Minigun vs. Natascha

exodus

Just before the update I got enough achievements to unlock Natascha.

After playing several rounds with it, I have a couple observations that I wanted to verify with the rest of you.

I usually don't have any problem killing people with the mini-gun, even at medium or long range. When I switch over to Natascha, it seems like I get kills MUCH less. I'm aware that there is a trade-off of 25% damage for the slow effect, but it seems like enemies medium range or futher away can easily evade/retreat from Natascha, even with the slow effect on them.

With both guns, I tend to slightly lead people (put my crosshair just in front of their avatar in the direction they are heading). Should I be doing something different? Perhaps aiming right at them or maybe leading them further out?

Either I'm doing something wrong (highly probable) or Natascha is just a situational gun at best.

You're right in that Natasha is situational. Heavy playing defense near a sentry gun and dispenser? Your Engi will love you if you use Natasha. If you're moving with your team on a CP like map, use Natasha to slow down the enemy so your soldiers/demomen/pyros can rack up the kills. If you're playing defense on a CTF map, use Natasha to slow down that pesky scout long enough that someone else can finish him off before he escapes with your intel.

When you have a medic on you or just on offense, I would say going Sasha, can help the team out a lot more as Natascha has a very hard time at taking down sentries. Now if there's another heavy, you can help him out by slowing down his target. It is great for slowing down W+M1 pyros (that just charge you spraying the flames only), scouts, and detecting spies. It's one of my least favorite unlocks for sure. :/

And most weapons are hit-scan, so there's no real need to lead (unless playing as Demo/Soldier/Pyro) since those are not really bullet weapons.

Last edited:
Yes, the minigun is hit-scan, but there is a spread to the bullets that widens the further you get from the gun itself. Also, leading your target may help a bit depending on your ping times to the server.

Of all the new unlockables in TF2, I say only about six of them are worthwhile sidegrades:

Blutslauger, Ambassador, Cloak and Dagger, KGB, Axetinguisher, & Ubersaw.

I suppose Backburner, Flare Gun, Jarate, and Bonk! Can be useful, but they're often too situational and the alternate options are much better. I will never sacrifice my Pyro's Shotgun for a Flare Gun.

As for others I find them useless, especially the FAN and Huntsman.

Of all the new unlockables in TF2, I say only about six of them are worthwhile sidegrades:

Blutslauger, Ambassador, Cloak and Dagger, KGB, Axetinguisher, & Ubersaw.

I suppose Backburner, Flare Gun, Jarate, and Bonk! Can be useful, but they're often too situational and the alternate options are much better. I will never sacrifice my Pyro's Shotgun for a Flare Gun.

As for others I find them useless, especially the FAN and Huntsman.

Jarate is nice as a sniper as you can extinguish yourself and teammates. Considering the snipers pitiful amount of health that can be the difference between life and death.

I like the flare gun for killing or softening up heavies. Setting them on fire often makes them do irrational things and if all else fails you can just wait them out while they turn extra crispy.

The FAN is exceptional (or it was, I haven't played much recently) at hit and run. Pump 2 rounds and retreat for a half second for it to reload. Sure the scattergun has more ammo, but the huge reload time means you need to fall back on the pistol a lot more. On some maps you could rack up kills by simply running around shooting people then dodging away.

True it means that you need to fall back on the pistol more, but the thing is that at medum to long distances, the pistol tends to do better in terms of DPS. As such, the Scout's Pistol is a vital weapon that in my opinion should never be replaced. The same applies to any class' shotgun.

Back