, though with alien invasions instead zoo animals running amok. xD O if the 3DS were capable of playing GBA cards!

I still have Zoo Tycoon.... And just thinking about playing it in the past makes me want to try to install it again. Though I'm not sure about it working on Vista. A web search seems to show other people have had mixed results.... There's a difference between ZTCC and Zoo Tycoon 2 Complete Collection, but the two seem to be used indiscriminately/vaguely. -_-

FFVI & FFVII, Super Metroid, Demon's Crest, Magic Sword, Ogre Battle, Shining Force 1 & 2, Ninja Gaiden (the original), Zelda: A Link to the Past, X-Men (Arcade), The Immortal, Secret of Mana, Original Resident Evil, Ghosts n' Goblins, Warsong, Doom, Quake, Hexen, Heretic, Phantasy Star series, ....I guess some of these you can still pick up, but many you can't.

Showing my age...most of my nostalgic reminiscences date back to the Commodore 64/128. And I don't even know where to begin looking for another 1541 disk drive :)

Games like Jumpman, Wizard (a Jumpman derivative), Spare Change, and Montezuma's Revenge are practically impossible to find PC ports for.

Games like Heart of Africa, Seven Cities of Gold, Telengard, Questron II, and M.U.L.E. are readily available as PC ports on several abandonware sites. I do still have the C64 floppies for these games, so technically, I'm still licensed to use them, so I don't feel so bad about running an emulation.

In the PC era, I remember playing Age of Wonders, Masters of Magic, Civilization (the original), Colonization, and Zeus & Poseidon - I still have most of these games, but haven't loaded them up in a long time.

If you're looking for older PC games, I recommend checking out GOG.com. They sell some of the "Good Ol' Games", which have been updated to run on newer versions of Windows, and the prices are pretty reasonable.

V for Victory (All the different versions)
Golden Axe and GA II (Sega Genesis)
Chickamauga (Apple II)
San Francisco Rush (Sega Saturn)

I still miss "Circus" for the Atari, and I still play "Bubble Bobble" on my old school NES(the one that came with the grey pistol).

Galaga in the arcades
Pinball prior to that, the real live thing.
later on Commodore 128D Mule and Dolphin speller. Yup it was a kids game, which I wasn't but we still loved it and we wish it hadn't only been on a Commodore cartridge, remember those?

PCjr:
  • Firepower - Playing split-screen with my brother. Great times!
  • Silent Service - I had a love/hate relationship with this game. It was so hard, but when a torpedo actually contacted it was awesome.
  • Populus - Had it down to a science when I could push the Armageddon button.
  • Zork III - Somehow we missed the first 2. It didn't really matter, I don't think we ever made it past the blue dragon which is about 6 rooms in.

MacPlus & Apple LCIII
  • Prince of Persia - Played for hours. Many bodies cut in half. One of the first things we did when we upgraded to the LCIII was install this game and view it in color.
  • RoboSport - Turn-based awesomeness

Powermac 7300
  • Marathon (1-3) - Probably my most fondly remembered game series. Although they are free and available now, it's best to let them live on in memory. I still think of these games when I play songs from "Into the Son" by Dakota Motor Company due to playing it nonstop while trekking around solving puzzles and blowing away aliens.
  • Hellcats Over the Pacific - Many a Zero was shot down by me in my low poly Hellcat
  • Star Wars: Tie Fighter - I still remember the utter awesomeness when Vader's voice came over the intercom and I realized we were fighting together against those cowardly rebels.

NES
  • ExciteBike
  • Bomberman
  • Rad Racer
  • Super Mario Brothers - doesn't really count as I can go play All Stars at my parents, but there is a lot of memories associated with that game.

Shining Force. Final Fantasy 2, 3, 4, and 7.

Mario, Commander Keen. Street Fighter II, King Arthur, and Willow.

Brain Lord.

I have to echo the awesomeness of Montezuma's Revenge as well as Brain Lord.

....also how could I forget Landstalker?! Eke Eke!

X-Men: The Arcade Game. The 6-player one.

Good times.

Most everything else I remember I can play on Virtual Console or hardware I own.

Back