Let's Talk Thief

I'm trying out a unique approach to the thief that seems to be working well. I'm using a Might-stacking approach. Here's what I'm using:
10/30/0/30/0 with P/P and P/P (yes, that double pistols, both times)
Soldier's Armor (P/V/T) with Superior Runes of Strength (+20% might duration, 3% chance to gain might when hit, +5% damage when under the effects of might, and +90 power)
Beserker Pistols (P/Pr/Cr) with Superior Sigil of Battle (gain 3 stacks of might when swapping to this weapon) and Superior Sigil of Force (+5% damage)
Soldier's Spineguard (P/V/T) with Ruby Jewels (P/Pr/Cr)
Beserker Amulet, Rings, and Accessories (P/Pr/Cr)
Food: Bowl of Orrian Truffle and Meat Stew (100% chance to gain might on dodge)
Buff: Skale Venom

Traits:
10 Deadly Arts (Venomous Strength - gain 2 stacks of might when using venom... I can't tell if its working with Skale Venom yet - still testing)
30 Critical Strikes (Signets of Power - gain 5 stacks of might when using a signet) (Pistol Mastery - +10% damage with pistols) (Executioner - +20% damage to targets below 50% health)
30 Acrobatics (Power of Inertia - gain might whenever you dodge) (Quick Recovery - gain 2 initiative every 10 seconds) (Quick Pockets - gain three initiative when swapping weapons)

Playstyle: Basically every dodge gives me 2 might. Dodge twice, and I get 4 might. Swap weapons (in combat) and that's another 3 might. Pop all three signets and that's another 9 might. So now I'm up around 16 stacks of might. If the Skale Venom is working, that's now 18 stacks of might (all self-generated). I just keep dodging and swapping weapons and unloading with pistols through the whole fight. Pistol #3 is my main "spammable" skill. And if I don't need the extra health and toughness for this ranged combat style, I can easily go full Berserker's on everything for maximum damage output.

Crunching the numbers, its not quite as deadly as double daggers on a glass thief with high precision to crit every chance, but its pretty close and I get to fight at range rather than melee and deal consistent high damage. The playstyle does take some getting used to.

I'm trying out a unique approach to the thief that seems to be working well. I'm using a Might-stacking approach. Here's what I'm using:
10/30/0/30/0 with P/P and P/P (yes, that double pistols, both times)
Soldier's Armor (P/V/T) with Superior Runes of Strength (+20% might duration, 3% chance to gain might when hit, +5% damage when under the effects of might, and +90 power)
Beserker Pistols (P/Pr/Cr) with Superior Sigil of Battle (gain 3 stacks of might when swapping to this weapon) and Superior Sigil of Force (+5% damage)
Soldier's Spineguard (P/V/T) with Ruby Jewels (P/Pr/Cr)
Beserker Amulet, Rings, and Accessories (P/Pr/Cr)
Food: Bowl of Orrian Truffle and Meat Stew (100% chance to gain might on dodge)
Buff: Skale Venom

Traits:
10 Deadly Arts (Venomous Strength - gain 2 stacks of might when using venom... I can't tell if its working with Skale Venom yet - still testing)
30 Critical Strikes (Signets of Power - gain 5 stacks of might when using a signet) (Pistol Mastery - +10% damage with pistols) (Executioner - +20% damage to targets below 50% health)
30 Acrobatics (Power of Inertia - gain might whenever you dodge) (Quick Recovery - gain 2 initiative every 10 seconds) (Quick Pockets - gain three initiative when swapping weapons)

Playstyle: Basically every dodge gives me 2 might. Dodge twice, and I get 4 might. Swap weapons (in combat) and that's another 3 might. Pop all three signets and that's another 9 might. So now I'm up around 16 stacks of might. If the Skale Venom is working, that's now 18 stacks of might (all self-generated). I just keep dodging and swapping weapons and unloading with pistols through the whole fight. Pistol #3 is my main "spammable" skill. And if I don't need the extra health and toughness for this ranged combat style, I can easily go full Berserker's on everything for maximum damage output.

Crunching the numbers, its not quite as deadly as double daggers on a glass thief with high precision to crit every chance, but its pretty close and I get to fight at range rather than melee and deal consistent high damage. The playstyle does take some getting used to.

looks cool..what where your trait specifics?

I've seen a similar thing posted for thieves with two sets of D/D and superior sigils of battle.

I wonder if the sigil of battle is going to get tweaked in the near future. It seems to be getting popular for many professions. Both the much-hated D/D bunker Ele and the HGH Engineer use it to help keep large, consistent stacks of might going. Makes sense, because it lets you build more defensively and then keep damage up with those might stacks.

Have you been thiefing in WvW? Curious about our resident thieves' take on the new traps.

Trait specifics are listed. Was there something in particular that isn't clear?

EDIT: In the interest of specifics, I have constructed the build on the template website so everyone can see it. Maybe this is more clear:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRAqa6alcmKOncy5E+5Ex2DfCUeqV4mdPuqVrKA-jAyAYrBRTiCEVI0ZvioxW5KiGreBTVSEV7NKiWtMAVjB-e
(just remember to add Skale Venom consumable, too - picked up in Iron Marches for 16 copper each)

thanks the template makes it easier for me and my short term trait memory...so much engineer work i think im getting turrets syndrome

Just rolled my first thief - going to work towards the Condition Thief described above - unless someone has some new suggestions. Particularly since the various updates.

I am currently working on a low level thief and the best thing I have come across, thanks to Orin, is signet of Malice. Used with S/P I am a least staying alive more. Now lvl 30 and holding my own most of the time. 10 of my trait points are aimed towards half-fall damage. Set up this early 2/1/7/10/0. Needle Trap, Caltrops, Ambush, Warband support.

