New Personal Undertaking

Thanks for the tip, tj. Thanks for the explanation on P90X/Insanity/etc., Ryan.

I just did my weekly weigh-in, and I'm down roughly three pounds (went from 239 to 235.5). It'll take more than a single week/weigh-in to figure out my overall fitness curve, but I'm pleased that even within a week I've seen a little progress (more notable than the weight loss, since that can fluctuate, is the increased energy, endurance, and muscle firmness).

Progress, I am making it.

...more notable than the weight loss, since that can fluctuate, is the increased energy, endurance, and muscle firmness...

This is what I love about excercise...before starting we make hundreds of excuses, but as soon as we start it's like, "man, that feels good, I love this!"

Hurdle #1 is always starting, hurdle #2 is sticking with it when life gets in the way. We'll be here to encourage you if/when that happens. :)

p90x

Hi :)
It's been ages since I've been to these forums. I've checked back to see if there is any hype for SC2 and found this post.

I think it's a wonderful goal you've set for yourself. I happen to be in the same process. Since February I've lost 35 pounds, which is about half way to my goal. Started out with eating healthier choices and doing an aerobics class in the morning which soon didn't provide the same results as it had when I first started. So my husband and I started p90x. Since I see that you are considering it, I thought I would give you my take.

It's a great program. We are doing the lean program and we just started our 7th week. Although we haven't seen a lot of weight loss, both of us are seeing and feeling a big difference in our muscles. It's definately toning. At the beginning of our 5th week, I noticed I felt really lethargic and could not do as much of the workout as I had previously been able to. My husband was feeling the same, but to a lesser degree. Although I've always thought protein shakes/suppliments etc we're a money grab, I've now come to think otherwise. We decided that we weren't getting enough protein and picked up a protein drink mix (just one from a store nearby). It's made a big difference, and honestly, cost wise it's good compared to "healthy eating choices" as you get a larger amount of protein with not many carbs/sugars/fat. We aren't doing the nutrition plan that comes with p90x..again comes back to a cost thing...but the exercise program is working for us. I love the Kenpo workout..it's like kick boxing style...so fun! It's my favorite.

Btw..in total we spent about $400 on this program with it's equipment. That includes 2 sets of dumbells with 1 set of weights which makes it easier for changing according to the exercise, a heart rate monitor which I would say was optional but really nice to have, a yoga mat and bands which can replace weights and/or chinup bar which we already had.

One other thing...apparently, you burn more calories if you have your heart rate at a certain percentage of your max heart heart. I believe it's like 60%. Now I don't understand this completely myself, why you burn more calories if your heart rate is lower, but maybe someone else will. Just thought I would mention it, since you have posted that you often feeling like throwing up afterwards.

Whatever you do program wise, as long as you stick with it, work hard and change it up if you start to not see results, I believe you will be successful. Working out for me has become kind of addicting. It feels good after :)

Keep it up! You should be proud of your efforts.

Lindsay

Thanks for posting that Lindsay, awesome to hear from a fellow P90er and it's really cool to hear you are doing this together with the hubby. I was fortunate enough to have my wife working out at the same time as me, so we kept each other motivated.

Sounds to me like you guys were just running out of available energy around week 5, most likely to being able to do a lot more than in prior weeks. :) Glad to hear you were able to take care of that with some supplements! I took Smash Fully Loaded (great product despite the "XTREME" marketing) and Elite Whey protein. That stuff was like a desert, and something like $.40 a day which is cheaper than a snack from the store.

Not sure about why lower heart rate is better, but I'd imagine it would have to do with being able to go for longer (hear 30 mins is the minimum number to hit) and not triggering our bodies natural defense mechanisms.

+1 to the whey protein love. I'm using a whey protein powder that Costco sells, and I think it's making a difference. I've been making protein smoothies with it after runs or workout sessions. I've even been working on making my own protein bar recipes.

Which is a great point to transition into a new report: In addition to my progress blog, I'm starting a new website that should be helpful to many people. It seems that there are few much-inclusive resources that deal with nutrition, dieting, and recipes/meal plans that are designed from the ground up with training fighters in mind. Since I like to find needs and fill them, I'm working on creating such a resource. I bought FightersCookbook.com last weekend and am putting together website fundamentals, goals, and a business plan of sorts right now. I should have something publicly visible in about a week. I'm super excited about it... it's yet another excuse for me to spend time in the kitchen.

Back to the topic at hand, thanks for the input Lindsay. I remember being told about the 60-80% target heart rate thing in some fitness classes I took. I can't remember why exactly 60% was said to be optimal for fat burn, but Ryan's idea makes sense. Whatever the case, I will keep that in mind. When exercising, I do a quick heartrate check by simply feeling my pulse and saying "does this seem elevated?" If it does, I consider myself to still be in my window. It's not terribly scientific, though. I do mean to get a heartrate monitor at some point in the near future.

As for my personal progress, my Wednesday weigh-in showed that I was down to just under 230 from my starting 239 two weeks prior. That seems really quick, but the shift in eating and exercise habits, while not incredibly huge, are definitely making a difference.

And yeah... this whole getting fit thing is addicting.

Now to make sure that my newest addiction, White Knight Chronicles ( *glares at Ryan* ), doesn't overtake working out time. lol

Haha, well I have to give props to Kenny...just quit our guild rank farming session to work out...kudos! Time to go play some Sacred 2...

