MechWarrior Online

Kendrik

Staff member
I believe the game is still technically in beta, but it's a public beta, so whatever. :p Free-to-play mech combat. My limited experience has been positive; the game felt like previous MechWarrior games in its more sim-like design. Personally, that's a very welcome direction for a mech game. I was not enthused about the prospect of "here's another action-FPS... with robots!"

Anyway, I digress. I doubt there will be enough interest to justify a chapter, but perhaps enough people are interested to form a five-warrior team?

Posting for interest check. :D

Website link goes here!

Played a bit of the game yesterday and today. I like it a lot. It feels really, really good. Reminds me of the old games in all the right ways: Turret control, heat management, clunkclunkclunk of blazing a trail across the field of battle. Plays well. Doesn't feel like pay-to-win. Sure, paying gets you some benefits, but skill in the hotseat and team coordination is what will get you the wins.

My biggest complaint at the moment is a lack of epicness that I like to see in my Battletech. The awesomeness of piloting hulking 'Mechs is present in full, but the game currently only offers two game modes (capture enemy base and multi-hill), and PUG competition seems to complain if you win by objectives rather than treating the game like team deathmatch. If "destroy multi-tiered bases" were a game mode, it would feel much, much better and offer some much-welcome variety.

But the core of the gameplay is still exciting and shines even in the limited play options. Give it a go! :D

I was in the closed beta, had lots of fun. Maybe its just me being bad at FPS's but I got bored quickly. Still have it in my quick launch, so I don't hate it that much :)

Back