Malygos.

Woven

So we can get him into his final phase. Now we just need to do better at making sure everyone is alive for the final stage, step up our dps and learn the phase 3 fight.

Strategy

In this phase, all players should try and stack their Engulf in Flame as high as possible by using Flame Spike to build 3-4 combo points (High stacks of this ability are the key to killing Malygos before he hits his Berserk timer) while also watching for when Malygos casts Surge of Power on them. When you see the message “Malygos focuses his energy on you”, you should immediately cast the Flame Shield (button 5) Follow the flame shield by refreshing your Engulf in Flame (button 2), then heal yourself (buttons 3 and 4) if needed.

Tips:

Put curse of elements on Malygos at the end of Phase 2 to increase all dragon damage by 10%!

Make sure to untarget and retarget Malygos after Phase 2 or else you won’t be able to use your shield!

Flame Spike - 10 Energy. This deals 1000 damage to Malygos and gives you one combo point on him.

Engulf in Flames - 50 Energy. This finisher puts a stacking fire DoT on Malygos. It lasts longer per combo point. Your goal is to use your combo points to stack this buff as high as possible as fast as you can for massive damage on Malygos.

Revivify - 10 Energy. This is a dragon Lifebloom, healing for 500 per second and giving you a healing combo point on your target. It lasts 10 seconds.

Life Burst - 50 Energy. This finisher heals your target and every drake near it for 2500+2500 per combo point, for a maximum of 15 000 healing done if you have 5 healing combo points. It also gives you a buff that increases your healing done by 50% for 5 seconds per combo point.

Flame Shield - 25 Energy. This is a finisher that burns your combo points on any target to give you a shield that reduces incoming damage by 80%. You use this ability when Malygos is about to cast Surge of Power on you to keep your drake from dying.

Blazing Speed - This is a “sprint” effect that lets your dragon move 500% faster to get out of Static Fields or back in range of your healers.

Last edited:
I think if we have 10 people that are alive when phase 3 starts that at least 3 of them should be designated AoE healers. Do the damage for the combo points and stack the AoE heals. Perhaps on a timer rotation..say, P1, P2, P3 all get 5 combo points asap and then P1 hits the heal and starts gaining the points again. P2 Counts to 5 and does the same thing. P3 counts to 10 after P1 fires off and hits the heal. Rinse and repeat. This will give each of them the 50% bonus throughout the duration of the fight and still allow for some base DPS from them.

Adjust accordingly if there are less than 10 players alive and for if shields are needed to be used by having alternates on stand by to pick up healing.

One thing to point out: In everything I've read, there is no actual difference between "damage combo points" and "healing combo points." However, changing targets resets the combo points, making it very unwise to switch between damaging Malygos and healing yourself.

For 10 man we want 1 healer, 2 at most or we'll never generate enough dps. The damage comes from stacking Engulf in Flames and not the Flame Spike. If you have Auto Self Cast enabled you don't have to change targets to stack 1 hot on yourself (note repeated pressing will not stack the hot without changing targets and healing yourself). The goal is something along the lines of 1,1,1,1,1,2,3 move for a sec 1,1,1,2,3 move 1,1,1,2,3 move etc. assuming you don't get targeted or caught in a static field you may not need the button 3 push. You need to make sure you always have 25 point available to spend so that you can shield yourself. People die for two reasons, not shielding themselves or sitting in the Static Field. If we all fly up to eye level and stay in a clump, always move left to stay out of the static fields the AOE healers burst will heal you for 15K, plus instead of 500 per tick you'll be healed for 750 per tick off your own revivify. Unless you get back to back attacked by Surge of Power. In that case you'll need to get targeted by the healer to possibly save you. Note the shield lasts longer the more combo points you have built up.

Ideally we need about 3 min on the timer to burn him down before enrage. This means getting through phase 1 and 2 quicker. Perhaps Jacki and John can deal with the sparks themselves? and we can keep more dps on Malygos? Obviously getting two sparks stacked and in range for melee and ranged to take advantage is the real key to getting through phase 1 quickly. Eric we'll try not having you pull him so far to the edge next time, maybe until you are just to the outside of the inner circle. Should let melee stand on stacked sparks in the middle and still be able to get his hit box...

Phase 2, we gotta stay alive, which means health buffs, hots and lots of dps. The quicker we get the flying guys down even 1 or 2 that is less missles we are getting hit by. I'm open to ideas on how to speed this phase up...

have danny and eric in tanking so we can pull 2 at a time for the phase 2 would work as along as they are grouped together for evrthing. And just let the dps go all out .

having danny tank mal would give faster threat gen due to the tanking differnece of pally to warrior and everyone must be using all trinkets and anything else to boost the dps . dont use a trinket or special til the frist vortex is done, unless the cd is more then 2 min and then once it done we use them. Second have all trinkets ready for when we stand in sparks and when he in air and blow them again there, trying to get him to 40% or lower.

Ok, here are some thoughts as we struggle with mal:

Reasons for slow progress.

1st) We do not have the ideal group makeup for the fight: 2 healers (one a priest) 1 tank and 7 strong dps is ideal. (We have 3 healers and none with the kind of group healing/stam buff a priest brings in)
2nd) We only attempt him once per week (If everyone was done with naxx, we could go 2 days per week)
3rd) Our current strat might require to much luck..to get him into stage 3 with enough time: Sparks (like last night on last attempt, all coming from the south and easy to deal with)
4th) Lack of understanding of how to use drakes in phase 3.

