Mega Man 9 release today (Sept. 22, 2008)

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Mega Man 9 (CAPCOM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Cartoon Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): Mega Man fans, the wait is over! The classic Blue Bomber that debuted in 1987 is back with the ninth installment in the classic series. It's a new adventure for Mega Man done in an 8-bit style-graphics, music and gameplay are all like you remember them.
Source: Wii-kly Update: Two WiiWare Games and Two Virtual Console Games Added to Wii Shop Channel

Will Mega Man 9 prove the flagship game of the Retro Renaissance?

I'll probably be getting it on thursday once it's released on PSN. Proto Man will be available as DLC the week of October 6th :D

Edit: Also, Vectorman is available today :D

I bought Mega Man 9 last night.

I tried out all 8 beginning stages.

I was only able to clear one.

This game is hard. I mean, old-school NES hard--more because of the infrequency and poor placement of checkpoints than because of level design.

Capcom needs to learn that there's a thin line between making the player work to beat the level (and thus feel a sense of accomplishment afterward) and punishing the player too harshly for even the most minor error. The Mega Man 9 developers have been branded as masochists and for good reason.

For example: One level (I forget which) requires you to beat three mini-bosses in a row to reach even the first checkpoint. Die at any point, fighting any of the three mini-bosses, and you're sent back to the start of the level. That's not ramping up the difficulty. That's poor game design.

(Unfortunately, Capcom made the same mistake designing Zack & Wiki, which may help explain its poor sales.)

My advice to diehard Mega Man fans who decide to purchase this game despite (or because of) its sometimes ridiculous difficulty level: Start with the Galaxy Man stage. That's the one I was able to beat.

Still, its flaws aside, it does feel like stepping back in time to play a classic Mega Man title. If MM9 is financially successful, this could be the defining moment of the Retro Renaissance.

I have some Mega Man collection on my oXbox and all those games are hard to me now. I used to be able to burn through 1 2 and 3 but now I'm lucky to get through 2 or 3 levels. My wife is gonna throw my sixaxis through the wall this weekend probably.

This game is hard. I mean, old-school NES hard...

I have some Mega Man collection on my oXbox and all those games are hard to me now...

Mwahahahahahha the Gerbil re-played through the Mega Man collection (a.k.a. gaming bliss) on the PS 2 a year or so ago with ease! (why can't I be good at something useful >.<). Too bad I can't get Mega Man 9 T_T. Actually I think I am better at Mega Man now than as a kid (I remember the patterns >.<). I still remember other Nes games without saves/passwords, leaving the Nes on all night, being too nervous to fight a final boss and beating games on rentals, ah those were the days :D.

By the way why didn't they add the slide to Mega Man 9! Everyone knows that the Mega Man series hit it's stride with Mega Man 2! Going back to a slideless Mega Man is wrong, that's too far back.

Last edited:
They took the slide out so you would have a reason to purchase Proto Man when he is released as DLC.
Affirmative.

And I do plan on purchasing the Proto Man DLC, but no other DLC. I mean, a Superhero Mode that makes the game more difficult? Are you serious?

UPDATE: I've offed Galaxy Man, Jewel Man, Plug Man, and Tornado Man. Four down, four to go.

It's been a long time since I've cleared a level and cheered that loudly. Clearing two full games in the Katamari series is a cakewalk compared to clearing the Tornado Man level.

It's also been a long time since I've been that close to throwing my Wii Remote across the room.

Yes, this really is old school Mega Man.

I think Atown is also a Mega Man fan, as he had a Mega Man avatar.

It just seems odd you got Mega Man 9 on your Wii when you can get the whole Mega Man collection on a lesser console.

I like the game, just the X series, as it came with the dashes/hovers and mega blaster/Zero's sword.

I know a friend of mine, he is so good, he beaten the entire collection in less than a week, heh.

Mega Man 1 - 8 & X - X6.

I haven't even beaten the Mid-Boss to get to Sigma in Mega Man X.
Though, it was cool he got the fireball special from Street Fighter. :p

Mega Man's Hadouken Ryu's Fireball
Mega Man's Shoryuken Ken's Uppercut

Last edited:
It just seems odd you got Mega Man 9 on your Wii when you can get the whole Mega Man collection on a lesser console.
My brother-in-law has a copy of Megaman X Collection, so I may borrow that and play through it after I finish Mega Man 9.

In related news, I bumped off Magma Man and Hornet Man today. w00t!

Six down, two to go.

I BEAT MEGA MAN 9 LAST NIGHT!

/me cheers wildly

My wife was on the couch next to me when I took down the last boss and can confirm both the achievement and my state of excitement at the time of the accomplishment.

It took purchasing 5 energy tanks from the store before heading into the final set of levels, but I did it--with 1 energy tank left over.

I may set the game aside for a short while, but I'll likely return to it before long to play through the main 8 levels with all 8 boss weapons.

EDIT: Back to the main topic raised with the original post:
Will Mega Man 9 prove the flagship game of the Retro Renaissance?

I BEAT MEGA MAN 9 LAST NIGHT!
And the people rejoice! Wow Tek that was quick! GJ :)

Side Note: Speaking of retro gaming have you tried out Bionic Commando Reloaded Tek? I ask because I haven't tried it and also because it got a mature rating. Why did they make it mature that is just so wrong (on many levels since it's supposed to be retro). Even if the old game had that infamously questionable Hitler scene it was only the one tiny scene. I wonder what they put in the new one to mature it up :(.

Last edited:
And the people rejoice! Wow Tek that was quick! GJ :)
/bow

Thank you, thank you. It was no easy feat, I assure you.
Side Note: Speaking of retro gaming have you tried out Bionic Commando Reloaded Tek?
I haven't, but I looked up the title on the ESRB web site to get an idea why the game would be rated M. Here are the descriptors listed for Bionic Commando: Rearmed:
Blood and Gore, Language, Violence

Last edited:
I remember the good old days of playing Mega Man. I remember playing it with my old friend on the computer against these INSANE bosses. Oh man, what a cheap game.

I don't really know about a retro renaissance, but I for one am excited to see more and more 3d modeled 2d side scrollers coming about.

Edit: Does King of Fighters XII count as retro? It's all 2d, hand drawn :D

Oh, I see.

Just saw a MM9 on Youtube.
Too old!

Its like going back and playing Pac-Man or The Legend of Zelda, on the Wii! :eek:

I believe it would be "retro renaissance" if they had a KoF: Special Edition.

I'd go as far as the SNES, not the NES and earlier.

Nice job beating an old and normally, insane difficulty (due to limitations) game.

[edit]NOW I REMEMBER, PITFALL! I can't believe I had to play that on Marvel Ultimate Alliance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3jn2Q-pwbI

Last edited:
I'd prefer it better if they made a new megaman x, but i would love to get mm9. i have both the megaman and megaman x collections.

I have to say, Capcom makes some RLLY hard games. Anyone who played monster hunter knows what im talking about, monter hunter freedom 3 for the wii = impossible. with my top of the line gear i can get 1 shotted by weak mobs on monter hunter freedom2 if i mess up slightly. imagine "accidently" moving the wii remote out of the the sensor bar range :(, but i have to say having monster hunter online legitley would be epic.

Back