New Computer black out

MouseOfAslan

Since getting this new computer I've experienced blackouts during game play. During the black outs I've finally been able to get a computer response saying Aion is not responding. There is some vague stuff about other people having same issues I've found while surfing the web, but no solutions. Some have suggested it's a bad RAM card, others have tried things I can't understand, but none have posted solutions.

I've got to figure it out soon or take the computer back for a refund before the time is up to be able to get a refund.

It's been suggested that I try downloading the XP mode of windows and try running it and see if I get same response.

Any other suggestions?

I have a Hewlett Packard P6230Y AMD Phenom II
X4 Processor 810

Also, this computer does not recognise the new external hard drive I bought-- it's a Seagate FreeAgent which my old computer did recognise and I downloaded stuff to it.
upgraded processor to 650 watts
upgraded vid card to NVida GeForce GTX260

Last edited:
Just so you know, I have the same exact video card and I crash non-stop once I enter Sanctum unless I turn the settings to LOW and do a Shift f12 to turn off all people. I have to turn off people in Eltnen as well or I crash there.
I've tried old and new drivers, nothing helps. I had mucho problems running Sims 3 with this video card making me sorry I changed from my old slow vid card. It's a great card, but seems to have issues with high performance. They say turn V-sync on, but that did not help. Try to turn your settings down in the crowded places and shift F12 just to test and see if the problem goes away so you can narrow down that it's not the vid card for you.

For the external hard drive issue - visit Seagate's website and see if there is a new driver, also make sure you are running in Administrator (right click, run as administrator) to try to open it and read it. Not sure if any of the above helps, but I hope in some way it does!! Good luck!
Mel/Tawni

It's been suggested that I try downloading the XP mode of windows and try running it and see if I get same response
XP mode isn't for gaming, doubt it would work. I've tried similar games an it didn't take. Also you need Win 7 Pro or Ultimate.

get them to change the nvidia card for an ati 4850 or higher and see if hte issues go away.
Ati 5870 would be a closer match. An I agree that you should try this switch. It would be a quick an simple fix if it works.

Do yo still have the computer?

it's a Seagate FreeAgent which my old computer did recognise and I downloaded stuff to it.
Get to a computer where it does work. Unload your things, then format it into NTFS (this will delete everything on it) and copy the stuff back.

Last edited:
Ok, so when I started having problems with Ventrilo, after working all day surfing the net to see if I could find some fixes for some of this stuff, I decided that I shouldn't be having to work this hard to get a brand new computer to work properly. I took it back. I would appreciate some help in figuring out what my options are. As you all are probably now aware, I'm not the best at working with computers, but can learn. I think someone sent me an e-mail on a good system, I'll double check that as well.

Thanks for all the help you all have given me so far. God bless :)

Pray for the old computer to last til I have a replacement.

ok I like to single source things if possible and there's no better single source right now than AMD...so i would get an amd cpu with an amd chpset and an ati(which is amd) 4850 or higher vid card. The nice thing about this configuration is you instlal one driver for the sound, video, and mobo(the ati catalyst driver). Also 3 gigs of ram minimum but no real need for more than 4. powersupply of at least 600 watts or higher and i would not go for anything slower than 1.5 ghz. I would also advise 64 bit since under winodws all memory(including video card memory) is counted in the total windows count.

Does that mean I need to put it together? Or find someone who can do it? Should I order all the parts then have someone install or put it together? One of the things my lazy butt likes about Del, is that they very helpful about fixing their product.... this is big in my book, but my funds don't extend to the current Del gaming stuff or equiv.

Being the neophyte computer person I am, I will need to know how to go about getting the computer which I finally decide to purchase..... (hint for future help :) )

Last edited:
Should I order all the parts then have someone install or put it together?
I'll post the links to the newegg items in here for you. Then take it a local computer shop an have them put it together. Just give me a little time.

5870's are in very short supply and higher prices. the 4870/90 matches the nvidia card he had and he saves on $$$. Mouse what is your budget? do you need just a tower or the whole shooting match?

Last edited:
dvd bruner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136167
case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137
hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148410
mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157154
video: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161268
power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015
ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178235
cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103656
OPerating system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

These are the kind of specs you want your machine built to. this is only for the tower..if you want a monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers let us know..:)

BTW total cost before shipping and taxes:
$792.91

When you get a quote form a vendor if they are like 200 bucks or more lower check the hardware specs closely..or get the specs of the machine and post here..we'll make sure you get setup right..:)

Last edited:
My monitor will serve and my mouse seems to be ok so far, keyboard hasn't given me too much trouble, kind of doubles up on some letters and can't read many on the keyboard, so I expect someday to have to replace it. Thanks for the post, I'll start looking it up and probably ordering soon.

