Needing some advice on college, or maybe life in general.

Skibabinz

So at this point, I've earned roughly 64 to 67 credit hours at a University in upstate Kentucky. However, the problem is that I'm pretty well going crazy sitting here in this dorm room. I've attempted to get a job off campus and on campus, yet no one is hiring, or if they are, they're not hiring students because of schedule conflicts being messy, and generally students never showing up for work. So I've been considering transferring back home to a local community college, and getting an associates degree of some sort. I've finished all but 1 gen ed course, and I just honestly want so bad to get out and work its driving me crazy. I don't like sitting here in this dorm room all the time. I suppose I may be a tad anti-social, but I've tried injecting myself into a crowd, but I often find those situations becoming more awkward than not, generally with me getting the feeling that I'm "that guy" who everyone kinda wishes would leave. I usually make everyone laugh when I get around them, but the people I do know on campus are always busy doing stuff in the programs that interest them, and most of the programs on campus meet at odd times, or when I got class (most of mine are evening).

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I haven't told my family yet, because I know the amount of bickering I'll hear about it will be tremendous. If I moved back home, I would imagine it wouldn't be long before I got a small apartment somewhere too, since I got a little bit of cash in the bank to live off of. I just need some input on what I should do. I want to work so bad right now its driving me crazy.

first off ima be a bit real because i work with students on this all the time :)

2nd stay in school. you will regret it for the rest of your life and you'll possibly be paying off debt and making even worse decisions that snow ball.

C: hows your bible reading?

d: whats your church life like?

e: whats God telling you about the circumstance

vi: i know college is obnoxious in soooo many ways, but its one of the best times of your life and it will only get better once you get into a major that you understand and like a lot.

vii: <3

I'd go along with Atown - don't leave school because you are bored or frustrated. School does that to a person.

If you have completed all but one general ed course, transferring to a community college isn't going to help you. Community college is designed to give you your general ed classes (and an Assoc degree) so you can move on to a four year degree. Yes, you'd be "done" with a program but you will not have a college degree. You need to think of the time, energy and money (and heart-ache) you put into college as an investment in your future. Copleting that degree will open so many doors and opportunities that will not be options if you do not finish.

There is no reason to sit around in the dorm. Like Atown suggested - find a church - a Christian organization - something to do and places to be. The dorm is for studying and sleeping.

Sounds like you are a little down on yourself right now. Sounds like you need someone to talk to. Find someone to talk to before you make a decision this big.

Abba San and Atown have good points, going to try not to restate them here.

There are two reasons to go to a community college. First, to get training in a specific technical field which the college offers a certificate program in (nursing, computer tech, teaching assistant etc.) or to save some money getting your general ed classes in before moving on to a four-year school. If you are considering one of those technical fields then community college may be the right thing. It sounds as if you've already done the work for the associate's degree so going to community college would be a step backward for you. An associate's degree isn't going to help you get a job, take this from the person who taught at a community college for 12 years.

So what it comes to is, stay in school, find a local church, and find a campus ministry to get involved with. There are plenty of campus ministries you can get tied into which will provide you with spiritual support and help plug you into a Christian community.

Stay there. DONT leave. I know it's hard, I left, and like Atown says, YOU WILL REGRET IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

An Associates degree wont do much for you. A BA/BS will. Not having either will be a constant fight for survival. I have 4 kids, no degree, it took me 15 years in the trenches working my way to where I would have been starting had I stayed in college. It's a couple of years compared to 15.

Pray about it, a lot! Read the book of Proverbs. It's got a lot of business advice, that may be applicable to your situation. I will pray for you.

You sound a lot like I sounded around February in 2005. I had a job at a dealership and swore up and down that I wanted to be a auto technician while my parents wanted me to be a college graduate. I fought them tooth and nail to let me go to work full time, but they always said no. I lost my interest in school and my GPA plummeted. I later found out that I had plenty of intrinsic motivation to work on cars, but paying me to do mechanic work undermined that intrinsic motivation and then I no longer wanted to be a mechanic. With this new appreciation for school, I went back and earned my B.S. in psychology and now I'm shooting for a Master's in I/O psychology.

While I don't necessarily agree with Atown, he has a good point. It is paramount that you realize that you don't want to have nothing; you need some sort of formal training for a job. There are two sides to this story - A) throwing away your time as an undergraduate and a lot of money along side it by choosing the wrong major, and B) dropping out and never going back because it's harder than you think to get back into school (I only missed one school year, but when my friends were graduating in 2008, I still had three years to go...).

Don't just leave with no backup plans. Go to your adviser/counselor/faculty you trust (a good professor, etc.) and tell them what's going on. They'll help, I promise. But don't just leave and get a job at, say, Publix. School is a necessity for a lot of jobs and futures, but for many jobs and futures, that's not true. Find out what you want to do and take the appropriate actions to make it happen, but first ensure that you have a plan.

A friend of mine was an all-star in high school as far as his grades were concerned - 4.0 GPA the whole way through, but he never went to college. He started at the dealership with me after high school, but due to interests between him, his paycheck, and the management he later quit. Five years later he is a journeyman electrician making $60,000 a year - better than most graduates with a B.S.. You could do something like that. But you will still get trained, go to classes, take tests, etc.

Right now I think you're bored because you haven't found a major that interests you. Think of what majors interest you and go speak to faculty in those majors to see what jobs you can do with those majors, what the different attributes of each major is, etc.

Last edited:
Stay where you are and finish what you started. If God moves you the moving will be unstoppable, otherwise it's just the flesh moving you.

Sounds a little like what we used to call "Senior Burnout" at Asbury College. What ever you do, I will echo Odale here, have a plan, and then seek God's will. Find a rewarding and God honoring spare time activity. You should be young enough for some physical activity to burn off excess energy, that also helps. But in all you do seek God first, He will always be waiting for you before you look for Him. I will pray for you also.

Back