Mobile Authenticator Advice

Laess

So, if you ever have issues with your phone and have a mobile authenticator on it, don't let them reset your phone until you remove the mobile authenticator from your acct through the battle.net acct services page. This also applies to getting a new phone.

When you reinstall the app and then try to log in, it has a new serial# which you have to add to your acct, to do this you need to log into battle.net, which in turn requires you to use your authenticator, which in turn uses the authenticator with the old serial#, which you kinda forgot and didn't remove from your battle.net acct, but the app was removed from your phone you and you no longer have it, which led to the downloading of the new authenticator app ... oh look! We are back at the beginning!

If they do reset it and you haven't removed it, the result is you are locked out until Blizzard removes the authenticator from your acct. This involves webforms, emails and photo identification to be submitted.

So what is the lesson in all this? Get a phone that won't break. :)

Samsung Fascinate (Android). Apparently there was some software issue where when I placed a call, about half the time the person on the other end couldn't hear me. If they called me however, it was fine. Rather than troubleshoot the software issue too much, other than a reset, they are replacing the phone.

Aaah, sounds like a software glitch. I wonder if they're reclaiming your phone so they can do more extensive testing?

and for those wondering, I posted the form to remove the authenticator last night about an hour before the Blizz office closed and it was removed by 9am est today. Pretty quick turnaround.

Another bonus to the iPhone.. all my apps are backed up on itunes. I could get a brand new iphone tomorrow and it would mirror the iphone I have today..

It actually stated in the app (at least in the iPhone version) to disconnect the authenticator if you're doing something to your phone. It's in the Setup menu.

Oh, all my apps were backed up to my acct but all that does is when you restore, it re-downloads the new versions and installs. A new download of the mobile authenticator will still give you a new serial number which will still lock your acct. All my apps I downloaded through the Android Marketplace reinstalled from my acct without any issues.

And yes, it stats it is the Android version as well to disconnect, I think I remember seeing that, but when the phone isn't working and you are running around trying to get things done, Blizzard and WoW weren't high on my list of things to remember.

Oh well, works fine now, so no big deal.

Hmm all I had to do was phone in..use my dumb blonde canadian voice and voila reset.

I had bought the authenticator and when i moved I lost it, I called in and they removed the old one and then I stated I would add one to my phone and he offered to set it up if I downloaded it now so the account was protected which I did right then, thought that was pretty good customer service :)

Oh and I think it was an easy switch for them because then ask your security question.... which i set 6 years ago... and I remembered the answear thankfully hehe :)

Back