Let Us Cherish Thankfulness

Marcylene

Amy Carmichael
In Every things give thanks. I Thessalonians 5:18
In every thing give thanks.
This is a constant word to me. It is so easy to give thanks for what one naturally chooses, but that does not cover the "every thing" of the text.
One morning lately, in speaking of some small trouble, I quoted, "In everything give thanks," and at once someone answered, "But I cannot give thanks for everything." Now, if our God tells us to do a thing and we say we cannot there is something wrong somewhere, for we all know the words, " I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13). It is treason to say, "I cannot," but first we should make sure that we are commanded to do this that we feel we cannot do.
I do not think we are to give thanks for everything. To make sure of this verse, which is sometimes quoted with for instead of in. The word is not give thanks "for" everything, but "in" everything, which is a different matter.
We can do that. We will do that.
I often think we must disappoint our kind Father by not noticing the little things (as well as the countless great things) that He does to give us pleasure.

From A Gentle Spirit

Back