New name. GRRRR

Reason

I woke up this morning and signed on to WoW so I could check my mail before going to school to find this message. "The character name you are using goes against the rules for creating a name. Please enter in a new character name." I'm like, what in the world is this?!?!?!?! Apparently, "Dstrbd" can't be used for some reason. Maybe because there are not any vowels? Who knows. But if that is the case, I could have been told a month ago when I created the character. So from this point on, there is no more Dstrbd. I changed my characters name to Reason.

A little thing like changing my main characters name actually really made me mad this morning. Now all of my friends will have a new name on their list and have no idea on who it is. Everyone in the guild that doesn't post on the forums is not going to know me anymore. It just isn't the same. :(

Another guild, another server, we have a member who loves bowling. He's from New Hampshire. I've played along side him 3 different games spanning 6 years. Because he's from New Hampshire and is an avid bowler, he always uses the name of NHBowler.

I got him playing WoW - he created NHBowler, we leveled our 1st WoW characters together and finally hit 60 with them. 4 months after hitting 60, he received the same notice regarding his name. the "NHB" in NHBowler meets the Blizzard criteria for jibberish.

Obediah said:
Another guild, another server, we have a member who loves bowling. He's from New Hampshire. I've played along side him 3 different games spanning 6 years. Because he's from New Hampshire and is an avid bowler, he always uses the name of NHBowler.

I got him playing WoW - he created NHBowler, we leveled our 1st WoW characters together and finally hit 60 with them. 4 months after hitting 60, he received the same notice regarding his name. the "NHB" in NHBowler meets the Blizzard criteria for jibberish.

Did he continue playing WoW? Or should I ask, does he still play now?

Man that bites, it is very difficult to understand their reasonings at times. I guess now you have a "reason" to be "dstrbd" :)

Heh. Our entire guild was disbanded and we had to recreate it and reinvite everyone in because of that very same reason. Apparently, Blizzard didn't find "God's Peons" as humorous as I did.

Well here is the verdict. I sent this email to them this morning.....

"I had received a message this morning when logging in to my main character that the name I had chosen for my character was inappropriate. The name in question is "Dstrbd." I read over the terms for selecting a name and I do not see how this is in violation of any of them. The name which I wanted originally was "Disturbed" and it was taken so I just shortened it. I changed my characters name to "Reason" so I could log in this morning to check the mail on my account. I am asking that if possible, my name be changed back to Dstrbd please. Unless of course I did miss on the Naming Terms and Agreements page on how I violated one or more of them.

If the name is not appropriate, could I please be told why?

Thank you,"

To which I got this in reply.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding the World of Warcraft account you are using. We understand your point of view in this matter, yet the character name "Dstrbd" is not appropriate for World of Warcraft as it falls into the Pure Gibberish category of the World of Warcraft Naming Policy (http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowgm/?id=agm01722p). This category includes both clear and masked names which consist of a string of letters which do not produce a pronounceable name (i.e. Asdfasdf, Jjxccm, Hvlldrm). In playing this game, you will encounter thousands of other players who share different experiences and come from vastly different backgrounds. While a certain name may be appropriate to you, please consider the fact that that same name may have a completely different effect on someone else. The bottom line is that we want World of Warcraft to be a fun and safe environment. Therefore, we regret to inform you that we are unable to reverse the account action previously issued.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your time and understanding in this matter."

Now to some, it might be just a name......however this really really really makes me rather angry. Why would I be able to create a name that isn't ok to use in the game? And then they want to tell me about it MONTHS after the fact?!?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

******Edit: I did put in for a name change so I might not be using Reason as my Priest's name. I'll edit this again if there are any other changes. If this happens, I won't be as mad due to I love the other name also. It is off of my lvl 43 hunter that I have. Just switching names. If this happens, I won't be in a bad mood anymore. :p

Last edited:
I will do you one better, you better watch out for "persecution" about having a guild of Christians. I was told by others to be careful so we have to downplay that we are a guild of believers so that they will not remove our guild. As for the name of the Kaz Modan guild, we shall see if they let it stay or not.

Last edited:
Counselor said:
Might be interested to know your old name has not been removed from the Khaz Modan server yet.

Awsome. Watch, I'll probably get introuble for not deleting that name because I should have "known" better than to keep it.

For those who are old enough to remember. When I first started playing WoW in Feb or Mar of 2005 my character Zebidiah was actually named Yahweh. I too received the notice to change my name because of a rules violation. I had no problem changing it as I understand that they want to keep the servers of Azeroth as sterile as possible so that all people can enjoy the game without having their sensibilities offended everywhere they go. Let's face it:

regular person + anonymity + captive audience = act like an idiot

Regardless of my intentions for creating a human priest named Yahweh, not everyone appreciates the meaning. To be honest, I didn't really think the name was appropriate either. We all have our moments of weakness while staring at the character creation screen (like all of the people who knowingly select gnomes as a race). So sad... :D

Last edited:
Back