new loot rules form blizzard starting today

In case you can't visit Blizz's site at work *nudge nudge*... here's the text:

Need Before Greed Changes
With the launch of patch 3.3 we will be making a number of changes to our loot systems; most notably, the Need Before Greed looting method. Following these changes, to be eligible to roll need on an item using the Need Before Greed looting method:

* The player's class must be able to equip the item (e.g. Druids cannot roll need on swords)
* The item must be the class' dominant armor type (e.g. Paladins are only able to roll need on plate armor)
* The player's class must not be a pure melee class (e.g. Rogues) if the item has spellpower

Despite these changes, all players will be able to roll greed for any item looted using the updated Need Before Greed looting method.

Please note: The Need Before Greed looting method is the unalterable default looting system for pick-up groups using the Dungeon System.

New Disenchant Looting Option
If a player with a suitable level of Enchanting is in a group when an item is looted using the Need Before Greed or Group Loot methods, players will be presented with the option to make a Disenchant Roll. The Disenchant Roll will operate like a Greed Roll; however, the winning roller will receive the disenchanted materials instead of the item. Because Disenchant Rolls are given the same priority as Greed Rolls, the following are true:

* If a player rolls Need for an item, both Disenchant and Greed Rolls are superseded
* If all players roll Greed or Disenchant and the highest roll is a Greed Roll, the item will be awarded to the winner
* If all players roll Greed or Disenchant and the highest roll is a Disenchant Roll, the disenchanted materials will be awarded to the winner

To make a Disenchant Roll, players must click the Disenchant option on the loot window. If there is not an Enchanter in the group, the Enchanter does not have the sufficient level of skill to disenchant the item, or the item is unable to be disenchanted, the Disenchant option will not be available, and will be grayed out.

Badge and Emblem Distribution Changes

If a player is disconnected or is unable to loot badges or emblems for any reason, the appropriate badges will be sent by "The Postmaster" automatically via in-game mail if they are eligible for the loot.

At first, I wasn't crazy about the disenchant option, but since it is weighted the same as a greed roll, I like it... i think. The only advantage that I could see before is that you could greed everything and then if you changed your mind about an item, you could talk to whoever won the roll... now if they choose DE, it's too late.

I like the changes to the need rolls. Silly pallies taking my priest's healing gear!

If you're running with a level 80 for which a BoE green is an upgrade....you probably have more serious issues to deal with.

it works for blues and purples too, from what I understand.

I'm thinking in the case of off-spec vs DE mats. "need" really isn't the best option, as you want to leave it open to someone that it's an upgrade for their main spec... but rolling greed now opens it up to becoming a shard.

Perhaps we suggest rolling need, but discussing it between the people that roll need? Or still Need/Greed/Pass (can we even disable the DE option?) and still just shard it at the end?

Its just another option and it works for epics etc, we tried it last night and it worked fine, you can't disabled per say but you can just hit need or greed instead or you can just pass as well just like before, its just a third option you can use or not use.

Back