My investing thoughts.

C4K3

So I've got about $300 set aside and I want to prove that I can successfully invest it in the stock market. So I've done a little bit of research, found an industry comparison list, and have decided that it's probably for the best for me to invest in Mixed Retailing, Retail, or Retail/Wholesale. These industries have had growing results in both the short and long term. (Overstock.com grew over 600% in three months! Thanks, coronavirus.) I would invest in Automobiles, Motor Vehicles, or Automotive, but I was told by a (granted, 4 year old book) that they were taking on a lot of bad debt.

I plan to invest for 2 years or less. I have very little money but it's okay because my broker allows partial shares. I still have a bunch of more research to do on individual stocks, I just wanted to share what I'm going through for both your sakes and mine. Any thoughts?

If I were investing in the stock market right now, Dollar General (DG) would be my first choice. (More elaboration can be provided, but I won't subject the forum to it unsolicited)

Usually, though, stock market investment is more optimal for a ten-year-plus time period, but of course these aren't usual times. Now could be a good time to pick up some bargains to get your foot in the door and gain some experience with a cheaper cost-of-entry and learning curve than usual.

If you're interested, I can PM you some resources to look through for further research, though what I would most recommend for this particular point in time is Marc Levninson's An Extraordinary Time: The End of the Postwar Boom and the Return of the Ordinary Economy for gauging where markets are likely to go from here.

Hmm, at first glance Dollar General does seem like a good buy. I'll look into it further. I'll keep that book in mind too.

Edit: Just went over the fundamentals, it's pretty solid. I'll keep looking at the SEC filings and I'll make sure there's no pending legislation against it. Thanks for the tip. Anyone else want to add to the convo?

Last edited:
I came here to update myself in case anyone were watching, and were, for some reason, taking my information seriously. Upon looking at Dollar General, I did initially have some misgivings about their debt ratio.

Back