Leveling 59 - 65 test results

Xandar

I tried something with my latest toon - a Holy pally. This toon entered outlands at level 59 with 200g, and no epic ground mount. Pure gatherer (skinner / miner). He received NO help from my other toons. Actually my bank alt was a drain because stuff I sent to my bank alt never resulted in money coming back....

At mid way through 65, he has:

maxed mining : 375

NOT maxed skinning : 367 (this surprised me that mining leveled faster)

1100g (enough for flying mount skill AND mount)

700 +healing in heal mode, 400 +dam in solo mode. I am told this is pretty well geared for a lvl 65. I have seen 70 pally's who tried to heal with less (one in a heroic...dropped out of that one)

has cleared HH and Zanger of ALL quests known to me, and is down to just bone wastes in Terrokar. I have done a total of about 6 instance runs as a main healer in all. The rest was pretty much solo except for a couple group quests.

I hear a LOT that it is 'impossible' to get enough money for a flying mount...based on my messing around, I have to disagree. Avoiding the AH except to look for something specific, as well as not having a profession drain, does wonders to your bottom line.

Reporting this just for fun, if its useful, great, if not *shrug* nothing to see here *grin*

Last edited:
That's very interesting data. It definitely helps that you had 2 gathering professions, but I would say the bigger gain would be that you didn't spend any money on gear from the AH. It's amazing how fast you can drain your cash supply by buying stuff that you'll replace in the next few days worth of quests.

I found a lot of the same when I played Durruck to 70 - I had enough for my flying mount (and helped Ambry with hers). I didn't buy or sell much of anything on the AH (altho I did save EVERYTHING that I picked up .... packrat by nature). I did have one small advantage - we already had epic ground mounts pre-TBC. We'll have the same advantage when WotLK comes out, unless I level a different alt (probably my druid if I do). Then again, flying mounts are supposedly going to be disabled from 70-80 until you do quests to release them.

But in the push to 70, ignore the shinies, just keep questing and doing instances, and you'll be very close to your flying mount at 70.

Actually, ignoring the shinies even AT 70 has allowed me to purchase 3 epic flyers so far. I would guess that no one would call my toons undergeared either. I simply don't spend on things that will soon be replaced.

By the way, I pick up everything along the way and vendor it. Worth 1 silver? np into the bag to sell. Silvers lead to gold very quickly. I have seen people NOT pick up vendor trash off mobs that is worth more than a Gold by selling to vendor. I just don't understand this. I am always limited on bag space, but have developed a habit of emptying anytime I am near a town.

Ok, My highest right now is 63, and since I am trying to save for a flyer, and an epic flyer, let me ask some points of advice.

Enchants, worth the money on this lower level gear? So far I have purchased some of the +10 stamina patches, but other than that I have ignored Enchants for the most part. Do they help enough to be worth it until you get your really good gear at 70?

Same question but insert Jewels for slots. Since Jewels can get you quite a bit of improvement on the same piece of armor, I am tempted by them.

I am about a bubble from 64 and have about 500 gold, so I am going well. I sell a lot of crafter things on one of my alts that makes me extra cash, and have not level engineering past about 315. So that may be why I have so much atm.

My advice:

Enchants - so NOT worth it until you have something that will be around for a good long while. I have a 375 enchanter and STILL make this statement. The advantage they provide is so marginal in the short term that its a waste of money.

Armor kits - can be worth it if you find a good deal, or get some leather and someone will make for you. Don't spend much on these though. 400 extra health (four +10 stam patches) for 15g or so is nice when leveling though.

Gems - Green quality gems are an outstanding value. For about 2g a pop you can get some nice additions and customization possibilities to your socketable armor. These usually provide >80% of the blue quality gems. Blue quality gems are NOT at all worth it while leveling. As said, you can get 80% of the benefit for usually less than 10% of the cost. Since the item is only a temporary piece, its not worth spending on blue gems while leveling.

That said, all epic socketable items I have on my 70's have blue gems and the best enchants for that piece. At 70 it becomes more of a Min/Max game. These pieces I hold for months, however.

Back