Mentor Info.

rizz

Hiya, the main thing with the mentorship scheme is of course to enhance the persons relationship with God. The way we can do this is to structure their daily time with God and help them to get into a routine where they meet with God daily. I decided i would write down a few things that you could use.. Dont take this as gospel though and if you have any info of your own please write it down.

1. The main aim in a time with God is to get away from everything and have a place and time where it is just you and God. This should be a daily thing and the important point is to prioritise it so that it doenst get rescheduled all the time.

2. There are 3 main aspects to your time with God.
    - Praying
    - Reading
    - Listening

Heres a each in detail..

Prayer. This is obviously you talking to God. It helps to keep a list of prayer requests and such so that you can sit down and pray over each thing without forgetting anything. Prayer usually has a structure as such...

A - Adoration - Praise God for who hes/the day etc..
C - Confession - Come before God with your actions of the past day
T - Thanksgiving - Thank God for his provision and grace for the day etc.
S - Supplication - Ask God for the things you need and cover the ppl on your prayer list.

This is not strict but it is a good way to get a n00b prayer to structure him/herself until they can just come into God presence easily.

Reading - Always after prayer. If you believe in tongues then you should always pray in tongues before reading. It opens up the words to let the Holy Spirit work them into your heart.
I suggest you get them on a bible-in-a-year plan or at least suggest they read a good 3-4 chapters daily in their quiet time.

Listening - This is always a toughie. In todays world of impatience its hard for our generation to "be bored" in front of god. What i generally do is set 5 minutes where i just lay still in Gods presence and let him work in my heart. This is a true test of faith as your mind always wonders. You have to believe He is doing stuff when you are just laid there.
Often God will speak through his word but he can also put things into your head in this time.. if you think on good things here it usually is god showing you stuff.

Ok i think thats as much as i can think of right now. As i said this isnt a guidline, just some things i do to help anyone who needs it. If you have any good ideas from your time with God then please post them.

I whole heartedly agree with what you said Rizz. This is one place I am struggling myself is with my prayer time

A good book that my Bible study group is doing right now is "To busy not to pray" by Bill Hybles. The A.C.T.S. thing is in there, and I recommend the book to anyone who needs help with there prayer life or just want to understand how to communicate with God better.

Glad to see this Mentor thing get kicked off and into gear. Great job Rizz on getting this going

Cory

Just my little addition.

I can't overemphasize the importance of daily Bible reading. That and prayer are absolutely vital to our relationship with Christ. And, let's face it...if we're not maintaining our own walks with Christ, we will not be in a RIGHT position to counsel any other person under the sun (or over it, for that matter).

If possible we should try and get them on a daily reading plan. ToJ/CGA has one setup in this forum. But i dont know much about it as i use my own.

I think we should recommend this though as much as possible.

I actually use a weekly reading plan...that includes stuff from the Pentateuch, the "other writings" like the psalms and prophets, and the NT. Then there questions that go along with it. It's a great way to do more than just read outta obligation. If any is interested, I'd be willing to post the weekly stuff...

Give a shout if ya wanna.

Back