Was reading the cons on the tower and it says the ventilation isn't the best? The room I live in gets very hot, so ventilation will probably be very important for whatever system I get.

Last edited:
With an attempt at not starting a tech war, the list Hescominsoon gave is good. Though I would like to make a few suggestions.

Strongly recommended:

Mobo -
Asus AM3 mobo - $99 (additional $40 over other)
Pure AM3 socket, DDR3 mem (ddr2 $ is going up, plus this is faster), most importantly build quality. There is a world of difference between the 2 boards, check capacitors. Also big names like Asus are better with returns. When it comes to motherboards - EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte.

RAM -
Crucial DDR3 high speed Better quality, and faster. Get 2 for $105 (additional $7)

Video card -
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB
1gb of mem an not 512 like the 4870. Also Sapphire is a better brand then hir. $170 (additional $15 over 4870)

Recommended but not of high need
Power supply -
Corsair 650w
The Antec is ok, but the Corsair is a better quality. $99 (additional $20)

All changes made around $885 which is far cheaper then what you paid for the HP. Plus the system is faster and better quality. :)

Last edited:
no war but le me address some things:
On the mobo ddr3 doesn't give you better system performance on the AMD side(AMD is much more efficient than Intel in this area) so instead of getting a higher clockspeed you don't use, higher latency, more power usage and more heat go with ddr2..this is why i made that reccomendation

Can't get better than a lifetime warranty...crucial i only use for prebuilt systems as they gurantee compatibility however with the ram i reccomended you aren't paying for the crucial name..otherwsie quality is going to be comporable.

Sapphire is not better than HIS. Unless he is using x-fire at 1920x1080 or higher with all the eyecandy at max it has been shown that 512 megs of video ram is no benefit than 1 gig. That extra ram equates to higher power draw and more heat generation.

Corsiar is not a power supply company first they are a ram company first. Antec was doing psu's nearly a decade vbefore corsair has the dream of it. The only other more established psu company is enlight. In this case i went with the much more established company with over a decade's worth of industry leading experience...and you saved some cash in the process.

Last edited:
Ugh, now you have me looking at parts and thinking of building my own PC to upgrade.

Those both look like good lists of parts - lots of good recommendations here.

I agree, lots of good suggestions, I'll mull it over for a bit, want to make sure everything is compatable. Wonder how much the computer people will charge in addition to the cost of parts plus shipping. Almost makes me wish I could put it together myself.

Last edited:
it's all compatible..i would not have suggested it otherwise. Even if you buy it form hp or dlel there's always a small chance of issues..but it's very small.

Unless he is using x-fire at 1920x1080 or higher with all the eyecandy at max it has been shown that 512 megs of video ram is no benefit than 1 gig
I just spent an hour going over graphics charts at Tom's Hardware. An the extra ram does make a difference, even at the lower settings.
Sometimes it only 2-3 frams others it can be around 10fps. An these are very consistent scores with the 1gb always a little ahead at least. Also I consider future proofing as LCD prices are dropping at a good rate.

I was actually surprised at the 4870. I thought the 5770 was closer to it. Though off by only a few fps. At the same price 4870 is the better pick though marginal inmost situations.

New vid card pick - Sapphire 4870 1gb

Sapphire is not better than HIS
In the actual product true. My thoughts in most of my recommendations (except the mobo) were related to customer support and warranty. I've heard good things about Sapphire, Corsair, Asus but don't know much about the guys you said. To me this is an important area, thus my recommend.

Mobo -
so instead of getting a higher clockspeed you don't use, higher latency, more power usage and more heat
Future proofing, also there is an improvement in games. Well up to the 1600 point at least. Plus DDR3 runs at 1.65v the DDR2 you have is 2.1v. Less volt = less heat (in most cases). As for Latency, that is dropping as well along with the price; DDR2 prices on the other hand are going up.

RAM -
crucial i only use for prebuilt systems as they gurantee compatibility
An thus my recommendation, also they were on the lower price range of DDR3.

Antec -
Love their cases, just never took a deep look at PSU's. Last I looked for a 1k watt, corsair had awesome marks. But I checked the Antec an they got a high rating as well. So you are right in saving a little $$ there. :)

Wonder how much the computer people will charge in addition to the cost of parts plus shipping.
My work place is $60 for system build and $110 for OS. But you should be able the handle the OS.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help :) 'Bug' and UXZero..... so very much appreciated. I found someone locally who I used to take my computers to a long time ago. I really liked their work then and was happy to find out they are still around. They will put it all together for me for approx $45.00 to $55.00. All ordered and anxiously waiting my new computer :)

Back