Level Progress

At first, I thought level scaling was an odd thing. Now, however, I love it. It's awesome that experience is percentage-based rather than absolute value. I got to play with Joshinator and my brother (who still needs to join ToJ and LoE) in an area suited nearly 20 levels below my level, but I still leveled up twice while running with them. It was great. :D

And my main--Kendrik the Green, a sylvari guardian--is now level 45. :D

Yes, my levels keep climbing, but since I'm aiming for zone completion, I don't tend to move into content that matches them. I've been working through Sparkfly Fen in my seventies, and I'm still getting plenty of experience, which is nice. I also, sometimes, run back to the Norn or Human starter zones if my play time is running out for the day and I haven't managed to nab my five DEs for the daily. I seem to consistently find active DEs and a good spread of "kill variety" there, which seems much more difficult in later, risen infested zones. Even though I'm nearing 80 and playing in 1-10 areas, I still keep advancing nicely.

I wouldn't mind if the scaling was a little bit more severe in the power department. Even on my non-bursty mesmer I kill things in two hits of my auto-attack.

*edit* That seemed a bit opaque ... put it this way. You'll always earn 10 levels doing 1-400 crafting whether at level 10 or level 70. At level 10 this could take maybe 100k xp and at level 70 it could take 500k xp (not actual numbers!)

If anyone is interested in the actual numbers, they are listed out on a table on the wiki.

If it's correct, it akes 495k experience to get from 78 to 80, which is just 5k shy of the second tier Survivor achievement.

I've been jumping around from the starter areas to areas about 10 to 15 levels below mine and I seem to level about the same pace, approximately 90 minutes per level. Don't know if I'd be going faster if I was doing same level content, but the difference between mildly underleveled areas and massively underleveled areas doesn't seem to be much.

Although I just realized, part of that may be due to the fact I'm only hitting those starter areas to finish my daily, so that's probably skewing my percentage.

I leveled pretty good on any characters who work on dailies on a regular basis in the orchard in Queensdale. Whatever I lack in Daily variety or in gathering I make up quickly in Dredgehaunt, which is also good experience, and don't pay to get to because it is right off of Holebraek.

True or False?

I was told that - in order to get the 500k xp needed for the second tier for survivor it has to all be done in one session, i.e. no logging off and coming back in like you could do in the original Guild Wars.

Anyone know the definitive answer?

yes, you need to stay in one zone as well from what I understand. Best to take a character into a unexplored zone (as high as you feel comfortable in) and pick up events, harvesting, daily bonus and all the skill challenges and vistas you feel comfortable with. A lot of the non-hostile creatures were around long enough that with bonus and food active, I'd get almost 400xp per kill.

I got it in Lornar's Pass last weekend. It took several hours.

I really enjoy all the feedback and different points of view on things...thats just a small way this guild is awesome in

Agreed, Waynos!

On the Survivor thing, I had no idea you had to get all the experience in one session. Kinda crazy. I'm at 77 now, I'm thinking of crafting the rest of my way to 80 to see if I pick up the second tier on the way.

Me (Undeserved Grace) and Malchiel both hit lv70 last night. (lv71 before i logged out)
for me this is my first character over lv57 (which is what my main is)
i think my alt has become my main..although squishy at times i can't get enough of the thief class lol

Derk that is pretty good as busy as you are. Congratulations to you and enok both.

Yes, indeed it is. Congratulations!

I have a more than full time job along with a busy life and some travel - so it was hard work getting that first character to level 80. But it sure did feel good.

I'm Closing the gap at lv75 but i have an upper respritory infection and double ear infections so i will be ingame off and on.
as excited as i am to hit my first lv80 it is hard to evade and blow your nose at the same time

I think there is a boon for that if you put about 30 into Toughness on your Guardian.

Praying for you, Waynos.

Abba, I think that's actually a Necro trait. AoE poison and fear on evasion. ;)

Waynos just don't get confused and blow your nose with the keyboard. EEWWWW!!! :p

Jumping in late but I have:

Lvl 80 Eng
Lvl 35 Mes
And a couple of others below teens

With both Eng and Mes I found them a little squishy at first and it takes a while to settle on a play style. My Engineer now shuns all his weapons relying on Flamethrower 90% of the time and switching to Elixir gun if I want to provide support. I have a elixir/flamethrower trait set which makes it easy to switch between the two. Juggernaut has made huge bonus and once I had it I noticed my engineer surviving a lot more fights.
The mesmer has taken a while to get used to and the videos mentioned previously really helped. I still find it difficult dealing with large groups but find I'm slowly getting the hang if it.

Back