My computer sounds like a jet engine

SSquared

A few months after we bought a computer, the fans started really kicking in and sounding like a jet engine. This has been going on for close to 2 years and I have finally decided to bring it up.

It only happens when the computer starts doing any type of extra or major work. In fact, the fan gets louder or softer depending on how intense the work load is. I don't remember this happening when we first got the computer, and all of a sudden, I was playing games and it got really intense and super loud. New games cause the fans to really kick in. Older games (Half-Life, NOLF, etc.) are not as loud.

If I'm just surfing the internet, or doing a word document, things are fine. But if I start downloading something, the fan kicks in a little bit. If I download 2 things, the fan gets a little louder. And so on.

At this point, I'm not exactly sure which fan it is as air is rushing out from all sorts of places. Could it be the power supply? Back when it first started, I wondered if it was the video card, but I went from a GF 2MX to a GF4 and the problem did not go away.

So...I am wondering if any of you might have a clue as to what is going on and what I can do about it. One thing...the computer is absolutely filled with dust.

Thanks for your help/ideas.

My old computer had a problem where I was hearing a strange whining sound I thought it was the HD dieing on me. Eventually I got curious opened the case and turned it on, I tracked the noise down to the Proccesor heatsink. If I pressed it down while its spinning noise is gone but if i let go its like a jet again,Im to lazy to repair or replace the fan but now I know what the problem is. I would just open the case lose your static by touching a grounded object and check the fans one at a time.

Edit: There are also some program out there that can monitor your fan RPM or the Bios usualy have some fan options.

What kind of fuel does your comp run on?  I've found that diesel is unrefined and can lead to a lot of noises.  My old pc did the same thing, but I bought a new one a few years ago and now I run electricity.  You can also check the mouse wheel for balance - if it's not tuned up then it can lead to a lot of problems :s

blues.gif

You nailed it CCGR. After 2 years or so of this horrible noise, I finally opened my case yesterday to get rid of dust and stuff. I noticed the CPU fan was absolutely caked with thick dust. I got rid of it all. Closed up the case and now I can once again play my games in silence. It's sort of weird not having the jet sound anymore, but it sure is nice!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bowser @ April 01 2004,6:09)]What kind of fuel does your comp run on? I've found that diesel is unrefined and can lead to a lot of noises. My old pc did the same thing, but I bought a new one a few years ago and now I run electricity. You can also check the mouse wheel for balance - if it's not tuned up then it can lead to a lot of problems :s

blues.gif
blues.gif

Back