My Church and Katrina's Aftermath

RuluSmoo

I'm a gamer from Donaldsonville, Louisiana and we were one of the towns that Katrina rolled over. Katrina headed east, just before hitting D'Ville, so we weren't hit as bad and we are pretty much built on a huge hill. Half of our town just got our utilities working again, but we have thousands of survivors pouring into our city and the other surrounding areas. They have no where to go and martial law has been declared for some of these areas, because of all the crime that has been caused because of this. People have lost hope.

My church doesn't have a lot of money, Donaldsonville is a poor city as it is, but we want to help out some of these families that are camping out in our streets. Some of us have taken them into our homes, that still have homes, but there are so many people and no place to put them. I would like to request prayer for the First Baptist Church Donaldsonville, Louisiana. That we can take in more families then we thought would be possible, have room for them, and be able to take care of them without going into debt.

Thank You,
Rulu

Praise Report

Today we found out that the First Baptist Association wouldn't be able to help us financially, because all their donations are going straight to New Orleans. We can't get help from Red Cross or FEMA, because they are putting limits and restrictions on what we can or can not do. This began to stress on some of us, but we decided to just trust that God would provide. So we started setting up the rooms in our church as apartments. These apartments would be used to house some of the New Orleans families that are here in D'Ville.

From what I know we are ok on food. There's an overflow on food being delivered to another shelter, so they are giving us fully prepared meals for free. We have all the mattresses, mats, cots, and air mattresses that we might need. We have all kinds of blankets, sleeping bags, and pillows. After our local Christian Radio Station broadcasted a plea for our church, people started to come from all over to help and donate. People have donated so many things like soap, baby formula, towels, and other everyday items that are commonly overlooked, but highly needed. One of our members contacted his brother in another state and their church will be taking offerings to help our church fund our endeavor. We fixed up a play area for kids and someone even hooked up an Xbox for people to be able to play games and watch DVDs on.

We'll continue getting things set up Saturday and Sunday. I think we will have the families move in on Monday. This is answered prayer, but this is only the beginning. Thank you!

~Rulu~

RuluSmoo, how are things going now? I know there will probably be alot of people staying in that small city for that is what everyone is doing waiting on the outer edge of NO waiting impatiently for it to reopen unless they were kicked out of NO and sent to TX on a buss. I hope your church is doing well and i know how Katrina is (i live in Plaquemines Parish. But luckly in Belle Chasse so the house is alright ^^

The church is doing ok, but we're all working really hard to keep things going smoothly. Something new always manages to come up, but God constantly provides a way for us to handle it. This had made all of us beyond busy, but we're doing ok. We've had families come in and then they finally make contact with relatives and they pick them up to take them to their new or temporary home. When we have one family leave, we get another one the next morning. Because of this, we've been able to reach out to more families then we thought we ever could have. Every one of the people we have helped have been so thankful for our church.

Donaldsonville has turned into an actual city, as far as how many people are here now. The streets, that had a car go by every once in a while, are now in heavy traffic. We have the only WallMart that's open in our surrounding area and it's the only place you can shop at, since WinnDixie shut it's doors. The supply trucks come everyday, but before the day is over, all the affordable food is sold out. Even toilet paper and plastic silverware get sold out on the day they arrive. There's just so many people here, now, and Donaldsonville just isn't equipped for it.

~Rulu~

Last edited:
Things have really cooled down around here. FEMA is on stage 3 of their rescue plan, which is to relocate refugees. Life is starting to go back to normal and many people are able to return to their homes. Slidell and most of New Orleans have electricity again, but they're still cleaning up the areas. FEMA also bought 100 acres of land, for trailer parks, in Donaldsonville. We just had a Pay Less food store open and we will soon have a Walgreens opening.

St. Bernard Parish and some of Plaquemine Parish are still under water; they will need your prayers. Thank you so much for praying, because It has certainly helped. You can really see God working around here and it's amazing.

~Rulu~

People are being relocated and some have returned home. We only have a couple of families left now, but we're housing a bunch of Red Cross workers and some people from State Farm Insurance. Thank you so much for all the prayers! I hope to play with some of you in WoW, on Terenas, after my gaming computer is fixed.

~Rulu~

Back