Haha, well I have to give props to Kenny...just quit our guild rank farming session to work out...kudos! Time to go play some Sacred 2...
And an hour later, I'm in need of a shower. The good news is that the workout went well. And, as an added bonus, I gotta talk with one of my neighbors after my cooldown walk. Now for a post-workout snack of apple and peanut butter, a shower, and to use my workout-boosted energy to stay up late and reach at least level 20 in White Knight Chronicles.

Gotta make that guild rank work less one-sided.

The heart rate needs to stay at about 60% (Not sure if that is the exact number), otherwise your body will start burning muscle as it is worried it won't have enough fat. I'm sure you could find a more scientific explanation online, but that is the gist of it.

I used P90x for about 4 months. I must say i really liked the program for fat loss. I dropped from 198 to 179. But i was not happy with muscle gain or definition. I believe i was overworking myself on the program. It's also important to note that my diet was not 100% in check. Since then, i have been weight training almost exclusively and have seen amazing results.The most difficult part is the diet for me.

Currently i'm at 185 pounds 16% BF. I would like to get up to 200 pounds 10% BF

Old Spice guy will be in a movie (small part) with Jennifer Anniston.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i0cbf0f1b5c08147a869f1073841fea3c

This is completely unrelated until the end:
"I've been doing Tony Horton's DVD sets for three years. Right now, I'm vegan-cleansing: no processed sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol, no animal products and no gluten. I never knew what gluten was before. Now I know exactly what it is, and it's everything I want!"

Tony Horton = P90 guy.

This post is now diamonds!

On an MMA note there is a Christian MMA company called Jesus Didn't Tap. So if you are looking for sponsors, maybe look here because it looks like they are looking I think.

Also the owner of the company is Jason David Frank, the original Green Ranger from Power Rangers. He made his MMA debut at Texas Cage Fighting.

Texas Cage Fighting

I am stoked for UFC117 this Sat. Gonna have a big turn out this week. We have a good mix of Christian/Non-Christians that hang out every month for the fights.

On an MMA note there is a Christian MMA company called Jesus Didn't Tap. So if you are looking for sponsors, maybe look here because it looks like they are looking I think.
Oh awesome. Thanks for the heads up! :D

I am stoked for UFC117 this Sat. Gonna have a big turn out this week. We have a good mix of Christian/Non-Christians that hang out every month for the fights.
Yessssssss. I think I've persuaded my dad and brother to join me at Buffalo Wild Wings to watch it. I'm hyped. Also, hoping that it'll be a shot in the arm that I need to get back to training more hardcore instead of this "do what I must to keep on track and call it good" slump I've gotten myself into.

I am planning on getting a Jesus Didn't Tap tattoo.
Nice. Repetitive as it is, I love the Jesus Didn't Tap music on their website. lol

Also, I saw that Jason Frank just went pro with his MMA this week. He fought and won his first fight. Submission by rear naked choke in under a minute. That is really impressive to me. In his amateur career, he submitted an opponent by arm bar in under 30 seconds. That's just intense.

Nice. Repetitive as it is, I love the Jesus Didn't Tap music on their website. lol

Also, I saw that Jason Frank just went pro with his MMA this week. He fought and won his first fight. Submission by rear naked choke in under a minute. That is really impressive to me. In his amateur career, he submitted an opponent by arm bar in under 30 seconds. That's just intense.

What would be more impressive is to see Frank in UFC, WEC or Strikeforce. Seriously it would bring an excitement to the sport that hasn't been seen in a long time.

What would be more impressive is to see Frank in UFC, WEC or Strikeforce. Seriously it would bring an excitement to the sport that hasn't been seen in a long time.
It'd be pretty sweet, but I'd say that Lesnar vs. Carwin was a pretty big deal... and an incredible match all around.

Also, related to my progress, I wrote a lengthy reflection over the things that went well and the things that didn't go so well in this first month of effort. Rather than going for a copypasta here, I'll just link you to the posting on my blog.

WOW what was that #UFC117 ?!?! Amazing fights, every one was fantastic. I cannot believe the ending tho, I have never not wanted a fighter to come back more then tonight. Gah that was frustrating!!!

WOW what was that #UFC117 ?!?! Amazing fights, every one was fantastic. I cannot believe the ending tho, I have never not wanted a fighter to come back more then tonight. Gah that was frustrating!!!
More frustrating than that? I didn't even see it. Went to Buffalo Wild Wings, and the one that just opened by my house was charging a $5 cover per person. It was me, my dad, and my brother. I talked them into going, but the added cost was a "nope... peace out" deal. Sad day. I really wanted to see the Hughes fight. <3 Matt Hughes.

More frustrating than that? I didn't even see it. Went to Buffalo Wild Wings, and the one that just opened by my house was charging a $5 cover per person. It was me, my dad, and my brother. I talked them into going, but the added cost was a "nope... peace out" deal. Sad day. I really wanted to see the Hughes fight. <3 Matt Hughes.

ahh bummer! The Hughes fight was really good, I just about hurt my voice yelling on that one.

MMA that I pay attention to are as follows:

UFC
WEC
Strikeforce
King of the Cage
Impact FC

I also used to watch the PRIDE Fighting Championship. I miss those. MMA has now become so mainstream that it is hard for me to be different anymore.

Back