Need computer help again

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
ok, more or less my computer would only boot with the windows xp disk in after factory restore. so i tried a low level format, then a factory restore. didt work.... then i tried messing around with my boot.ini files then merged the 2 partitions that compaq gives u (1 is os and 2 is restore feature). now im really happy that i got rid of the evil partition #2, but now since i merged those, i get the: boost disk failre, insert system disk and press enter. and it wont boot with the xp disk now either.... help?

Ouch... I have no idea Atown, I wish I could help - that sounds like a really hairy problem.

I think merging ur partition may not have been a good idea.. It may have corrupted the boot sector of the hard drive in the process of combining it only through boot.ini. Your only chance would be complete format, since you have a bootable Windows XP disk, use it and completely format.

well currently i reforrmated, got another xp disk (burned a friends copy) and my cd key worked, i have no ties with compaq, i redid the partitions, but........ i still can only load my computer with the xp disk in >_< if its not i get the system disk error, insert system disk and hit enter..... i tried fixboot but that didt work, i havent tried fixMBR cuz im scared it might make me reformat my system again >_< . help?

I had that problem previously, I would say about 6 months ago or so... I repeatedly formatted.etc with no success. Anyways I pulled the HD out and noticed some pieces that looked like they were fried.... SO I put a new HD in and viola! Working computer! Not to mention it took days of frustration :) hope this helps!

well..... it kinda does.... did u still use that hd as a 2ndary? cuz im thinking of getting a sata controller card and a sata hd ^_^

Given the circumstances, I'd try a fixmbr at the Windows Recovery Console before investing in a new hard drive.

kk, thanks, and i would be doing video editing and im currently installing rhino so i do kinda need the space.

Back