New GW update

The two new explorable area's have been announced, and are both being release on September 7. based on what arena said it is for high level characters that have ascended. it makes me wonder if it is going to be like the underworls and the fissure, where you have to pay to get in. i hope they make it just straight up explorable because they didn't have much of that towards the end od the game, but it doesn't sound like it will be that way, i have my fingers crossed though. i am so excited after all this time to get new content! :)

I'm thinking that one of the areas will be accessible from the Temple of Ages like the Fissure of Woe and Underworld and the other area will be in the shiverpeaks somewhere since there's dwarves. But that's just my guess.

My personal feeling is that BOTH areas will be accessible from ToA-- one through paying Melandru, one through paying Dwayna. The reason I think this is because I saw their avatars in ToA last night. Pure speculation on my part, but that's my theory.

guildwars.com said:
Sorrow's Furnace offers two large, explorable regions: Grenth's Footprint and Sorrow's Furnace.
Jeff Strain said a few things ingame yesterday!

"The quests are much more varied than core Guild Wars - we added a lot of new content tools towards the end of development, and never made use of them as much as we wanted. SF has a much more sophisticated level design approach."

"extra character slots - I can tell you for sure that is coming."

"we are working activly on observer right now -- can't give you an exact date, but early-mid fall is likeley."

"we are working on something to resolve trade spamming, alone the lines of an auction house."

Opaca: "Will the summer update areas allow henchmen parties?"
Jeff Strain: "Opaca - yes"

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
My personal feeling is that BOTH areas will be accessible from ToA-- one through paying Melandru, one through paying Dwayna. The reason I think this is because I saw their avatars in ToA last night. Pure speculation on my part, but that's my theory.

The avatars are always there if we have the favor of the gods. You just have to go up to the statue and /kneel to get them to show up. There is another statue there as well, Lyssa I believe it is. If you are out in the environment on a quest or something and come across a lively statue (meaning we have the favor of the gods), /kneel by it and the avatar will show up. You can talk to them and get your party a morale boost or an enchantment for a little gold.

Full article is below.

I'm excited. My Mom will be visiting that week but I'll try to reserve a night or two to meet up with guildees and go adventuring.

ArenaNet Releases their Guild Wars Update: Sorrow’s Furnace to Launch September 7th​

New Explorable Areas Available Free to All Guild Wars Players

Bellevue, Wa. (August 29, 2005) - ArenaNet®, creators of the #1 selling competitive online roleplaying game, Guild Wars®, announces the release of the much-anticipated Guild Wars update: Sorrow’s Furnace. To be released on September 7, 2005, the update will be available free to all Guild Wars account holders and will stream to them live at game log-in.

Sorrow's Furnace offers two large, explorable regions: Grenth's Footprint and Sorrow's Furnace. These regions will provide exciting new high-level content to Guild Wars players, and will offer new quests, new monsters, new items, and more. For characters who have completed their ascension in Guild Wars, these areas will provide new opportunities for exploration and reward.

Guild Wars is a competitive online roleplaying game that rewards player skill more than time played. Players explore a rich fantasy game world, acquire skills, build personalized characters and compete in head-to-head guild battles with players from around the world.

In addition, DirectSong will simultaneously release new music for Sorrow’s Furnace. DirectSong, the world's first official music expansion service, will offer a Sorrow's Furnace music Mini-Pak free of charge to all Guild Wars account holders who register at their website: www.directsong.com. The Mini-Pak also features a preview of Guild Wars Battle Pak 1, the first full music upgrade announced for Guild Wars, available end of September.

More information about Guild Wars and Sorrow’s Furnace can be found at www.guildwars.com.

I have yet to venture into all the lands, but I look forward to having more lands yet to explore ahead.

I have kinda left Talori stuck at Thunderhead (henchmen just can't take that last part and don't feel like yelling for a group as rangers are too common, making group finding a pain). So I hope I can get to these new places without having completed all the missions.

groups are easy, just invite like crazy then leave lol thats what i do, useally have 1-2 people mad at me but oh well

Excellent to see they've finally inked a date.

The two avatars lying fallow at the Temple of the Ages always seemed baffling, at least until they announced the Summer Update and it dawned on me that perhaps that was always the plan.

Good times. :)

oh man!!!!!!!!! I am so excited! SPELUNKING in new areas sounds like fantastic fun. Upgraded music packs is a neat idea as well.

Update on new areas from Fansite Friday #57

But consider Sorrow’s Furnace and Grenth’s Footprint. They will be more readily entered – no cost, no timing issues – and they will offer the same quality of experience and reward as Fissure of Woe and The Underworld for high-level players.

So new zones won't be based on favor or require an entry fee. It'll be interesting to see how this works out.

More updates on the update:

Sorrows Furnace Update Page

Game Update Notes

Biggest new thing to take note of increased gold cost for skills:

Many things will become significantly easier to acquire, including skill points and skills. But the gold cost of learning a skill from a trainer will be somewhat more expensive for most players.

Due to this change, we would like to suggest that players who have unspent Skill Points may wish to invest them prior to the update on September 7th.
Something to keep in mind. I just bought a few extra Signet of Captures. You can have more than one.

People were talking earlier in this thread about "pay to play" areas of Guild Wars? I looked through the press releases on the GW website and didn't see anything like that.

What's that all about?

i thought i read somewhere on the GW website that it will never go Pay2Play.. i coulda grasped that from a reveiw somewhere but i don't know, i almost went and bought the game just because of that, decided to borrow a friends account to see if my computer could have run it and it lagged terrable.. coulda been because i was downloading the resources as i needed them because i wasn't useing the cd but oh well....

Shagz said:
People were talking earlier in this thread about "pay to play" areas of Guild Wars? I looked through the press releases on the GW website and didn't see anything like that.

What's that all about?

They are referring to the high-end content levels Underworld and Fissure of Woe. Both of these areas require the team to "donate" 1,000 gold (1 platinum) for entry. So "pay to play" isn't referring to real money, but rather in-game cash.

ArchAngel said:
one time fee, I take it?

Nope. It costs 1000 gold each time you go to the Underworld or Fissure. It is paid by the team leader. Usually, the team leader will request that everyone pay their share of the 1000 gold. If it is a full team of 8 going down, it's only 125 gold each. This is relatively cheap compared to what drops you get there. So when you see Anet talk about paying to enter an area (or not having to pay), they are talking about in-game gold.

Back