Leveling an alt...post 2.3

Kevin

So here's my deal, I had heard that grinding was the best xp/hour pre-2.3 unless you were following one of those two guides that everyone says are really awesome (which I don't have for alliance...d'oh!). Post 2.3, I'm guessing that this "structured questing" approach is even faster.

I'm a pally, who's willing to do pretty much anything to get to 70 ASAP, since I'm starting to realize that (for me) the game starts at 70.

Does anyone have any guides that they could share (without breaking copyrights), or personal experiences that would help this go a little faster for me? After leveling a mage, this pally is painful. (yes, I'm level 35 and prot AOE grinding. =D)

Thanks guys, I'm just looking to make this as quick and painless as possible, I felt bad for Gavin trying to grind a pally to 70, and now I have sympathy as well as empathy. =(

Jame's guide is the best...however...post 2.3 I have found that leveling is actually harder...even though there is less XP to gain...for some reason my XP/hr is much lower...even though I am doing the same things...

Hmm, I have some non-guilded alts that I have been leveling post 2.3 and leveling has improved dramatically. I love the new dustwallow quests.

I took a horde mage from 32-37 in one day, a dwarf hunter from 31-37 in one day and a ne rogue from 40-46 in one day. Granted, they all had full rested experience. (and by one day, I mean a 6-8 hour play session)

I have leveled many characters, including some that are no longer around from the beta days. I have always found that quests are the best way to go. I have never grinded to just level.

On Kagnus, he level'd prot, and what I would do if if I needed to kill x-number of mobs or get x-number of drops for a quest, I would do the aoe tank thing on the quest mobs. If I had to kill 10 of a certain mob, I could usually get 3-5 of them done in one combat session. Much easier than doing 1, then drink, then another, then drink...etc. For caster type mobs, you have to learn how to do the break los thing.

Also, what I do is I grab every quest in an area, then start from the first quest in my log for that area and go down the list. I don't move on to the next until the one I am working on is done. This is where some people probably waste alot of time...they start a quest, they deem it to be a "pain" and run around trying to find those quests they can do that seem "easy". Don't waste time "avoiding quests"...because it wastes time :)

Also, I use no guides. I used the same technique leveling 60-70 when TBC hit. Go into an area, grab all the quests, start at the top, go down the list. Turn in, level, onto next set of quests and/or area...and I beat Deedlyt to be the first 70 in the Forgiven! :p Warlocks and their dot/fear hax!

Last edited:
Ditto to Azolas' post, with one addition: I do tend to skip fedex quests that take me away from the zone I am currently questing in (take this item to this person halfway across the world, or talk to this guy in this city on the other continent).

I was thinking to myself: self...if they increased xp from quests...I do quests...so why not be a ret pally, have a little more fun, and be able to do the non-grinding quests a little more efficiently. I'm not a fan of PUGging lowbie instances, so I'll just keep a tanking set of gear and respec if I ever find myself with a few good guildie friends to grind, say in SM or ZF or the like. Probably respec to a mostly holy build with SoC for Outlands leveling. Instances in outlands = happiness

I agree with Connor. The way I level is to pick up every quest and then look at them for a minute to see which ones are likely in the same area. Having levelled 5 toons to 60+ I have memorized most of the quest hubs and can now do most of the 20-70 levelling by remembering where most of the things are. I too pass on the fedex quests...not by abandoning them or not taking them, but by waiting until I am done a certain quest hub and am going to be travelling anyway. Some of them are worth tons of XP and generally chain and give more quests (the mechanical Yeti quests that start in Winterspring for instance). It also is usually the linking quest that gets you into the next hub that is available for your level.

I follow James' Alliance Leveling guide, but post 2.3 you can add the previously elite quests to the mix for added xp. In leveling my druid (currently 52 in just over 3 days game time) I have skipped all grind sessions and only done instances with run throughs from a guildie. ZF and SM. I would skip the instances under a regular group basis because they are not worth the time xp/hour wise post 2.3 imo. James' guide works in the travel quests to their full advantage as well.

Just my two cents.

Sean

ps: If your concerned about gearing while lvling then buy ah greens. If you got a tbc main money is not really an object. With skinning I managed to fundraise everything while lvling anyways, but even if you have to inject cash every now and then it is worth the speed of lvling.

Last edited:
Back