Mentor Guidelines

rizz

Hiya guys.. We have had a lot of response with this so far.. here are a few things to regard in general behaviour as mentors. Though im sure its all pretty basic.

1. Please be as active as you can in forums. Its running pretty smoothly at the moment but the emphasis is on us to keep it active.
2. Please make a point of checking the forums every day or as much as you can to ensure you have all the latest prayer requests. Make a point of praying for them in your quiet time.
3. If anyone asks to be mentored please notify me. I dont need to be notified if someone just wants a chat etc... (as i have heard is happening a bit). We should be available in any capacity without having to get them to sign up to the scheme.
4. With your mentoree (?) you can pretty much handle it how you like. Myself and LoJ are currently starting out with Deamiter and i am wondering how to tackle this. The first point is to get them to email you their testimony. This is crucial.
5. When talking with your mentoree feel free to use any medium you have. email/messenger/phone/teamspeak. The only thing i can say about talking to them is you have to let them do most of the talking. We often know how to get them out of whatever they are in but they have to get out of it not us. We are there as a guide but it is their walk with God.
6. Any problems at all you should contact me. Should you come across a situation where the police need to be involved etc..well i dunno what we are going to do then but im thinking back to my crosswalk days.

Maybe stormy can remember the procedures...lol

About involving outside authorities....

This is often a hard thing to deal with via the internet.

At CW, we had the benefit of having an IP trace available to the super admins. I'm sure some of you hackers can do that. Unfortunately, without permission, it's kinda illegal. But anyway, this was how it worked.

1. You're counseling a person, and discover that they're in IMMINENT danger. Imminent danger is threat of suicide (this is NEVER ignored), someone is coming after someone, you get the idea.

2. You call in the IP police. If the person is on a dialup server, that often means going through their ISP to find their location. Location gets found.

3. The local authorities are called. ie. police, fire, ambulance, etc. Or......the person's parents.

The procedure did one of two things. It either put a person that was at real risk out of harm's way for a while, so that reason could be restored in whatever way..

Or, it taught a little kid that crying wolf is a really bad idea.

I don't know if such a procedure is possible here, but that's how it worked.

I have access to anyone Ip who posts in forums but i dont know anything about tracing..

It may be something we should look into on the long term.

Back