Need some prayer/direction here...

Logos

I love video games always have, and for my b-day I usually get some cash and I usually end up using to buy a game or two. Well, this year I got a good amount and I was thinking of purchasing a DS, but here is where the trouble starts...I am an assistant pastor and I also feel I need to take this money a purchase some more helpful resources for my "library" (although the flip side is that I have so much in my library now that it would take a lifetime and then some to cover all the material...) I know there is no set black and white on this I just need some advice or maybe some word about what direction I should take. I don't feel wrong about getting a new system, I just don't have a decision one way or the other and that worries me since I usually do about most things. :) Thanks in advance for your replies!!

I plan on purchasing a Nintendo DS Lite later this month (after E3 ends and I confirm that Nintendo isn't going to be making a new model of the DS with larger screens). I'm planning on getting Mario Kart DS, Brain Age, and Big Brain Academy.

If genuine conviction is causing you to considering spending your money on something you consider more "productive," then I would say heed that conviction.

But don't feel like you shouldn't buy a DS because it may be seen as a "toy" or a "silly game." The view that video games are "for children" and "a waste of time" is an outdated view. Be sure that the games never distract you from your relationship with God; as long as games don't become an idol, they can be just as healthy a hobby as reading or listening to music (depending on the content of the books and albums, of course).

Also consider that the money you received was a gift and the people who gave it to you likely meant for you to enjoy whatever you purchase with the money.

How interesting. I was having a similar discussion with a friend of mine the other day. We were actually talking about the "generation gap" and how adults and kids are on such different planes when it comes to electronics, and how many adults are having a more difficult time monitoring their kids (or in positions like youth pastors, identifying with the kids and their interests).

I don't know how much work you do with the youth in your church, but if you do quite a bit, this could be just one more thing that helps you connect with them. I'm not suggesting it so you can use it as a crutch to ignore your convictions, but rather seeing it as a possible tool to help you with your position. Books and learning materials are great things, but you need something to start a conversation with. Games, sports, and other things like that can be your gateway into a conversation.

If you have a real need to spend otherwise and feel a conviction to do so, then spend according to that conviction. If that's not the case, spend it the way you want to, without guilt.

Games can be good. My husband actually did a big presentation as part of one of his library classes on the value of games. Some games, in fact, can even be good for your brain!

And think on this: if you have a DS to pull out and play with while waiting places, it may keep you from getting cranky about the wait and help you treat people better. Isn't that a good thing? :D

All those years spent playing FPS games improved my eye/mouse coordination such that my dad gets dizzy whenever he watches me use the computer :p

Here is some scriptural advice....

Proverbs 3:5-6

5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Back