Leveling up in Prophecies

codyburk7

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum here and excited about gaming with you all once I'm invited into the guild. In the meantime, I was wondering if there is an effective strategy for leveling up. I am a level 14 R/W currently in Kryta. It is a real grind just completing these low-level quests for 500 experience points. Is there a more effective way to level up faster? What do you all do when you need to get to the next level quickly?

I appreciate the help.

Hey Cody - welcome.

This is just my opinion, but I don't know that there is an effective way to level up quickly in Prophecies. It was the first game and designed to take a while so you could get used to the mechanics and environment. Once Factions came out - that was like having a jet-pack for leveling. Now I start all my characters somewhere else. If you have other games get there as quickly as you can and level up.

In the meantime, early on the xp for quests is pretty small and there is a lot of running around. Once you get farther into the game it picks up - so I'd say:

Limit yourself to the missions and primary quests until you get deeper into the game.

Once you get to where quests are giving you 200-300 xp do every quest that comes your way. Many are pretty easy.

If you get a scroll that multiplies xp - use it.

Check out the video guides from a guy called Doombox - he has 40 or 50 about how to do things in Guild Wars.

And - do have fun. I've found everyone in the guild to be helpful.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, Abba. I'm doing just about every quest possible right now, but it seems like I am just getting rolled over by some of the roaming packs of monsters in Kryta. I'll check out some of the videos.

Are you creating new characters in Factions, for exmaple, and then going back later to complete Prophecies? I have the first 3 campaigns of GW, I'm just missing EoN. If it's easier to level up in later campaigns maybe I'll start there in the future.

Thanks for everything!

Last edited:
Since you're already in Kryta, it might be something to head over to Kamadan (Nightfall) and pick up a few heroes. They won't be level 20, but they should be ~15 and all of you guys can level up together, plus heroes are, by definition, better than henchman. Of course if you give your warrior hero all elementalist spells you'll ruin him, but that's an easy fix ;).

I also agree with Abba, Proph is a slow level campaign. Typically, if you just play through the game you won't get to level 20 until either Augury Rock or the beginning of the Southern Shiverpeaks. Which is definitely the last half of the game. So if you can manage the missions I would continue with the storyline. And don't be shy to ask for help on Alliance chat :)

Anytime.

When I start a new character - it is usually start in Factions. Factions is not my favorite - I hate the stuff in the city and love the rest - but you can level up in a hurry. I did the same thing when I got a new hero. I'd take them into factions and level them up as quickly as I could.

Yes - you can go from any game to the others with the same character. Ideally, your character will complete all four areas.

I was looking through the Doombox videos and found a couple I have not seen but need to take a look at because I am working on them now.

The biggest thing to remember - is - do whatever Stc says. He is our fearless leader and main gw guru.

Last edited:
A little note on Nightfall, any collectors items you need for armour, and items for a banquet let me know. Just holler for Ursen, I'm ig most of the time on one character or another.

I would take your Ranger to Cantha and do the quests in the city. I leveled up most of my characters to level 20 fairly quickly that way.

Wow! Thanks for all the help. This is great! I'm going to head over to some of the other campaigns as soon as I get some game time. I haven't had much time to play today at all, but I'll be in touch.

Thanks for posting in the Get to Know... thread. I'll look for you in game.

Thanks guys. Went to Cantha and leveled up to almost 21 in a matter of hours. 2-3,000 XP just for running around? I can't believe how easy it is compared to Prophecies.

Or maybe he hacked the server and got an extra level!!!!

/conspiracy <_<

Haha...I'm such a noob! I guess my excitement was a little premature. Anway, I obviously did get to level 20 and then headed over to Kamadan and unlocked the Heroes. Things are going well now.

How do the skill points work exactly at this level? Is it just 1 point for each "level" you reach hereafter or is there some other system? Also, I need a good way to make some cash quickly to finish up some armor sets that I have going.

How do the skill points work exactly at this level? Is it just 1 point for each "level" you reach hereafter or is there some other system? Also, I need a good way to make some cash quickly to finish up some armor sets that I have going.

Yes, after level 20, every time you "level up", you get a skill point.

As for making money, that seems to be the million dollar question everyone asks (haha, get it, million dollar, money..). Personally, I just play through the game (missions, quests, titles) and limit my spending. That's how I get most of my money. But I'm far from the wealthiest person in GW, yet I'm no poor man. However, in the big leagues it seems like power trading is the way to go (buy low, sell high), but it requires a lot of knowledge in what's worth what in the GW economy, something I'm terrible at.

You get cash quickly by answering the question, "How do I get cash quickly?" for 100g ea time. Seriously if you aren't into a lot of buying and selling, or too new to know how to effectively just pick up everything and either sell to a merchant, or salvage for good stuff. Go to the wiki and see what salvages for what and watch the material and rare material trader prices. Biggest mistake I made was selling all salvaged materials to the merchant instead of the material and rare material traders for a long time. Some things like iron go up and down all the time. You can also craft some common materials for rare materials and make good money sometimes doing that. Just pick up everything, even the junk, 2 or 3 gold is still money, and it adds up quicker than you think. Also read up on chest runs. Last but not least there is http://www.gwauctions.org/ an easier way to buy and sell without eating up a lot of valuable game time. Also a fair way to do price checks.

One other thing I treat my in game acquisitions the same I treat my rl money. Stay open handed to friends and think of gold as a God's gift to you and don't try to be obsessive about gaining the world, keep a relaxed attitude without being foolish. There one sentence devotion. ;)

Last edited:
Oh! Another thing for making money. Identify everything, even the white drops. After a certain point (probably when you're facing level 20+ foes) it becomes profitable to identify the white items.

Guild Wars Wiki said:
Identification Kits for 100gp come with 25 uses (4gp/use).
Superior Identification Kits for 500gp come with 100 uses (5gp/use).

It's a good idea to identify anything you plan to sell; the gross extra income usually ends up paying for the cost of the kit.

Identifying white (common) items is recommended when the unidentified value is 25Gold or more.

Stc is right - IDENTIFY EVERYTHING. As long as an item jumps four gold you have lost nothing (against the cost of an identification kit). As long as you have enough items jump more than +4 they negate any loss for items that only go +1 or +2.

I don't worry too much about items worth less than 20g, although I have seen white items worth 19 or 20g jump to 45 or 50 - and it is common to see white items worth 50 or 51g jump into the 70's, 80's or even 90's. It adds up in a hurry.

This might be a good place to give us some thoughts on salvaging items, and redeeming quest rewards, such as battle Commendations, for kits and other items. Who knows? I might be missing something obvious there also.

I salvage for granite and glittering dust - they make Powerstones.

Otherwise, only if it has a rune or inscription I need. Most other materials seem to just come.

Back