my account was just hacked

Tsawdak

i was playing and my account was hijacked. i am working on it. please if you see my characters somehow notify staff online. i have some emails going now. :confused:

Last time I saw your character on was when I handed you those staff upgrades. I'll keep an eye open when I am on tonight.

I had my account hacked in EQ, but the person didn't change the password before I found out and I changed the password so they couldn't access my characters again. He had already taken every droppable item of value though. He was caught and banned from the game (after a couple months of investigation and my warning everyone not to associate with him).

i am guessing by now all my original characters are renamed. so look for "new" names in the guild list. maybe they didn't even leave the guild. to be honest, i don't expect to get this situation resolved. i figure my account is lost forever and they won't give me another.

Tsawdak said:
other than GWCalculator and The Edge nothing.
These wern't ingame were they?... I've heard of people making ingame software that gives access to your account name and password.

no. one was a popular program that allows you to mock up a character and their skills. to plan a character. the edge helps you to pit one character vs another to see how well it would do. i just hope i get my account back. i've read around and others have gotten their accounts hacked in the same way. i downloaded them from popular fansites. elite fansites.

Man, that stinks :(

Were you using a password that would have been easy to guess/brute force? A single word or something like that.. If so, they may have grabbed your email from somewhere and just tried a brute-force attack to get in. I'm not sure if GW has any sort of account lockout/delay for failed password attempts.

Also, just a friendly reminder to everyone to *not* use simple passwords :) put some numbers and symbols in, and mix up the caps a bit. Good advice for any password you use anywhere.

I'll keep my eye out for your chars, gl with getting the account back, or at least getting a new account.

i just sent them my email and cd key that was tied to my account. this was all done thru their support site which is legit. i pray that i can get the account back. i also have my reciept and stuff. now to find the key logger or whatever. i discovered there are some key loggers in the 3rd party stuff. i am going to make my own python based attribute program. that way everyone can inspect the source code.

They now have a warning about those type of programs at log in... a little too late for many though.

I looked at the guild list, and your Professor is listed as last logged on 23 hours ago as of now. So this person may have done as you said and deleted all your characters and could have quick logged in quick and quit the guild perhaps. Wish the guild information would list people who quit as well as those invited/kicked. Then we would have one of the new names if that is the case. Either way... Arena Net could close down that account until further notice while they investigate the matter. But with all the hijacking that has gone on, they would have their hands full for quite some time just looking into all of the reported cases. Sorry it looks so bleak.... :(

if the person left the guild none of his characters names would show up in the guildmembers list

good news. they have asked me to fax a copy of my reciept and the CD key to them. i figure my account will be plundered and that i'll probably have no characters, but i will be able to play again and rebuild them better.

Back