Modern Warfare 2 (PS3 Redux)

PSSSH. I enjoy my free wireless connection, big HDD, and free online. But thanks. :p

yeah but 360 MW2 = Ewok, Unfetered, Dredd, Elihu, and many many more!

Also 360 has 8 person private chat and $39 for a year of online is pretty insignificant really...

Last edited:
yeah but 360 MW2 = Ewok, Unfetered, Dredd, Elihu, and many many more!

Also 360 has 8 person private chat and $39 for a year of online is pretty insignificant really...

Right... But it drives up the total cost of ownership. Add in RROD, the 360 can't play blueray, and it doesn't have scratch resistant disks as required by the Blue Ray spec. ...And 8 person chat isn't really something to brag about.

I think you missed the point VK.
I am talking to someone who already owns both systems. I am simply pointing out why he should buy for his 360 and not his PS3. Things like RROD, BluRay and scratches don't really come into play. 8 person friend chat is actually very cool as I would much rather just talk with my friends as we play together, not with every kid on the internet in my current match. It IS worth bragging about in regards to 360 vs PS3 MW2 play.

Of course the big reason was that some of his friends own the 360 version, the rest was just an "also" list of reasons.

Last edited:
I. Can't. Decide. ...BLAAARGH! >=|

/goes out and buys an N-Gage

No matter what the platform, I'm enjoying the multiplayer TONS more than the first game. More balanced and less spammy (for the most part). Single player... doesn't really get me stoked like the first game. It's feels like a paint by numbers deal there. Haven't tried spec ops either though.

And my 360 that I have RROD'd twice, is my second 360 system from Gamestop, and it chewed up my Gears of War 2 disc after 3 minutes of play when the DVD drive decided to crap out on me. ;P

I. Can't. Decide. ...BLAAARGH! >=|

I feel you on this one!! I have both now, as of last month. And I really wanted to check out the party system of LIVE and see what things are like on the other side of popular console gaming. And well... I don't really see this private friend chat thing as a feature so much as a mesh of settings. The game disables party chat in most online play modes, which is disappointing. And I had some friends on the PSN side that I would have liked to play the game with. So I guess I could have gone either way.

...But I like the PS3 system better I'm beginning to feel...

The game cuts you from party chat but dumps you into game chat. If you have your settings meshed then it is smooth and works just the same (only chatting with friends). The only inconvenience is that you have to log off live to set it back. Would be nice if it was a game-feature not a work-around; I agree its disappointing but at least it works.

Too bad the consoles cant be cross playable, would be neat to have both audiences playing together as an option.

I hear that the PS3 servers are a 3rd party that Sony rents from where as MS owns and manages their own Live servers. This caused quite a bit of issues recently when the PS3 servers maxed out due to MW2.

I know that I am ranked over 3.5 million on the 360, I wonder how many are on the PS3. I think I read, 360 is selling 2:1 over PS3 and 16:1 over PC.

Last edited:
Too bad the consoles cant be cross playable, would be neat to have both audiences playing together as an option.

This is mostly do to PSN vs Live. If the publisher were to forgo either tech then it is possible. The XBox and PS3 use the same architecture (PPC) so it isn't that hard. The few games that I have played that used their own system (Metal Gear Online and the battlefield demo, 1943?) it was a PITA as it wants you to use a 3rd party login and you can't add people as friends easily.

--

IIRC Live doesn't host game servers. So all games are hosted on player consoles except where the publisher provides their own. Some of the PSN exclusives get dedicated servers (Technically sony is the publisher here, so same thing).

I've had no problems finding servers. Had about 3 bad hosts so far but it migrated within 3 minutes. :) And Zazzy, you can rent the 360 version first, check out the party talk.

RIOT SHIELD ROCKS MY SOCKS - have 5 guys shooting at you while you soak up all the damage and capture a flag AND level up from it. It's a lot of fun. I would suggest riot shield at the start of your multiplayer life, you grab 60, 30, 60, 90, 60, 60, exp so quickly, more than shooting dudes for your normal 50. Throw in 200 or so for a knife kill. :p

A very fun combo is Riot Shield + (Akimbo Magnum for me) + Marathon + Cold-Blooded + Steady Aim + Stun Grenades + Throwing Knife. Main thing here is charge a dude, crouch to protect yourself about 10 feet out. When they get done wasting their bullets, they'll reload, which is a good time to instant kill with the knife. OR, double melee them with a shield. I've lol'd a few times taking down 3 guys in an alley solo, or blocking a door way and taking shots from half a team for 2 friendly snipers behind me. Give it a try sometime. :)

Last edited:
I've had no problems finding servers. Had about 3 bad hosts so far but it migrated within 3 minutes. :) And Zazzy, you can rent the 360 version first, check out the party talk.

RIOT SHIELD ROCKS MY SOCKS - have 5 guys shooting at you while you soak up all the damage and capture a flag AND level up from it. It's a lot of fun. I would suggest riot shield at the start of your multiplayer life, you grab 60, 30, 60, 90, 60, 60, exp so quickly, more than shooting dudes for your normal 50. Throw in 200 or so for a knife kill. :p

A very fun combo is Riot Shield + (Akimbo Magnum for me) + Marathon + Cold-Blooded + Steady Aim + Stun Grenades + Throwing Knife. Main thing here is charge a dude, crouch to protect yourself about 10 feet out. When they get done wasting their bullets, they'll reload, which is a good time to instant kill with the knife. OR, double melee them with a shield. I've lol'd a few times taking down 3 guys in an alley solo, or blocking a door way and taking shots from half a team for 2 friendly snipers behind me. Give it a try sometime. :)

That riot shield must be made out of some uber material. An impact by a bullet is nothing to laugh at. At the very least you would be knocked off your feet if someone unloaded on you at point blank. Not to mention your wrist, which would probably be bruised and your fingers bloody.

Been playing more, about 32 now. The LSW (?) is a very very very mean LMG. Kills dude quickly. :x

if i may chime in a little late on the whole 360 vs. ps3 thing, it has been my experience on ps3 that no one talks. you can sometimes get one or two people to talk back to you, but it is overall a mute multiplayer experience. even warhawk, which came with a bluetooth headset, produced nearly nonexistent chatter. i have both the 60g ps3 and MW2 elite 360 but my multiplayer games usually go in the 360. i have a more established friends list there and people talk to you. my ps3 is pretty much for console specific titles like MGS4, Killzone 2, and resistance 2. thats all i have to say about that.

I've had quite the opposite expierance with the PS3, I feel they talk to much, and for the most part i mute everyone. heh. The west coast is a chatty group i suppose.

i have also found that i never seem to have more than 2 or 3 friends online on my ps3 and they are usually not playing a game that i have. i guess thats not as bad as having 15 friends online on xbox live and 11 of them are watching netflix.

I actually sent out my MW2 copy on Goozex. Level 30'ish is enough. :p

I did enjoy the multiplayer A LOT more, but it was a fun ride. :)

Back