Loving my thief - still getting used to him but thinking it is going to be a fun ride to level 80.

I played condi-thief with p/d on my way to 80 and it was fun. I found having lots of stealth greatly enhanced quest completion without having to kill champions (looking at you, Orr!) along with map completion. When I started playing again about 2 weeks ago, I switched to a power/crit build using shortbow primarily since I'm spending most of my time in the WvW zerg but it's working well for general play too. I kill things a lot faster, especially in AoE, but I'm a bit more fragile and and don't have much in the way of a safe way out if things go South unless I reserve a skill slot for Shadow Refuge.

I've been using my short bow, too - with a sword/dagger back-up. Enjoying it.

Finally got to level 55 - where the play is much more enjoyable. Loving on my thief.

Currently running a 0/20/10/0/20 - but thinking about shifting to 10/20/0/0/20 - headed to 10/30/0/0/30. Sword/Dagger and Short bow. This is following the settings in this link - I think Taran initially posted this, but I can't seem to find it now. Word of warning - there is some language in the video.

Tons of fun.

This is my build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNA...jwBBIhCiUACiZoFRjtgpIasKZER1KlYmbFRrWKgJVWB-e

I am going for condition damage for pistol bleeds, and stealth for survivability. It's for PvE...I don't really do PvP.

Please let me know what you think, since I haven't much experience yet at lvl 80.

Looks good
ascended gear is a bit rough to get
but im sure that would work well with the right exotic gear

also if your doing bleed condition as an option you could use dag/dag for the death blossom melee bleeds and pistol/dag for range bleeds
and use caltrops as a utility as well to spread more bleeding.
example;
F1 steal to target,hit death blossom 3 times,drop caltrop utility,dodge away leaving more caltrops and stack bleeds with pistol
those are just added thoughts and i must say i really like your build and thanks for sharing it

ok so i've been playing with thief builds looking for that build that survives well in pve and dungeons and helps to support allies too.
here is what i came up with;

GEAR
Armor Shamans w/ Sup Runes of Altruism
Accessories Shamans w/ Exq Saphire Jewels
Back Soldiers w/ Exq Saphire Jewels

Weapons
Sword/Pistol with Sup Sigils of Force and Life
Pistol/Pistol with Sup Sigils of Agony and Leeching

Traits
30 = 3,4,11
20 = 2,4
20 = 5,7

Trait effects for Allies
Stealthing - gives them regeneration for 13 1/2 seconds and restores 3,653 HP (4,056 when sigil of life is maxed)
this hides them and heals them when mobs are hammering your group (if ally attacks stealth is broken and foes will engage)

Stealing - gives 13 1/2 seconds of fury,might,swift,vigor and steals two boons from foe granting those boons to your allies (ranges varies from 240-360)
Stealing has a 29 1/2 second cooldown
I was thinking of the benefits of the boons applied to allies every 29 seconds along with boons they get from themselves and others

Here are some stats
Attack 2,057
Armor 2,386
Health 21,275
Heal pwr 1,207 (1,457 with sigil of life maxed)
Steal Recharge 20%
Boon Duration 35%
Cond Dmg 792

Here is the link
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRA...mCAiaAkCBmKAIDqIasFhFRjVvAThiIq2loIa1SBEoyI-e

my main focus was on vitality and heal power.
if you have a large health pool and can heal easily not much can kill you..plus add buffs and some support for ally's and its a win win
this build has some potential...cant wait to try it out.
any thoughts or suggestions are welcome

UPDATE
tryed the build and it did great in CM dungeon

Last edited:
NEW UPDATE ON MY LAST POST

By changing the armor to Clerics with same runes,sigils and exq jewels,
here is the number comparisons

Shamans Stats Clerics Stats
Attack 2,057 Attack 2,598
Armor 2,386 Armor 2,962
Health 21,275 Health 13,465
Heal pwr 1,207 (1,457 with sigil maxed) Heal pwr 1,467 (1,717 with sigil maxed)
Steal Recharge 20% Steal Recharge 15%
Boon Duration 35% Boon Duration 40%
Cond Dmg 792 Cond Dmg 150

changed traits
30 = 3,4,11 (remove cond,regen me and allies when i area stealth them)
25 = 2,4 (21 sec of might per dodge,28 seconds of swift when i kill an enemy) dodge 3 times in a row without running out of vigor gaining might each time
15 = 5 (14 sec of fury,might and swift for me and allies when i steal) steal is available every 30.5 seconds

noted differences in stats;
1. higher damage with clerics
2. ally buffs from steal last 14 sec (instead of 13 1/2)
3. Ally regen from stealth 4,382 (instead of 3,653) last 14 sec (instead of 13 1/2)
4. healing pwr is higher allowing you to heal more efficient with signet of malice and stealth regens for you and ally's
5. health pool is noticeably smaller with clerics
6. added Pwr,Tough and high Healing power makes staying alive alot easier

i have not geared to clerics yet but the number crunches tell me i can not only survive and support but deal a much higher damage with attacks.
i enjoy staying alive but it is more fun if you can put out a fair amount of damage and keep health up.

all input,thoughts and suggestions are welcome
lets work together and make the ultimate thief sharing our knowledge!!!!!!!!

so for now thats my take on this build
here is the link so others can see the full stats and maybe play with the numbers
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQRA...oNEa0UARjaAkCBmKAILqIasFhFRjV1ATpiIq2loIa1A-e

Last edited:
My thief is still only 51 but using some rejuvenating equipment, and it seems to do well. Using s/p and doing fairly well. Will be hesitant to switch from sword main because it seems to work so well and I am trying to go for that weapon achievement. 15,0,15,11,0 for now. Using short bow for ranged work.

Shortbow works great for range but hits multiple targets so be careful if your trying to pull a foe and not a mob lol

Back