New Laptop Options

David's Sling

I was planning on getting a new laptop that I could carry with me to college. I was considering trying out a Mac for the first time. Boot Camp lets all new Macs and Macbooks run Windows natively at normal speeds, so if I don;t like the OS I could still use Windows, but on my Macbook. However, I was wondering if any of you could help me decide.

If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate your input, especially if you are familiar with both systems. The 15in Macbook Pro caught my eye, as it would be a suitable desktop replacement, meaning I could leave my current computer at home so that my little sister could use it.

Please, no baseless Mac vs. PC patriotism, just facts and opinions based on actual experience that would be helpful for a potential switcher.

Not patriotism, but just the fact that you can get a $450 PC notebook with the same capabilities as a $1250 mac laptop. Unless you think the Mac OS and all the nice software that comes with it are worth that much more. Also I think dual booting is rather wasteful.

Not patriotism, but just the fact that you can get a $450 PC notebook with the same capabilities as a $1250 mac laptop. Unless you think the Mac OS and all the nice software that comes with it are worth that much more. Also I think dual booting is rather wasteful.

You also missed the fact that girls find Macs cute. This could be an important consideration in your purchase.

On a serious note you should also explore what programs are used in your degree. I started with a Mac but had to switch to a PC when I found that many of the statistical programs I needed either did not have a Mac version or were not at the highest level. On the other hand my wife was forced to Mac for her graphic design course.

actually that $450 gets you a base windows basic system with no aero, no office, no audio programs, restricted multimedia, and other issues. You'll spend $400 for office laone and more money getting ht rest of hte capabilities pluged in. by the time you get all of the purchaed and installed the mac is quite the bargain. For $1250 mac you get a machine that can do all of the above excellently but can also run windows(if you really have to) plus there's tons of free or commericial software to extend it further. It's BSD internals give it a level of security out of hte box Windows can not dream of without significant user training and configuration. If you can afford a mac..that is the way i would go...

Last edited:
Well woot for open office :) and other great open source multimedia programs. And mac doesn't come with office either. And I gave credit to macs coming with lots of good software already. Security has never been much of a problem so long as you are not stupid and actually install a bad "activeX" or "windows media codex" (virus) on your comp.
You hardly need to spend $500+ on software to make a PC better than a mac for most uses.

Also Mac's are the new bandwagon I see, and I always like bashing on bandwagons heh

Last edited:
Well woot for open office :) and other great open source multimedia programs. And mac doesn't come with office either. And I gave credit to macs coming with lots of good software already. Security has never been much of a problem so long as you are not stupid and actually install a bad "activeX" or "windows media codex" (virus) on your comp.
You hardly need to spend $500+ on software to make a PC better than a mac for most uses.

Also Mac's are the new bandwagon I see, and I always like bashing on bandwagons heh
I don't bandwagon i promote superior technology. If windows were truly better than the mac i would say so. But for just about anything non-gaming related MAC(if you want a commercial solution) are way better than windows by design(in terms of how the OS is designed). MS is slowly loosing it's grip. I have an accounting client that is now joining up with other accountants he knows and pressuring his vendors to support...Linux or mac natively. He would prefer Linux since it's better designed and free but he'll take the better designed mac as well.

Just comes down to value for me, and macs are simply not worth that much more. My $450 has much more power than a $1000 macbook. Though it may not look as sexy :)

Windows may not be better than mac, but it's not $550 better.

HCS, forget the software for a minute. Compare the hardware in a Mac and a similarly-priced laptop with Vista.

There's absolutely no contest. :|

I was more looking for a hardware comparison, because if worst comes to worst (and I end up hating the Mac OS) I can install Vista. And Macs can apparently run Vista just as well as equivalently specced PCs now.

This is not about bandwagons. I think knocking down bandwagons just because they are popular is just as futile as jumping on one for the sake of it.

HCS, forget the software for a minute. Compare the hardware in a Mac and a similarly-priced laptop with Vista.

There's absolutely no contest. :|
actualy it is a runaway victory for the mac as the two are the same in hardware..mac jsut uses the efi firmware instead of hte ancient binary bios.

I was more looking for a hardware comparison, because if worst comes to worst (and I end up hating the Mac OS) I can install Vista. And Macs can apparently run Vista just as well as equivalently specced PCs now.

This is not about bandwagons. I think knocking down bandwagons just because they are popular is just as futile as jumping on one for the sake of it.

In your case I don't think it really is about hardware but software that is most important. What programs do you need or conceivable need in the future? does both Mac and PC have options for running this software? What is the difference in features and in support? What are most of your classmates and lectures running (note that if they are running PCs and you have a Mac - or vice versa - all sorts of difficulties can ensue when you need help)?

Note that while you can duel boot (or even tri-boot a Mac - Maybe you like Linux) you can't do the reverse for a PC.

These are your real concerns! I love Macs but simply cannot use them as the software I use does not support it (note I know you can duel-boot but for illustration purposes). Also I remember being the only one running Mac and so no-one could help me figure out my version of SPSS so I my life was just that little more difficult. So I am stuck with an ugly PC riddled with viruses.

quote a bit of the software available for hte pc is available for hte mac as well(if it's not already built in).

Keep in mind that a machine is a machine and they occasionally break. I have my own IT/Computer repair business and frequently get calls from frustrated Mac owners asking if I work on them. I don't and usually refer them to one of two local outlets that do. They cringe because the place I usually recommend is four weeks out on repairs and much more expensive.

I've had my Toshiba Satellite for SIX years with zero problems (except that it won't play GW).

I've had my Toshiba Satellite for SIX years with zero problems (except that it won't play GW).

I find that a major problem...

But yea.. no matter what you get if you take care of it and don't do stupid things it should last you a while.

I think your safer going with a Mac.. like you said if you learn to hate it you can always install Windows OS and live happily ever after. I'm not much for computer tech stuff (tho rapidly changing thanks to CGA) but from what has been said in this thread Mac Hardware is pretty much the same as PC hardware if not a little better. So if your willing to pay the extra money for all that cool software stuff then go for a Mac, but if your a little tight on cash I would go with PC.

Well, I am actually in line to get some major scholarship funding (praise God!).

So, I should easily be able to use some of the money I have saved up for a better laptop. I think a Mac is the way to go. From what I have seen, it supports most, if not all, of my software needs.

And Windows is still supported, so I always can have access to it if I really need it. I will definitely install at least a minimal partition to run GW on, and I can always expand it later if I need to use any Microsoft-only programs.

Thank you all for your imput and advice. It really has been quite helpful. :D

Back