Mouse issues

Flamethrøwer

(We should get a Tech Help forum! If there is one, sorry if I missed it)

Was wondering if anyone had some insight to this issue:

I've had this Logitech G500 mouse for over a year, working on the same surface this entire time (finished wood desk - no pad or anything). It has worked without flaw since I bought it, up to and including last night.

This morning, I turn on the computer, and the mouse movement feels weird, catching/skipping at times, and refusing to move in a certain direction other times. I have corrected the issue by putting it on a notebook rather than the wood surface, and once again it works perfectly.

My question is - why would my wood desk surface suddenly be a problem overnight? I have not changed anything about my setup, hardware, software, or settings on my computer recently. I really don't want to have to put my mouse on something to use it; I like the freedom of just using my desktop...

Mine does that, but its usually because there's a few tons of cat hair where the laser used to be.

Wipe/blow all the dust and stuff out of there and it should work fine. Logitech builds stellar mice - I doubt anything is wrong with it... especially if its only a year old.

Is the wood surface a lil banged up from using the mouse over and over on it? Thats what mine would do.. Surface would be different colors.. ie: finished surface vs where the finishing has kind of rubbed off.

Is the wood surface a lil banged up from using the mouse over and over on it? Thats what mine would do.. Surface would be different colors.. ie: finished surface vs where the finishing has kind of rubbed off.

Upon closer inspection, the grain of the wood is becoming worn and getting some grooves in it from use over the years. I'm going to refinish the surface anyway (it's a nice rolltop worth keeping), so we'll see if that's the issue. It if that is the issue, it's crazy that literally overnight, the wood desktop suddenly isn't sufficient. You'd think it would be a gradual thing. I've put down a vinyl mat-type thingy (I don't think I actually own a mouse pad), and the mouse is working fantasticly once again, so that's good news that it doesn't appear to be the mouse. I've never had an issue with any Logitech product before, and am glad to see this one is continuing that trend!

Upon closer inspection, the grain of the wood is becoming worn and getting some grooves in it from use over the years. I'm going to refinish the surface anyway (it's a nice rolltop worth keeping), so we'll see if that's the issue. It if that is the issue, it's crazy that literally overnight, the wood desktop suddenly isn't sufficient. You'd think it would be a gradual thing. I've put down a vinyl mat-type thingy (I don't think I actually own a mouse pad), and the mouse is working fantasticly once again, so that's good news that it doesn't appear to be the mouse. I've never had an issue with any Logitech product before, and am glad to see this one is continuing that trend!

To be honest, I doubt overnight your desk would be insufficient. While I too have had good logitech products in the past, I finally settled for a Razer Naga, and honestly I don't know how I dealt with others. It may seem a bit much to pay for a mouse (Mine was $75.00 when they first hit), but its really worth it, I mean cmon you get a mouse with 17 buttons on it. Think of the keybinding possibilities! Also that and it flows very well with the Razer Nostromo, which again makes gaming all that much more fun.

If you're going to refinish the wood, try not to make it too glossy, or you could have the same problem again. I think it creates reflections or something that messes with the laser.

Back