Modern Warfare 2 free weekend on Steam

Would love to show you guys my Riot Shield skills. xDDDD

played some last night. 80% are level 70 or more players. can't live in all that bombing and airplane fire. I guess they are letting retail players in on the servers too instead of just newly joined steam players.

played some last night. 80% are level 70 or more players. can't live in all that bombing and airplane fire. I guess they are letting retail players in on the servers too instead of just newly joined steam players.

Ah at least I don't have to feel so guilty about losing so much then >.< .

I shall put a short opinion here...

1. No dedicated server is a nightmare. I must have gotten 3 or 4 different reoccurring error/disconnect messages. Trying to play with a friend makes it worse too. Also while most of the maps are good I can see them getting stale fairly quick without more of them, I.E. customs. Then there is the balance issue of the aforementioned level 70 players I've seen get ~30/3 kills to deaths T_T .

2. Don't complain about spawn camping or frontstabs in TF2 if you like this game, it is far worse here. Getting camped with helicopters is not fun btw (Out of all the maps I would only call one bad "Rust". It is really small with no cover so you always camped on it >.< ). As far as frontstabs when you shoot someone I wish it at least slowed them down. All to frequently I hit my target only to have it run though the bullets and facestab me.

3. AC 130 is overpowered. You don't need a nuke to win once you use this thing becuase your lead will be extreme. I have also seen at least 3 if not 4 nukes in one day of play.

4. Hackers. Although not as prevalent as people in game seem to think they are they do exist. Once someone toggled super jumping/ running on everyone and I'm pretty sure I saw at least one aimbotter. Though I think many new players are calling a hack incorrectly on Bullet penetration (you can shoot though walls in this game right?).

On a side note sometimes I've unloaded a few bullets only to have it not show on the killcam so I don't know what is up with that.

Other than that the game is actually good and could have easily been much better (though not TF2 good :D ). It's got good graphics even on DX9, mostly good maps, the weapons seem fairly balanced (though I haven't tried them all and akimbo seems op), gameplay is fast and has room for teamwork/tactics. Mainly it's just marred by a horrible, horrible matchmaking system which makes whole thing bad. Also my experience may be colored by playing on the free weekend with some newbies, like me XD , giving out many killstreaks by their deaths.

Last edited:
Though I think many new players are calling a hack incorrectly on Bullet penetration (you can shoot though walls in this game right?).
That is correct. Thin walls, like wooden walls, allow bullet penetration with most guns. That has been there since Call of Duty 4.

Sounds like Bad Company 2 will address most of your concerns here... just sayin'.

Sounds like Bad Company 2 will address most of your concerns here... just sayin'.

:p It probably would. In fact my MW2 exp has sold me more on BC2 than MW2 itself :p .

The thing about me getting another game is I'm trying (endlessly) to be more responsible and another game would only distract me from that. Of course if I am going to lay around watching anime, surfing the net or playing TF2 in place of doing work anyway avoiding another game is pointless XD . The free trial of MW2 was safe for me becuase I know no matter what it's going to be over after this weekend and offer no more distraction.

Last edited:
I just got to tell you guys about a fun match on MW2 yesterday. The Matchmaking system started a game (some guys left) and put me alone against 4 players (later 5 one joined). In this situation there was no rush for me to earn points so I could bide my time and um play like a TF2 spy :D (my perks were set for stealth). It was like it was a Rambo movie setting up different ways to kill them :D . I made 5 kills before they got me once and then other players joined my team which made it so I had to push and therefore lose :( .

MW 2 is Fun but it is a Different game compared to BC 2, at first I thought MW 2 was fantastic until all the Cheaters using Aimbots and wall hacks and or Rank Hacks appeared in the games, overall the maps are large compared to CoD MW and is a fun game but at this stage I would definitely reccomend Battlefield Bad Company 2 as it delivers a much more realistic "Feel" in every aspect, the Maps are off the charts Huge and in every way BreathTaking, especially the detail in the Background. The Destructable enviroment is wild [ I Love Driving a T- 0- into a Building and watching it crumble after I pull out], while not New to the gaming industry it is a First using a Brand New Gamie Engine for the PC [ FrostBite ] which if Successful [and it is] may be [most likely will] the Engine for BF 3, a Highly awaited game for Battlefield Fans :D

I've only played Modern Warfare 2 on my xbox 360, but from what I've heard the game plays much better on that system than it does on the PC. That being said, I haven't played it for awhile. I got Borderlands and spent some hours hacking away on that, but lately I've been spending a bit more time painting some of my miniatures. Too many hobbies and not enough time, lol!

The Akimbo setup can be quite powerful, but is only really good if you're up close, so naturally it works better for some maps than others; many better players seem to know where you are going to be and shoot you before you get that close. And no, not necessarily from using Heartbeat Sensor or anything, they just know where people tend to be. If aircraft are causing problems, you just need to set up the 'stealthy' perks like Ninja and Cold-Blooded and make them pay for depending on their cheesy aircraft to win for them. Toss in a Stinger launcher or something and you can pile on the points pretty quickly by shooting down all their aircraft, including the UAVs. :) Yes, it is even possible to shoot down an AC130 - I've done it! I'm a big fan of the Scavenger perk so I can easily find ammo to reload my launchers and always have another claymore to deploy, hehehe.

Back