Nether Woes

Kahiel

I don't have a lot of experience playing in the nether on a server. I've built two nether portals. In both cases the portals link up to someone else's portal in the nether which when I try to go back through sends me back to their portal, not mine. Is there a way I can move my portals so they act independent of the one's I accidently linked to?

Yeah, building a nether portal in the overworld will usually not create one in the nether. When you build your overworld-side portal, hit F3 and write down the coordinates (X and Z). Then go through, into the Nether, bringing your 10 obsidian and flint/steel. Divide the X by 8 and the Z by 8. Those resulting coordinates are where you want to build your nether-side portal. That will usually work, but if you have other portals nearby in the overworld, then you want to make the Y coordinates the same or close together too (but don't divide by 8). The game will take your overworld coordinates, then try to find the nearest portal in the nether from (X/8, Y, Z/8) to transfer you to.

Well, tonight was a dismal failure. I used the coords above and the nether portal took me to a portal suspended over the ocean.

So I decided to try the one from my house near spawn. The coords want me to build it in someone's flower bed, so I decided to explore the nether rack above the flower bed and found some lava, which killed me and destroyed all my gear including 20+ blocks of obsidian.

Oy.

Oh and sorry, I spent the rest of the evening remaking and enchanting all my gear. I haven't had time to fix the lava flow in the nether.

Last edited:
Oy, turns out I missed a number in the first set of coordinates I used. I successfully created a portal that links to my overworld portal. Thanks. Now I just need to find some glow stone.

Back