NDA now lifted - can talk freely at last

Talori

I have been afraid to post due to that NDA :p But now that dark mysterious cloud has been lifted by Turbine and those who are in beta can talk about it.

I have been in the beta since November and was glad to be a part of the small group of us that linked up for a short time. Hopefully we can coordinate the efforts now before open beta to make sure we end up on the same server together.

Currently I have 4 characters I play on Meneldor (trying many different roles/aspects). This has been a fun experience, so fun that I preordered the game just this past weekend.

Finally!

The game's great. Or it was, during the beta phase I played. I downloaded the client for phase 2, but I have yet to install it.

/blush

I'll try to remember to post my character names after I re-roll them for this phase.

meh, im not impressed to be real honest.

Yea I got the beta in November... I only played my dwarf warrior to level 11, then I quit cause it was like playing WoW, if WoW was boring and a cruddy game that is. Yea I won't be playing this, sounded cool until I got an invite and actually played it. I have a feeling this is gonna e the next Star Wars: Galaxies. A shame really, 2 great franchises down the drain.

I played my hunter hobbit to level 23 in beta 1. I am only up to 21 so far this round. My other characters are an elf loremaster (14), hobbit burgler (13), and a dwarf guardian (12). Mind you the dwarves are intentionally genderless, so you do not know if they are male or female unless the person tells you!

The game is heavy on quests, which is what I like.

The crafting could use a bit of tweaking and changes, but I accept what they have done and do my best with what they have given us to work with. Would be better if we were given more of a choice, rather than the professions with set crafts.

I have not yet tried monster play, as I am not big on pvp (one of the reasons I quickly lost interest in Guild Wars - I really need to change my avatar & sig, hee hee).

The storyline is quite interesting to follow. Yes you do get to meet Strider, and various other characters along the way.

This game is not everyone's style of play, so of course not everyone is going to like it. I like it and plan to play as time allows :)

I've been in beta since November as well. I didn't play much during Phase 1, but have been playing frequently during Phase 2. I also pre-ordered about a week ago. I'm pretty excited.
I play on Brandywine. I have three characters:

Elf Lore-Master - Aesanthir
Dwarf Guardian - Thadisoin
Man Captain - Solomon

I had this idea about starting an in-game Bible study. That's the main reason I joined ToJ. I wanted to find other Christians to game with. I haven't really levelled up very far, but intend to. What does everyone else think about the Bible study?

Last edited:
Yea I got the beta in November... I only played my dwarf warrior to level 11, then I quit cause it was like playing WoW, if WoW was boring and a cruddy game that is. Yea I won't be playing this, sounded cool until I got an invite and actually played it. I have a feeling this is gonna e the next Star Wars: Galaxies. A shame really, 2 great franchises down the drain.
i actually love WoW compared to GW and other MMO's but this was just kinda lame copy cat

Finally!

Now I can tell everyone that this game is DDO:Middle Earth. For the same reasons I don't like DDO:Stormreach, I don't like LOTRO. My observations are based on Alpha 3 and Beta 1 and 2, so forgive me if my opinions are outdated.

For me, a MMO must have enjoyable, non-repetitive combat (at least, as non-repetitive as possible), graphics which are not three years outdated, and if it has crafting, it should involve skill and not just random luck.

For the first 20+ levels of Gemhammer, my Dwarf Captain, combat consisted of clicking on an enemy and watching the fight, occasionally clicking on my self heal. I finally gave up using skills when I realized that they actually hurt my total DPS for the most part. I was able to take out elite enemies 1-2 levels higher than me with little trouble, and gangs of 3-4 mobs my own level. Combat should be a matter of skill, not clicking the left button.

About graphics: I'm not a big graphics guy, if the gameplay is good then I'm OK with acceptable graphics. Maybe I'm a bit jaded, but every character model looks like the same models from DDO. I want graphics that tell me I'm in a unique world, and I did not feel like I was in Middle Earth. Where GW tells me I'm in Tyria at a glance, or FFXI tells me I'm in that world, LOTRO tells me I'm in a random, boring fantasy setting.

Crafting was just plain boring and unoriginal. Gather resources, synthesize resources, rinse, lather, repeat. Give me something new.

And that's about the whole of it-- give me something new, Turbine. Don't take a LOTRO label and stick it on a DDO box, especially since DDO was running out of the top 5 in total subscribers last time I looked.

i thought DDO was really lame is all aspects, very disappointed in both

Back