In our last attempt, we got him in to stage 3 with enough time to kill him.
The issue we have now is that we have not seen stage 3 as much as 1-2. So we don't know it as well. Those who have more practice tend to live longer (Mike, Rob, Rhys and others who run EOE more then the rest of us have an easier time with it) Even though I was the last person to die on our first phase 3 attempt last night, the more ppl have seen it, the easier it is for them. Those who are still not sure how to do phase 3, need to: Do a bit of research and practice at least 1-2 days per week for a few minutes out in Coldara, "Aces High" daily. Rob brought up the idea of not designating healers for that part, but simply do a rotation that includes healing one's self, having everyone focus on dps + healing themselves.

So.. my idea is to give this one more *Strong* attempt with current strat. (But would it help if John specs dps for this attempt?) That means next week giving it 12+ attempts and if we don't get him into phase 3 consistently (more skill/ability then luck) with enough time to kill him, we make changes.

Which could include:

*John spec dps for the fight and use the Tank kite strat. (Little help from DK if needed) From what I understand the DK tactic is only to positon the sparks, and once done, all dps should be able to nuke if fast with a few hits. (Tank should be able to see the sparks opposite his position, it's the ones behind him that he might need assistance locating. He can simply head in the opposite direction, turning Mal's head towards the outer rim during kite and force the sparks over the middle. We changed from this strat because we thought it might make things less complicated and help with threat generation (If he is mainly in a fixed positon..and the tank doesn't have to focus on to many other things)

*John and Eric spec dps, I spec back to tanking, we try with 2 healers.

If anyone has other thought's suggestions post them here.
Btw, if we had our hunter (Chris) are those sparks trapable?

Last edited:
Rob brought up the idea of not designating healers for that part, but simply do a rotation that includes healing one's self, having everyone focus on dps + healing themselves.

The one time that I did EoE with Valanthe's group, this is what I did as a healer. Target your own drake, stack up combo points healing yourself, then use the group heal. Don't bother trying to pick drakes to heal...way too hard, since most raid frame mods are NOT going to show the drakes, and you have to heal those, not the player.

We just stayed in a tightly packed cluster and kept moving clockwise to avoid static fields.

Another suggestion that I've read is in Phase 2, only move to every other shield that spawns. This reduces the amount of time spent running in the open between shields, making healing a bit less intense. It does mean that you have to group up pretty tightly near the end of the current shield.

Last edited:
I have done this fight successfully (on my druid healer) a few times as both heal drake and dps drake. In both cases, I would do an action then bump my left key, with adjustments as needed to stay with the group. This kept everyone slowly moving and made it MUCH less likely to stay in the static field. One dedicated healing drake on phase 3 makes a huge difference. They target themselves, 5 stack healing and aoe heal, repeatedly. The dps drakes, with proper stacking, should be getting ever 30k damage per tick once their rhythm is down. Practicing Aces high goes a long way towards this, but it IS slightly different as you have to heal yourself on aces high.

As to Phases 1&2, a druid healer is really awesome in there. The HoT's and insta casts when getting thrown up in the air lead to massive healing potential on a LOT of the party. Some ten mans, I heal everyone while the other healer heals the tank. This works well, if a little chaotic. Because everyone is standing in the sparks where they can, the group heal of a druid has the maximum effect on the worst damage. Nice. I cannot speak for the other healing types.

With no John next week it may mean no DK so we'll likely have to kite unless we recruit a new DK. My other thought is to get Eric's Priest geared...

If you can get 3 stacks on a drake in Aces High and keep yourself alive you'll go along way to mastering the combo point shuffle needed to be really good.

I use the same do an action or two one click left strategy. Following somebody hasn't really worked for me, they tend to move themselves out of the static field but I'm still in it on follow...

Yeah, our healing is pretty much setup like Ron says except we have 2 pally healers and 1 druid. (We have renee do heals in the vortext) By the way, you don't absolutely have to heal on aces high if you do: 112-112 rinse and repeat, you will have 5 stacks of fire dots up pretty fast and win before you die.

I agree with Rhys for 10 man, 3 healers is one dps too little. Getting through the first 2 phases in a timely manner is crucial. Of course there is no fall-back, but running out of time doesnt leave room for fall back either.

As to stacking the dots if you are a dps'er, the first round stack high, and each consecutive round you only need 2 dots or so. Its important to get a high dot stack the first time to allow more time to refresh as each refresh timer is built off that first stack.

Last edited:
Well.. it helps to know this: All drakes group up on one spot, roughly level with Malygos. Must be at least 30 yards away from him, and close enough to use Flame Spike.

It's not just stactic field either. He does: Arcane Pulse: Deals 28275 to 31725 Arcane damage to anyone within 30 yards of Malygos.

I think this is why I was dieing so much in phase 3. To close (Did not know the 30yard thing)

Last edited:
The proper way for 3rd phase DPS would be 1-2-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2-1-1-2 etc. Make sure when you get focused you hit 1-1-5 and then back to 1-2-1-1-2... People should be pulling around 7k+ on the the deeps meter and should have 10 or more stacks.

You should be able to get over 30k per tick by the end of the fight if you are doing it correctly. My record is 37k per tick, but I am sure others have gone higher.

Back