Mission Preparedness

Lloren

Christian Gamers Alliance Forums Administrator
What does someone (according to scriptures) need to do to prepare to go into missions?

Is school / seminary or study required?

What does God say?

What does someone (according to scriptures) need to do to prepare to go into missions?

Is school / seminary or study required?

What does God say?

Study is required. The first missionaries were all taught by Jesus. Jesus' last commandment was a teaching command (Matthew 28:19) The theme of the life of Paul was that he was a teacher, he and Barnabas would teach about the Kingdom and the Holy Spirit. The New Testament letters theme around being instructive and teaching to their audience. Teaching and being taught are, imo, definite themes throughout the bible, not just the New Testament.

Let's agree that salvation is a requirement. I'd say when salvation is truly received we are humbled by God through His grace and continually humbled by His sanctifying work in our lives. Since His work gently (often with firm tones) instructs us through the Holy Spirit

1st John 2:26 I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. 27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

So it seems according to the Word that God himself instructs us through the Holy Spirit and Scripture. The question is "how much study"? And what kind?

Study is required. - Avesther

Can you expound on the amount of study and type of study and Biblical backup for it? Thank you in advance.

Well I know that our home church could not support my wife and I as missionaries because the mission we were serving with did not have a disaster relief account set up, nor any retirement savings. So apparently a solid corporate America minded business plan is required.

Wow- I am very interested in this thread.

I also disagree with Avesther. I do not believe any formal teaching training is required. I don't think he is wrong about the need for teaching. But, I have seen God use many men and women who have never been formally trained.

@Ewoks- ouch dude.

For me the most important "requirement" is a call from God on the person's life. This call must be confirmed by others. God calls out those He will use. Other believers can recognize this quality.

Back